Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Florida Times Union - Jaguars Notebook: Mychal Rivera’s injury creating dilemma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jaguars Notebook: Mychal Rivera’s injury creating dilemma

http://jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/2...ng-dilemma

When the Jaguars signed Oakland free agent Mychal Rivera on March 22, they envisioned him serving as the “move” tight end in offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett’s system, able to crea
I'd think he goes on IR and they go with their BFF Alex Ellis.
Is Barnidge still a free agent?
BARNKOWSKI TIME!
(08-29-2017, 03:34 PM)Tornadosoul7 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd think he goes on IR and they go with their BFF Alex Ellis.

I agree.  He'll probably go to IR.
(08-29-2017, 04:08 PM)JagSwag Wrote: [ -> ]Is Barnidge still a free agent?

Yes and I hope we grab him
(08-29-2017, 05:25 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2017, 04:08 PM)JagSwag Wrote: [ -> ]Is Barnidge still a free agent?

Yes and I hope we grab him

I can't understand why he hasn't already been signed.
Does anyone know why Barnidge wouldn't sign when he visited Jacksonville? I would say that since Rivera won't be playing now, there is justification to make Barnidge an attractive offer. Unless you believe that we are set at tight end. And I don't think the Jags believe it either, else they wouldn't have signed Rivera in the first place. We need a tight end that can get open. Blake needs the help of a good TE.
(09-02-2017, 07:57 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know why Barnidge wouldn't sign when he visited Jacksonville? I would say that since Rivera won't be playing now, there is justification to make Barnidge an attractive offer. Unless you believe that we are set at tight end.  And I don't think the Jags believe it either,  else they wouldn't have signed Rivera in the first place. We need a tight end that can get open. Blake needs the help of a good TE.

Yea we need to sign him, Barnidge is a fast TE that can get open, Sterling def doesnt deserve to be on a NFL roster over him
(09-02-2017, 07:57 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know why Barnidge wouldn't sign when he visited Jacksonville? I would say that since Rivera won't be playing now, there is justification to make Barnidge an attractive offer. Unless you believe that we are set at tight end.  And I don't think the Jags believe it either,  else they wouldn't have signed Rivera in the first place. We need a tight end that can get open. Blake needs the help of a good TE.

I'm guessing at this point they're just going to wait until after week 1 to offer him a contract, if they elect to do it.  His contract won't be guaranteed at that point, so they'll be able to move on during the season if they so choose with no real penalty.
(09-02-2017, 08:35 PM)empty Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm guessing at this point they're just going to wait until after week 1 to offer him a contract, if they elect to do it.  His contract won't be guaranteed at that point, so they'll be able to move on during the season if they so choose with no real penalty.

That would be a wise move that would both improve the talent at the position and maintain maximum flexibility.
There were a few interesting TE's that were released. I believe we should be looking at Larry Donnell, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins and Cole Hikutini. Donnell is an older, reliable veteran who would be a slight upgrade. Sefarian-Jenkins is talented, but I know he will miss a few games due to suspension. If we could get through the suspension, he'd be a big upgrade when he returned. Hikutini is a talented, young player that I believe could really help us. I know he is a bit of a mystery, being a rookie, but I see him as a talented receiver.
(09-02-2017, 09:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]There were a few interesting TE's that were released. I believe we should be looking at Larry Donnell, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins and Cole Hikutini. Donnell is an older, reliable veteran who would be a slight upgrade. Sefarian-Jenkins is talented, but I know he will miss a few games due to suspension. If we could get through the suspension, he'd be a big upgrade when he returned. Hikutini is a talented, young player that I believe could really help us. I know he is a bit of a mystery, being a rookie, but I see him as a talented receiver.

AS-J wasn't cut, he was just moved to the suspended list.  He's still on the Jets roster, otherwise I'd be all for bringing him in.  Seems to have earned rave reviews this offseason and gotten his life back on track.
(09-02-2017, 09:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]There were a few interesting TE's that were released. I believe we should be looking at Larry Donnell, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins and Cole Hikutini. Donnell is an older, reliable veteran who would be a slight upgrade. Sefarian-Jenkins is talented, but I know he will miss a few games due to suspension. If we could get through the suspension, he'd be a big upgrade when he returned. Hikutini is a talented, young player that I believe could really help us. I know he is a bit of a mystery, being a rookie, but I see him as a talented receiver.

I with you regarding Hikutini. I guess he didn't have any stand-out measurables from his workouts, but his film reveals a very solid TE. 
Wallbash