Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This is last year's team.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I can't recall ever being so frustrated at the state of this team prior to the regular season kickoff. I am not normally one to be negative but the management of this team has left me feeling exasperated. I understand it is still preseason, but everything I have seen and heard so far points to some unfortunate conclusions.

What were the biggest problems of this team last year and what has been done to fix them?

1. QB - It is inexcusable how this has been handled. Whether it was in the form of a rookie or a reliable veteran, Bortles CLEARLY needed competition for the QB spot. Instead we spend all offseason declaring faith in him only to yank him after preseason week 2 for the guy he replaced 3 years ago? Unforgivable.

2. O-Line - Our running game offered nothing last year. We needed an offseason of investing serious FA money and multiple draft picks focusing on improving our O-line. So many fans were calling for this. Now we are about to start the season and the only new face we have is a rookie LT? How is the line gonna be improved? Instead, we have a beast of a new RB who is gonna be running into brick walls. It's like buying a Ferrari when you live on a dirt road. 

3. Pass Rush - I'll give them some credit for the Campbell signing, but the man isn't actually a sack artist at all. We needed a real pass rusher to come in and push the young guys. As it is we are facing another season of not being able to get off the field on 3rd down.

4. Kicker - He sucks. He will lose us games. This has been obvious for some time. Unforgivable.

The most frustrating thing is that this team is going to look and play exactly like last years team. We have enough talent to be close in the 4th quarter, but won't have a running game or pash rush needed to finish teams off.

Looking at the big money we did spend in FA, was it really the best use of the money? We upgraded at DE, SS, CB and then at RB in the draft, but THESE POSITIONS WERE NOT THE PROBLEM. We have gone from serviceable players to good players at these spots, and ignored the real problem areas. We should have thrown that money at some of the high ticket O-Line guys available. And obviously we should have brought in a QB. Another thing that winds me up is that I don't know who is responsible for this situation? Is it TC? Is it Caldwell? I'm guessing TC gets a free pass for this year, but for a team that is in 'WIN NOW' mode we sure have made some stupid decisions.

Here's to hoping that low expectations lead to pleasant surprises this year, but I seriously doubt it. Another top 5 pick awaits, hopefully next offseason we wont make the same mistakes.
Don't forget that we doubled down on the coaching staff as well.

This is last year's team.
Personally I thought the biggest defensive problem last night wasn't pass rush as much as it was the complete insanity to stop the rush against the first line Panthers. If you don't stop the run you'll not get the chance to rush the passer.
Was saying this all off-season but got called Debbie downer.
keeping the coaching staff is tact was absolutely mind blowing... it is why I think Khan has other hidden motives, there's just no way this guy is so forgiving of absolute garbage results
(08-25-2017, 12:42 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]keeping the coaching staff is tact was absolutely mind blowing... it is why I think Khan has other hidden motives, there's just no way this guy is so forgiving of absolute garbage results

Khan is just oblivious when it comes to football. He gets the majority of blame for this train wreck.
(08-25-2017, 12:17 PM)JagJohn Wrote: [ -> ]I can't recall ever being so frustrated at the state of this team prior to the regular season kickoff. I am not normally one to be negative but the management of this team has left me feeling exasperated. I understand it is still preseason, but everything I have seen and heard so far points to some unfortunate conclusions.

What were the biggest problems of this team last year and what has been done to fix them?

1. QB - It is inexcusable how this has been handled. Whether it was in the form of a rookie or a reliable veteran, Bortles CLEARLY needed competition for the QB spot. Instead we spend all offseason declaring faith in him only to yank him after preseason week 2 for the guy he replaced 3 years ago? Unforgivable.

2. O-Line - Our running game offered nothing last year. We needed an offseason of investing serious FA money and multiple draft picks focusing on improving our O-line. So many fans were calling for this. Now we are about to start the season and the only new face we have is a rookie LT? How is the line gonna be improved? Instead, we have a beast of a new RB who is gonna be running into brick walls. It's like buying a Ferrari when you live on a dirt road. 

3. Pass Rush - I'll give them some credit for the Campbell signing, but the man isn't actually a sack artist at all. We needed a real pass rusher to come in and push the young guys. As it is we are facing another season of not being able to get off the field on 3rd down.

4. Kicker - He sucks. He will lose us games. This has been obvious for some time. Unforgivable.

The most frustrating thing is that this team is going to look and play exactly like last years team. We have enough talent to be close in the 4th quarter, but won't have a running game or pash rush needed to finish teams off.

Looking at the big money we did spend in FA, was it really the best use of the money? We upgraded at DE, SS, CB and then at RB in the draft, but THESE POSITIONS WERE NOT THE PROBLEM. We have gone from serviceable players to good players at these spots, and ignored the real problem areas. We should have thrown that money at some of the high ticket O-Line guys available. And obviously we should have brought in a QB. Another thing that winds me up is that I don't know who is responsible for this situation? Is it TC? Is it Caldwell? I'm guessing TC gets a free pass for this year, but for a team that is in 'WIN NOW' mode we sure have made some stupid decisions.

Here's to hoping that low expectations lead to pleasant surprises this year, but I seriously doubt it. Another top 5 pick awaits, hopefully next offseason we wont make the same mistakes.

Right there with you. And then some. I don't recall being this frustrated as a fan either leading into the regular season. Just the sheer level of incompetence is mind numbing this year.
Bklyn loves when others are upset. He relishes in being able to agree and pile on the negativity.

This really isn't last years team. The defense is much better. The defensive line is still better than last years and we've strengthened the defensive back field. It looks like Church is twice as good as Cyprien ever was.

The offense is the same as last season, not defense.
I'm guessing that any offense that has Leonard Fournette on it is superior to one that does not.

I'm not panicking yet. That doesn't mean I think we're going to the playoffs...but it's still preseason.

I think we can be successful with Henne. He's done a good job of throwing the long ball. Do that, and you make Fournette's job easier.
(08-25-2017, 01:00 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: [ -> ]Bklyn loves when others are upset.  He relishes in being able to agree and pile on the negativity.

This really isn't last years team.  The defense is much better.  The defensive line is still better than last years and we've strengthened the defensive back field.  It looks like Church is twice as good as Cyprien ever was.

Wrong (trumps voice)

This team will end up with the same or worse record than last season? The pass rush is struggling and linebackers look lost, including Telvin.
I'm sorely disappointed in the performance of the O-Line.
Too many poor acquisitions - and then taking Smoot in the third with a couple of highly rated guards still on the board really bothered me at the time - and it bothers me even more now.
I'm known to defend Caldwell at times - but he and Coughlin screwed up this offseason when it comes to the O-Line.
There is no defending it, unless you can present an incredible argument on why they should have had faith in Albert getting it done one more year while Cam Robinson played LG at a high level. I'm seeing that situation as too many eggs in one basket.

The rest of it I'm not freaking out about. I knew the QB situation was probably going to suck. Even though I'd have drafted Webb or Peterman -- neither of those guys would likely be remotely prepared to take the reins until after the bye week.

The defense may still turn out just fine. Not too concerned there.

I also believe that Hackett is keeping his cards close to the vest when it comes to the run game. I think he may have a trick or two up his sleeve to get the ball to Fournette and Grant in space since the O-Line isn't going to pave many lanes for them. I'll wait to pass judgement there.
Give TC time. This fanbase is impatient. And I can understand. But TC is back. Give him time.
(08-25-2017, 01:23 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]Give TC time. This fanbase is impatient. And I can understand. But TC is back. Give him time.

Time, time, time, See what's become of me, While I looked around, For my possibilities, I was so hard to please
(08-25-2017, 01:28 PM)RJagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2017, 01:23 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]Give TC time. This fanbase is impatient. And I can understand. But TC is back. Give him time.

Time, time, time, See what's become of me, While I looked around, For my possibilities, I was so hard to please

Thank you for stepping up your game. 
This is much better.  I knew you could do it.
(08-25-2017, 01:00 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: [ -> ]Bklyn loves when others are upset.  He relishes in being able to agree and pile on the negativity.

This really isn't last years team.  The defense is much better.  The defensive line is still better than last years and we've strengthened the defensive back field.  It looks like Church is twice as good as Cyprien ever was.

The defense hasn't really shown us anything these last three weeks to believe it's "much better". All I've seen is that if Ramsey, Bouye or Colvin are not out there in the secondary we're in a lot of trouble with the depth we lack. I've yet to see any signs of dominate pass rushing or edge beating by this front four consistently enough to feel good about them as a unit. 

Church has been a good bright spot but he's out there essentially mopping up tackles because the linebackers are all of a sudden slippery as hell and can't seem to wrap up anybody or they over pursue their lane and assignments. The last two weeks on the opening drives they've been absolutely man handled as well. Getting gashed inside and outside on the ground. 

I'll say it now. This won't be a top ten defensive unit in 2017. And it's going to tailspin because of poor QB play and offensive lineman play. They'll lean on Fournette and run that poor kid into the ground just like the Rams have done to Todd Gurley. 

It's going to be 2 yards rushing, 2 yards rushing (or a loss of yards) and pass incomplete on third downs with a punt probably 7 times out of 10 this year. It is the EXACT same [BLEEP] team we've seen over the last four years. Same [BLEEP]. Different names. Different staff.
Until we get a QB nothing matters.

You can have the shiney new LG and the TE that can run a 4.3 and Reggie White.

But until we find our Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Big Ben, etc. It doesn't matter.

Every good team in the last 15 to 20 years has a hall of fame worthy QB.

Until you find one, we are just playing out the season with what we have.
Did you see the quarterback for the team who won the division last year?
(08-25-2017, 02:11 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you see the quarterback for the team who won the division last year?

The AFC south is the suckiest division in the whole NFL. Any team with a avg qb and a good defense can win the AFC south but they'll never win go to a Super Bowl.
I was just talking to someone about how Chris Ivory is basically Toby Gerhart. There's not much difference.

I'm gong to give TC and the Jags another 4 years BUT THAT'S IT !!!

If we don't get this thing going by 2021 I'm done ..... well, at least I may only give them another year or 2 after that.

Pages: 1 2 3