Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags biggest position need post 2017 season besides QB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok guys now that free agency and the draft have passed what do you think will be Jags biggest need post 2017 season besides QB? I'm gonna exclude the QB position because it's the obvious choice and there are plenty of other forums where you can discuss Bortles and bash him if you want. I realize we still have
Ota's,Mini camp,Training camp,Pre-season and 2017 season! Thoughts?
It's offensive line, and it's not close.

Quote:It's offensive line, and it's not close.
Right Tackle? Left Guard?
Quote:Right Tackle? Left Guard?

Yes? Possibly other guard too if Cann struggles.
The biggest questions of 2017 will be QB, the OLine, and TE.  I think the offensive line will be better but there are several questions.  How good is Cam Robinson? I mean if he was a lock to be great, he wouldn't have fallen to the 2nd round.  How good will Brandon Albert be?  If he was still a sure thing, then the Dolphins wouldn't have traded him away.  Can AJ Cann bounce back have a good 2017?  Even if those 3 are good along with Lindor and all are healthy that still leaves one spot open.  

I feel like the questions have been the same for years now. QB, pass rush, and Oline.
I like the idea of moving Robinson to right guard. His weakness is pass protection and he is a mauler. He seems to have enough footspeed and athletic ability to pull. Zack Martin was a left tackle in college with the same traits and is now All-Pro as a right guard in a very effective run offense with Dallas. Fornette has some Ezekiel Elliot type qualities as he combines speed with the ability to break tackles. Arm tackles won't bring him down and Robinson at guard can prevent defenders at the point of attack from getting good shots at him. I still agree though that the Oline is still the main concern.

Greg Hardy is still out there.........
QB. Would love to be wrong
With Cam starting somewhere the Jaguars will be able to field a capable offensive line. What we really need is are starting TEs, and I do mean plural. Marcedes is on the verge of retiring, and our #2 TE is Koyack. Nothing against Koyack, but he's not exactly threatening for the Pro Bowl.

LT is solved with Cam, we still need at least 1 OG, and a RT. I think the line will be serviceable this year, but still will struggle against good fronts. O line is by far our biggest concern. 

I'm going to say TE for now. This is obviously subject to change by the end of the season, but o think TE is the hardest one to have an idea of how good ours currently are.

TE followed by OL.
Pass rush end. We still don't have one that can provide consistent pressure game in and game out. I think lack of a pass rush will be our biggest concern next season. After that I'll go with tight end. I think the o-line will be ok in light of having a bad QB. A QB like BB5 can make a good o-line look average. 

Oline. Guard and RT. 

1. OG

2. TE

3. OT

4. NT

5. S
I will have to see what they do with the line, but with Albert and Robinson, I think it will be much better. TE seems to be a longstanding weakness (even tho I like Marcedes, he is getting up there). Also the arguments for more pass rushers is always true.

Definitely the long snapper. If he doesn't improve then no playoffs for us.
My philosophy on OL/DL's is just keep adding them - you always need them. We have some guys set on the Defensive line and they only have so much time left. I love the Campbell signing, but realistically he's not going to finish his contract in elite form. 

Quote:Pass rush end. We still don't have one that can provide consistent pressure game in and game out. I think lack of a pass rush will be our biggest concern next season. After that I'll go with tight end. I think the o-line will be ok in light of having a bad QB. A QB like BB5 can make a good o-line look average. 

Between Ngakoue, Fowler, Campbell, Smoot, Phillips, Dimick, Lorentee McCray and Woodard, I think we'll finally find our necessary edge rushers.

Quote:1. OG

2. TE

3. OT

4. NT

5. S

With Cam Robinson in the fold we're dong just fine at OT.

At NT I suspect the Jaguars were targetting Stevie Tu'ikolovatu with their final pick, but he went immediately after we picked Myrick. So instead we got our FB.

Still, we should be ok at NT. I'm still wondering why exactly we waived Roy Miller III, however, there are two players on the roster vying for the rotational spot at NT with Abry, and the winner of that battle should suffice. I'm referring to Stefan Charles and Louis Nix. Charles is clearly the favorite, but I like how Nix has prior experience on the Jaguars roster, and from size perspective is shorter than Charles yet heavier.

Pages: 1 2