Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Florida Times Union - Projecting the Jaguars’ initial 53-man roster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Projecting the Jaguars’ initial 53-man roster

http://jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/2...man-roster

I got a board and 53 darts …
Time to forecast the Jaguars’ initial 53-man roster.
OFFENSE (26)
QB (3): Blake Bortles, Chad Henne and Brandon Allen.
The Jaguars should keep Allen because if
Allen should stay and Henne should go. I don't see how you can't apply basic logic to these roster moves.

You invested a 6th RD pick in Allen. He's done relatively well this preseason. Meanwhile you announced an open competition for the starting job, and two days later announce that Bortles won it already. Henne is old, he hasn't played a meaningful game or down in a regular season contest since 2014.

You have very little to gain by maintaining him. If you fail this year it'll be mostly due to QB play and poor blocking along the offensive line anyway. Doesn't make any damn sense to keep Henne at this point.
No real surprises. I think the surprise cuts may happen once we make a few waiver wire claims.
Seven linebackers? Are we running a 3-4?
(09-01-2017, 08:24 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Seven linebackers? Are we running a 3-4?

Lerentee McCray is actually the 9th D-Lineman, a bit more than the 7th LB.

He'd be on the depth chart as depth at SAM and weak-side DE. 

Of course it's still possible they keep only 6, even with McCray on the list.
So when is the cut off date for teams having to have made all the cuts?
(09-01-2017, 12:30 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]So when is the cut off date for teams having to have made all the cuts?

Saturday I believe
(09-01-2017, 12:30 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]So when is the cut off date for teams having to have made all the cuts?
Tomorrow at 4pm.

Here's a good list of important deadlines coming up:

Quote:September 2 -- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
September 2 -- Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/NonFootball Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.
September 3 -- Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time. 
September 3 -- Upon receipt of the Personnel Notice at approximately 1:00 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 10 players (the four designated clubs (NFC South) may sign one player to an International Practice Player Contract.) No club, including the player's prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a Practice Player Contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player's prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.
September 4-9 -- In accordance with the 2017 Personnel (Injury) Report Policy, each club is required to file a Practice Report with the NFL communications department by 4:00 p.m., New York time, (or as soon as possible after the completion of practice) every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for a regular season Sunday game; Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for a Thursday game; Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for a Monday game; and Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a Saturday game.
Each club must also file a weekly regular season Game Status Report with the NFL communications department by 4:00 p.m., New York time (or as soon as possible after the completion of practice) on Wednesday for a Thursday game, Friday for a Sunday game, Saturday for a Monday game, and Thursday for a Saturday game. An update must be reported if there is any change in a player's condition after the initial Game Status Report is filed. 
nfl.com ^
I don't see Dixon, Pullard, or Allen on this team. I like Wynn, Sterling and Charles. If Bortles or Henne gets hurt, Allen is just a phone call away. But, he's not good enough to take up a roster spot on a team that had just 3 wins last year.