Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hurricane Harvey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So do we get two home games against Houston since NRG is about to be washed away?
Goodbye corpus Christi, houston
I work in the Bahamas, and have friends that recently left here to go live in a mobile home on a large piece of land in Corpus Christi. They are diehard Jaguars fans. I feel terribly for them and everyone else up there right now. This is worse than hurricane Matthew, and that storm actually made landfall on the island I live on (Andros), even though it didn't technically make landfall in the States I don't believe. 

I hope everyone in the affected areas remains safe. I like to jab my tinhorn brethren as much as the next Jags fan, but this crap is way bigger than football. Prayers for you guys!
(08-26-2017, 06:37 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: [ -> ]I work in the Bahamas, and have friends that recently left here to go live in a mobile home on a large piece of land in Corpus Christi. They are diehard Jaguars fans. I feel terribly for them and everyone else up there right now. This is worse than hurricane Matthew, and that storm actually made landfall on the island I live on (Andros), even though it didn't technically make landfall in the States I don't believe. 

I hope everyone in the affected areas remains safe. I like to jab my tinhorn brethren as much as the next Jags fan, but this crap is way bigger than football. Prayers for you guys!

Thanks, we appreciate it. I've lived here my entire life..I thought the flooding could never and would never get worse than Tropical Storm Allison...this storm has been 5x worse. The mass area of flooding has been biblical, the greater city of Houston was pretty much under water and it's still raining.

Our Mayor has drawn criticism for not calling for a mass evacuation before the storm, but people outside of Houston simply don't understand the logistics involved and difficulty of evacuating the entire greater Houston area... In a few years Houston is expected to pass the city of Chicago as the 3rd largest city in America and the population of the greater Houston area is almost 7 million people..it's simply not possible to do a mass evacuation. 

In 2005 just weeks after Hurricane Katrina devestated NOLA, Cat 5 Hurricane Rita was forecasted to make a direct hit in Houston (it didn't) and the Mayor freaked out and ordered a mass evacuation of the greater Houston area, telling them not to wait GET OUT!.. 3+ million panicked people jumped on the road to flee and it created the largest traffic jam in United States history..people were stuck in a traffic jam from here all the way to Dallas and there was 107 evacuation related fatalities before the storm even got in the area. 20 assisted living citizens burned alive on a bus alone. Many more died of heat exhaustion. 

You simply can't mass evacuate the city...it's best to ride it out. We've only had 9 Harvey related deaths so far (6 died in one incident) and 7 of those 9 fatalities were people trying to drive during the storm....So despite the criticism the Mayor made the correct decision.

We'll be okay though, we'll come back stronger than ever..the city just needs basic supplies right now..food, blankets, baby supplies (formula/diapers), and dry clothes.
(08-29-2017, 08:58 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2017, 06:37 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: [ -> ]I work in the Bahamas, and have friends that recently left here to go live in a mobile home on a large piece of land in Corpus Christi. They are diehard Jaguars fans. I feel terribly for them and everyone else up there right now. This is worse than hurricane Matthew, and that storm actually made landfall on the island I live on (Andros), even though it didn't technically make landfall in the States I don't believe. 

Thanks, we appreciate it. I've lived here my entire life..I thought the flooding could never and would never get worse than Tropical Storm Allison...this storm has been 5x worse. The mass area of flooding has been biblical, the greater city of Houston was pretty much under water and it's still raining.

Our Mayor has drawn criticism for not calling for a mass evacuation before the storm, but people outside of Houston simply don't understand the logistics involved and difficulty of evacuating the entire greater Houston area... In a few years Houston is expected to pass the city of Chicago as the 3rd largest city in America and the population of the greater Houston area is almost 7 million people..it's simply not possible to do a mass evacuation. 

In 2005 just weeks after Hurricane Katrina devestated NOLA, Cat 5 Hurricane Rita was forecasted to make a direct hit in Houston (it didn't) and the Mayor freaked out and ordered a mass evacuation of the greater Houston area, telling them not to wait GET OUT!.. 3+ million panicked people jumped on the road to flee and it created the largest traffic jam in United States history..people were stuck in a traffic jam from here all the way to Dallas and there was 107 evacuation related fatalities before the storm even got in the area. 20 assisted living citizens burned alive on a bus alone. Many more died of heat exhaustion. 

You simply can't mass evacuate the city...it's best to ride it out. We've only had 9 Harvey related deaths so far (6 died in one incident) and 7 of those 9 fatalities were people trying to drive during the storm....So despite the criticism the Mayor made the correct decision.

We'll be okay though, we'll come back stronger than ever..the city just needs basic supplies right now..food, blankets, baby supplies (formula/diapers), and dry clothes.

You all stay safe over there.  Good luck!
No one would have to tell me to evacuate, I would be out of there. Cat 3 or 4 headed my way and you're seeing my taillights. You guys are in my prayers. I have friends who live just north of Houston and thankfully are okay last I heard.
(08-29-2017, 04:10 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]No one would have to tell me to evacuate, I would be out of there. Cat 3 or 4 headed my way and you're seeing my taillights. You guys are in my prayers. I have friends who live just north of Houston and thankfully are okay last I heard.

Nobody expected that extent of flooding, extensive flooding was possible sure, but nobody expected that and if you remember despite being a cat 3/4 it was never headed this way for landfall. It made landfall in Rockport TX which is 225 miles south of Houston. It was never expected to be a "wind event" or have any storm surge threat and never was or did for Houston so people weren't going to leave. It was forecasted as just a "rain event" for Houston and that is exactly what it was, problem is..it was the worst rain event in United States history.

I was in ground zero  (hell everywhere was ground zero), but must've been on a magic piece of poperty. It flooded all around me, but I didn't get water in the house. If there's anything positive, I now know I never have to worry about my place flooding Smile That was a 800 year flood. I'll never see anything like that again in my lifetime. I live in SE Harris county, in Harris county alone they said enough rain fell to power Niagara Falls for fifteen days, that's insane.
All you had to do was watch the weather. They knew it was gonna hit and squat there for days. They should have evacuated more areas of Houston.

I knew it was gonna happen, how did they not. It's unprecedented but, they told people what it was going to do.
(08-29-2017, 11:25 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]All you had to do was watch the weather. They knew it was gonna hit and squat there for days. They should have evacuated more areas of Houston.

I knew it was gonna happen, how did they not. It's unprecedented but, they told people what it was going to do.

They should have at least called for a evacuation of areas along the bayous, I'll give you that, but other than that you can't evacuate the entire city..it still wouldn't of changed much. The entire city flooded. Allison sat here for days too it was basically the same forecast and it still wasn't close to this, nobody saw this coming.
List of help/ rescue phone numbers can be found at the following link.

https://twitter.com/doreli12/status/902859344173195264

Rescue Map Information

https://twitter.com/funder/status/902599787568095233

Scott Dworkin‏

@funder  21h
21 hours ago

Urgent: New rescue map please retweet & share—It's updated in real time so people don't double up on rescues http://harveyrelief.handiworks.co/rescue-map  #Harvey

https://twitter.com/shreec/status/902782809185583104

Port Arthur folks: If you can't get through to Port Arthur 911, call the Beaumont PD at 409-832-1234
anyone keeping an eye on rebuilding/demolition jobs that are going to be available when the waters subside? I imagine there will be a lot of federal funding coming in to help clean up efforts in a couple weeks.
(08-30-2017, 11:47 AM)realtorpat Wrote: [ -> ]anyone keeping an eye on rebuilding/demolition jobs that are going to be available when the waters subside?  I imagine there will be a lot of federal funding coming in to help clean up efforts in a couple weeks.

It's funny you mention that, they're talking about it as I'm typing this.
(08-30-2017, 01:38 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2017, 11:47 AM)realtorpat Wrote: [ -> ]anyone keeping an eye on rebuilding/demolition jobs that are going to be available when the waters subside?  I imagine there will be a lot of federal funding coming in to help clean up efforts in a couple weeks.

It's funny you mention that, they're talking about it as I'm typing this.

ya I have two jobs that aren't exactly lighting up my bank account.  I wouldn't mind living out of a hotel for a little while helping out while getting a decent paycheck with lots of overtime.
(08-30-2017, 01:49 PM)realtorpat Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2017, 01:38 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]It's funny you mention that, they're talking about it as I'm typing this.

ya I have two jobs that aren't exactly lighting up my bank account.  I wouldn't mind living out of a hotel for a little while helping out while getting a decent paycheck with lots of overtime.

I might do the same thing, when I find out more information I'll let you know..nothing is set up right now, but they did mention it.
(08-30-2017, 03:21 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2017, 01:49 PM)realtorpat Wrote: [ -> ]ya I have two jobs that aren't exactly lighting up my bank account.  I wouldn't mind living out of a hotel for a little while helping out while getting a decent paycheck with lots of overtime.

I might do the same thing, when I find out more information I'll let you know..nothing is set up right now, but they did mention it.

I'll do the same if I hear anything.  I don't exactly have the money to just outright send donations other than clothing but I think it is a win win if i can get some government money to do some honest labor that helps people and their towns.
I have posted a "sticky thread" in The Division sub-forum with information regarding donation efforts by Houston Texans player JJ Watt.  If anyone can help with even $5 it's money well spent.  Something like this goes beyond football.
(08-29-2017, 09:33 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2017, 04:10 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]No one would have to tell me to evacuate, I would be out of there. Cat 3 or 4 headed my way and you're seeing my taillights. You guys are in my prayers. I have friends who live just north of Houston and thankfully are okay last I heard.

Nobody expected that extent of flooding, extensive flooding was possible sure, but nobody expected that and if you remember despite being a cat 3/4 it was never headed this way for landfall. It made landfall in Rockport TX which is 225 miles south of Houston. It was never expected to be a "wind event" or have any storm surge threat and never was or did for Houston so people weren't going to leave. It was forecasted as just a "rain event" for Houston and that is exactly what it was, problem is..it was the worst rain event in United States history.

I was in ground zero  (hell everywhere was ground zero), but must've been on a magic piece of poperty. It flooded all around me, but I didn't get water in the house. If there's anything positive, I now know I never have to worry about my place flooding Smile That was a 800 year flood. I'll never see anything like that again in my lifetime. I live in SE Harris county, in Harris county alone they said enough rain fell to power Niagara Falls for fifteen days, that's insane.

Hurricane Matthew shouldn't have affected where my husband works due to distance yet Fayetteville, NC flooded like nobody's business. He was stuck there all weekend because his relief couldn't get to work. We live an hour from his place of employment and further west into the state and we got more than was forecast for. I guess I've been through enough hurricanes I don't take chances and don't trust 'forecasts.' 

I am thankful you are safe and your home didn't get damaged. Also, don't say you'll never see anything like this again. A woman who left New Orleans after her home was obliterated by Katrina and moved to Houston is now without a home- again.
(08-30-2017, 10:38 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Hurricane Matthew shouldn't have affected where my husband works due to distance yet Fayetteville, NC flooded like nobody's business. He was stuck there all weekend because his relief couldn't get to work. We live an hour from his place of employment and further west into the state and we got more than was forecast for. I guess I've been through enough hurricanes I don't take chances and don't trust 'forecasts.' 

I am thankful you are safe and your home didn't get damaged. Also, don't say you'll never see anything like this again. A woman who left New Orleans after her home was obliterated by Katrina and moved to Houston is now without a home- again.

Yeah, but I'm taking the "Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice" theory.. if she would've stayed in NOLA she wouldn't of been effected by Harvey. I don't ever plan on leaving Houston. Hell maybe she's bad juju, better hope she doesn't move to north Florida lol

They pulled out a man who was 88 years old and he said he's never seen anything like this before, I don't plan on living that long..the Texans will put me in a early grave Smile
This is what makes America great. 

What do you do when you're a baker who finds they're stranded at work because of rising flood water? The answer is simple, you keep on baking.

That's what happened to staff at El Bolillo Bakery in the south of Houston, devastated by the flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey, who got to the end of their shift and realised there was no way to leave the building.

Although they were worried about the safety of their own families they decided to keep their aprons on and get back to kneading dough. By the time their boss reached them two days later he found his tired employees had baked their way through 40,000lbs (18,000kg) of flour.

The Mexican bakery was one of the only ones in the city not to lose power or to be flooded. And despite the huge bread shortage in the city the owner Kirk Michaelis decided not to push up his prices but to give it away instead.

More to the story at the link.
I donated to Watt's fund today. I feel so bad for the people out there while I'm just sitting here on my couch without a ton of worries.

I told my wife, the next time there's an issue like this, I'm going to take a week or 2 vacation from work and go assist with search & rescue efforts. I hate to say "next time" but unfortunately we know there will be a "next time"
Pages: 1 2