Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How did the Titans turn it around?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm so confused....Mike Mularkey is their coach. We saw how awful he was as our head coach...

I'm just so confused how they turned it around the past couple of years to now being the overwhelming favorite to win the division. I think it just frustrates me even more because I can't stand them more than any other team. Also, I live in Nashville so that doesn't help.

I'm just wondering where this came from after the disaster of Mike Munchak and Ken Wisenhunt. They were at the bottom looking up and now all of a sudden this? Just wish we could do the same...
Mularkey was handed a very depleted roster to work with in Jax.

The success the tacks are seeing now can be largely attributed to the success they've had in building a top-notch offensive line.
That line has boosted their ground game and helped their young QB achieve a pretty efficient statline.
(08-27-2017, 11:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Mularkey was handed a very depleted roster to work with in Jax.

The success the tacks are seeing now can be largely attributed to the success they've had in building a top-notch offensive line.
That line has boosted their ground game and helped their young QB achieve a pretty efficient statline.

100% correct.

With the Jaguars offensive line they'd have performed much like the Jaguars, Mariota likely wouldn't be rated as poorly as Bortles is around the league, but only because he'd likely have been injured within the first few games of the season and the talk would still be about how if only he could stay healthy. Plus their running game wouldn't be nearly as good.

Swap starting offensive lines and the Jaguars are the over .500 team and the titans are struggling to get to 4 wins.

Credit where its due, Robinson recognized talent on the offensive line that others weren't and wasn't afraid to draft it. However, it still remains to be seen if Mariota is actually good, or if he can manage to play 16 games, even behind one of the best offensive lines with an offense designed to try to keep the defense thinking about the run instead of hitting Mariota.
Mariota and the Titans not doing so well against the Bears right now.

Titans fans getting frustrated with the "smashmouth" playcalling.
That "top-notch" offensive line is getting absolutely worked!
They looked worse than we did. Mariota sucked it up bad in that half.

Week 2 will be a victory for us. Banana Banana
Looks like the bears saw what the Jaguars did last season in week sixteen load up against the run and make Mariota have to throw them down the field, and he usually can't do it.
So why did everyone crown Mariota again?

He's really not that good.
(08-27-2017, 02:44 PM)VisitingCobra Wrote: [ -> ]So why did everyone crown Mariota again?  

Mostly because people tend to attribute team wins to the QB. As a rookie he made a good first impression when the bucs fell to pieces against him and then in his second season he got the titans to eight wins.

If the Jaguars won ten games this year starting Bortles suddenly the talk will be about him turning the corner, even if he still throws a bunch of picks.
(08-27-2017, 02:44 PM)VisitingCobra Wrote: [ -> ]So why did everyone crown Mariota again?  

When he's on, he's on. Same can be said when he is off. We'll see if the tacks bring him back out for some confidence boositing against 2-3s.
they got an Oline a qb who doesn't turn it over and hit on fa rb
(08-27-2017, 02:48 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Mostly because people tend to attribute team wins to the QB. As a rookie he made a good first impression when the bucs fell to pieces against him and then in his second season he got the titans to eight wins.

If the Jaguars won ten games this year starting Bortles suddenly the talk will be about him turning the corner, even if he still throws a bunch of picks.

I'd be OK with this.

(08-27-2017, 02:50 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]

When he's on, he's on. Same can be said when he is off. We'll see if the tacks bring him back out for some confidence boositing against 2-3s.

Its like he can't throw outside at all.  

This season could go down as another missed opportunity for whatever 3 teams that don't win the AFC South.
The Titans are what happen when you have a clear and concise plan
(08-27-2017, 04:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]The Titans are what happen when you have a clear and concise plan

We'll see how the regular season pans out, but apparently that clear and concise plan today was to play pedestrian and come away with your starting quarterback getting sacked four times and only scoring one touchdown with your starting offense against the Bear's 2s & 3s. They made the Jags last two games look good.
I hate the preseason. Never liked it as a coach either. Especially when vince young came to town. Hated that kid
(08-27-2017, 05:07 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]We'll see how the regular season pans out, but apparently that clear and concise plan today was to play pedestrian and come away with your starting quarterback getting sacked four times and only scoring one touchdown with your starting offense against the Bear's 2s & 3s. They made the Jags last two games look good.
Mularkey loves it when his plan comes together!1 Big Grin 

[Image: npvqO.gif]

[Image: jagsrage.gif]
(08-27-2017, 11:06 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ] I think it just frustrates me even more because I can't stand them more than any other team. Also, I live in Nashville so that doesn't help.

Maybe you should consider moving. Laughing
(08-27-2017, 11:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Mularkey was handed a very depleted roster to work with in Jax.

Yes, 100% that ^^^

Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line.  The number one most important piece of a football team.
They found their Quarterback. That's how. And they did something we couldn't do. They actually built an offensive line and supplied him with a stout ground game to allow him to breath.

And the jury is still out for Mike Mularkey. He has to build on what they did in 2016. Mike wasn't given a fair shake in Jacksonville but his two year stint in Buffalo was a winning season and then a huge step backwards. If they fall to 5 - 11 in 2017 there's a chance Jon Robinson starts looking around.

In reality. And I am being dead honest when I say this. Regardless of who wins this weak [BLEEP] division. There's a high probability that the AFC South in 2018 has an entirely different coaching staff.

Marrone, Pagano, O'Brien & Mularkey could all be fired after this year. Depends on regular season wins and losses and to a degree with O'Brien you could make a case about a play-off game going terrible and it costing him his job.
The OL is a big factor and Mularkey has much better coordinators with the tacks than he did here.
Pages: 1 2