Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Oline issues continue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Our Oline will continue to be a weak spot again this season. You have to blame Dave Caldwell. The line is just as bad as when Dave took over. He's had multiple opportunities to upgrade and continued to ignore it. 

We practically have the same exact line as the one that struggled last season outside of Robinson and he's a rookie. Josh Wells is taking reps with the 1st team for God's sake. This alone should get Dave fires. And why not bring In more help? If this front office is satisfied with what they have on oline,, then I can't trust this team's decision making any longer.
I want an all pro o-line IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!
(08-08-2017, 07:22 AM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]I want an all pro o-line IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!

All pro isn't good enough, we need FULL CONSISTENCY.
(08-08-2017, 07:10 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]Our Oline will continue to be a weak spot again this season. You have to blame Dave Caldwell. The line is just as bad as when Dave took over. He's had multiple opportunities to upgrade and continued to ignore it. 

We practically have the same exact line as the one that struggled last season outside of Robinson and he's a rookie. Josh Wells is taking reps with the 1st team for God's sake. This alone should get Dave fires. And why not bring In more help? If this front office is satisfied with what they have on oline,, then I can't trust this team's decision making any longer.

I agree with most of what you say.   Not sure about firing Dave, but I agree with the rest of it.   The front office has not paid near enough attention to the deficiencies in our O-line.  You can't have a good offense without a good offensive line.   That's all there is to it.  It doesn't matter who the QB is, or the RBs, or the WRs.  Nothing works unless the offensive line works.  The best teams in the league are the ones with the best offensive lines. 

You can have "12-4" players at every other position, but if you have a "6-10" offensive line, you will wind up 6-10.
The biggest concern is the lack of push up front in the running game. Over the years though they have factually and statistically improved in pass protection. So there's at least that one lone bright spot.

At some point I think we need to consider kicking Linder back inside at guard. Don't care if it's left or right. And I would prefer to see Bowanko installed at center. And I don't think Cann is all that great. I know this team is big on him. I am not. He hasn't really shown me much to be impressed.

I think he's honestly going to lose his starting job this pre-season to Omameh, Poutasi or Watford. Robinson should be the left tackle. Parnell is supposedly a good right tackle when he's healthy. And apparently he wasn't at full health last year. So we'll see.

If they continue to struggle this pre-season though they'll have no choice but to go out in obvious run formations. Probably see a lot of twin tight-end formations with Lewis or Koyack assisting the tackles and then another full back or even another tight end like Sterling or Rivera lined up as the full back to offer some kind of possibe misdirection for Fournette to get free.

We'll see soon enough this Thursday night. You can't hide your trenches. We'll know instantly if they're going to be good or not, at least in the beginning. You either hold up at the point of attack or you fold like a house of cards.
Dave didn't ignore the line. He just didn't get enough of the right guys.

Let's not leave TC out of this either. He came in preaching building the lines and shortly after that speech the team acquired Campbell and Albert. One of those was a great addition. The other, not so much. He had his say in that matter.

This F.O. should have made the O-Line a greater priority but this projected '17 starting line should be better than what we ended up with last year. I'm not really that concerned.
HERE IS MY ATTENTION SEEKING THREAD OF THE DAY!
SOMEONE PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME...

The block feature is weird... I can see the thread, but when I open it all I see are responses, though quoted responses still show the blocked person... (No way of just making them disappear out of my life? lol)

ANYWAY BACK TO POUNDING ON THE TABLE UNTIL SOMEONE VALIDATES MY WHINY CRYING NONSENSE!
IIIIII SHOOOOUUUULLLD BE GM!

Well hey, look BA is coming back... Oline...fixed?
(08-08-2017, 08:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Dave didn't ignore the line. He just didn't get enough of the right guys.

Let's not leave TC out of this either.  He came in preaching building the lines and shortly after that speech the team acquired Campbell and Albert. One of those was a great addition. The other, not so much.  He had his say in that matter.

This F.O. should have made the O-Line a greater priority but this projected '17 starting line should be better than what we ended up with last year. I'm not really that concerned.

I was shocked OL was ignored in the draft. 

Why do you say this line should be better than last year.......its the same line.

(08-08-2017, 08:47 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]HERE IS MY ATTENTION SEEKING THREAD OF THE DAY!

The block feature is weird... I can see the thread, but when I open it all I see are responses, though quoted responses still show the blocked person... (No way of just making them disappear out of my life? lol)

ANYWAY BACK TO POUNDING ON THE TABLE UNTIL SOMEONE VALIDATES MY WHINY CRYING NONSENSE!

How is this a attention seeking thread. It's fans like you why most accept Mediocrity. Year in year out it's the same thing with this team.  This thread has valid points in it. If you are bothered by it, don't comment.
This O-line has been hexed ever since Dave let Monroe walk.
(08-08-2017, 08:51 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2017, 08:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Dave didn't ignore the line. He just didn't get enough of the right guys.

Let's not leave TC out of this either.  He came in preaching building the lines and shortly after that speech the team acquired Campbell and Albert. One of those was a great addition. The other, not so much.  He had his say in that matter.

Why do you say this line should be better than last year.......its the same line.

(08-08-2017, 08:47 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]HERE IS MY ATTENTION SEEKING THREAD OF THE DAY!

How is this a attention seeking thread. It's fans like you why most accept Mediocrity. Year in year out it's the same thing with this team.  This thread has valid points in it. If you are bothered by it, don't comment.

Ignored in the draft? Ignored? Do you think Cam Robinson plays WR? The Jags even traded up to make sure they got him. Maybe you don't think he's any good, but the Jags clearly did.

As far as trading for Albert vs. keeping Beechum (a move I disagreed with) That has Coughlin's fingerprints all over it. Beechum was a Caldwell signing. And the coaching staff are responsible for keeping Cann as a starter, there are better (IMO) options available.
(08-08-2017, 08:51 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]

Three reasons:

Robinson may very well turn out a better LT than Beachum. He'll have his rookie struggles in pass protection here and there, but he'll probably get better push than Beachum in the run game.

They started four different LGs last season due to injuries.
 Omameh was one of them but he was pretty good in much of his 7 starts and should get more games under his belt this season. 

Parnell is currently healthy. That wasn't the case much of last season.
When was the last time the Jags had a top 10 line?
(08-08-2017, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]This O-line has been hexed ever since Dave let Monroe walk.

LOL - You have got to be kidding me. 

Think a little harder.

They TRADED Monroe for draft picks that yielded Colvin and Telvin.  
And ravens fans will gladly tell you they got hosed on that deal.

Bingo.

They've brought in plenty of players through the draft and free agency to help fortify the offensive line.  They also pursued one of the top restricted free agents and came up short a couple of years ago.  What they haven't done is overspend for aging talent with name recognition, which is all Debbie Downer really cares about.

The line is improved from last year to this season.  They didn't put enough of an emphasis on really upgrading the line previously, but with Coughlin her, I would expect the focus to change, and the fact that we drafted Robinson as high as we did in the draft this year is a good indication that's going to happen.  Certain people act as if the offensive line was the only real hole that needed attention, but anyone who watches this team understands just how many areas required attention.  It will get better, and we could actually have the talent on the roster already to put together a serviceable line.  Let's see how things progress during camp.  If an upgrade pops up on the wire before the start of the season, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the team snap them up.
This line is far superior than any line that included Guy Whimper.
I think we would have been better off picking up Beachum's option and still drafting Cam. But it is what it is. Not sure this warranted yet another thread, it's been discussed ad nauseum all off-season
(08-08-2017, 09:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2017, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]This O-line has been hexed ever since Dave let Monroe walk.

LOL - You have got to be kidding me. 

Think a little harder.

Colvin and Chris Smith. 

Monroe was a good tackle for the Jags, injuries in Baltimore derailed his career. Who knows how he would have turned out had he not been traded? Of course he probably would have been ruined under the Gus culture like most of rest of the Jags.

And whether or not it was a good trade has no bearing on being a hex. 62-7 was a good victory, but also considered a hex. Smile
(08-08-2017, 09:43 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2017, 09:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]LOL - You have got to be kidding me. 

Think a little harder.

Colvin and Chris Smith. 

Monroe was a good tackle for the Jags, injuries in Baltimore derailed his career. Who knows how he would have turned out had he not been traded? Of course he probably would have been ruined under the Gus culture like most of rest of the Jags.

And whether or not it was a good trade has no bearing on being a hex. 62-7 was a good victory, but also considered a hex. Smile

Thanx for the fix. Forgot they took telvin earlier in the same round as Smith.
Omameh was playing very well prior to injury.
Parnell got better and better each game after returning to injury.
Cam Robinson by all accounts has looked good at LT.
Linder is awesome.

Barring injury, which hurts most teams, I don't see the O-Line being the same issue it was last season, where we had a lot of injuries and moving pieces around for OG and RT...

But yeah... same ol same eh?
Huh Rolleyes
If it's bad, it's on Caldwell.

If it's good, it's to Coughlin's credit.

It's all so simple.
Pages: 1 2 3 4