Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is Yeldon safe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As I look at some of the bigger cuts going on across the league, several name RBs are hitting the wire. This has me looking at our RBs and wondering if they're all safe. Ivory has a cap situation where it would at least be more ideal for him to be on the roster this season, but Yeldon may be more vulnerable. Now I like how Yeldon for his ability to pick up blitzers in pass protection and for his ability to find lanes where as fans we may not see any, but we already know he's not a breakout threat and can be more consistent.

I figure he probably makes the roster, but spaces this year just seem so limited. It keeps looking like at least one solid player has to go. They've seemed rather intent on having a FB this season so it would seem Tommy Bohanon has a spot. At RB I'm thinking it's a safe bet that Fournette, Grant and Ivory make the roster. After that it's almost a tough call right now between Yeldon and the undrafted rookie Tim Cook who I suspect already has a spot reserved on the PS for him. The bigger question is do we even keep a fourth RB over bubble players like Shane Wynn, Tyler Shatley, Michael Bennett, Josh McNary and Brian Dixon?
Imo more talented backs than Yeldon have been released already.
(09-02-2017, 02:10 AM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]Imo more talented backs than Yeldon have been released already.

Agreed. I keep hearing Yeldon should stick because of his blocking abilities, but seriously if that is the only reason to keep him, that's sad. It's like saying you don't want to fire a horrible chef at a restaurant you own because he keeps his kitchen clean. We could easily find a much better RB than Yeldon. I can't believe we wasted a draft pick on this guy when so many other solid runners were available in that draft.
I was at home screaming for Eric Kendricks. Remember it well.
TJ is our best pass protector on 3rd down.

I think we will be in a lot of 3rd and longs, Yeldon still has value for us.
(09-02-2017, 05:25 AM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]TJ is our best pass protector on 3rd down.

That's his only value though. When a RB's best asset is his pass protecting skills, you have a dud. I'm sure we can find a RB with comparable pass protecting skills on the waiver wire who is a better runner than Yeldon. It wouldn't be hard.
(09-02-2017, 05:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2017, 05:25 AM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]TJ is our best pass protector on 3rd down.

That's his only value though. When a RB's best asset is his pass protecting skills, you have a dud. I'm sure we can find a RB with comparable pass protecting skills on the waiver wire who is a better runner than Yeldon. It wouldn't be hard.

His strength last year appeared to be pass catching in the backfield, then finding a way to run for short yards.
[Image: neo-says-no-o.gif]
If Yeldon is in on third down to block just cut him now and use the FB or one of the TEs to block on third down. Yeldon was an awful pick and is a wasted roster spot. The sooner he's gone the better. He can take Henne with him, too.
(09-02-2017, 06:39 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2017, 05:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]That's his only value though. When a RB's best asset is his pass protecting skills, you have a dud. I'm sure we can find a RB with comparable pass protecting skills on the waiver wire who is a better runner than Yeldon. It wouldn't be hard.

His strength last year appeared to be pass catching in the backfield, then finding a way to run for short yards.

Yeldon has no strengths other than blocking.
Caldwell's record with high draft picks is atrocious. Bust after bust....
(09-02-2017, 08:40 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]Caldwell's record with high draft picks is atrocious. Bust after bust....

+1
(09-02-2017, 06:52 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]If Yeldon is in on third down to block just cut him now and use the FB or one of the TEs to block on third down. Yeldon was an awful pick and is a wasted roster spot. The sooner he's gone the better. He can take Henne with him, too.

Yes, yes, and yes. Why did they take a dime-a-dozen RB that high? Trenches, man, trenches. Same with 4nette. Why? The OL can't open a hole.
With this team, I wouldn't doubt if only a few are safe..
He offers nothing of value that warrants a roster spot. IMO, being strong in pass protection is not a big value to even beat out what's on the roster.
When they cut Harris and Grimes, it made me think Yeldon is safe. Cook would be the only replacement at this point and he's PS eligible.
1 career 100 yard game
You guys vastly underestimate how important it is to have a third-down back that can pass block. I've seen it written more than once in my life that coaches has patience with young backs who aren't useful in the passing game, even young runners that struggle to find the second level more often than not, but a back that can't protect the QB in passing situations will find his way to the bench very quickly.

Case in point: Lawrence Phillips. Steve Young's career was ended because Lawrence Phillips whiffed on a pass block and got him killed. Granted, Phillips had more than his fair share of issues anyway, but it's worth noting that after the 49ers gave up on him later on in that year, he never played for an NFL team again.

If Yeldon truly is the best pass blocker at the position on the team, you keep him, even if we are trotting out the NFL equivalent of junior varsity cheerleaders at the QB spot.
(09-02-2017, 11:07 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]You guys vastly underestimate how important it is to have a third-down back that can pass block. I've seen it written more than once in my life that coaches has patience with young backs who aren't useful in the passing game, even young runners that struggle to find the second level more often than not, but a back that can't protect the QB in passing situations will find his way to the bench very quickly.

Case in point: Lawrence Phillips. Steve Young's career was ended because Lawrence Phillips whiffed on a pass block and got him killed. Granted, Phillips had more than his fair share of issues anyway, but it's worth noting that after the 49ers gave up on him later on in that year, he never played for an NFL team again.

If Yeldon truly is the best pass blocker at the position on the team, you keep him, even if we are trotting out the NFL equivalent of junior varsity cheerleaders at the QB spot.
In my opinion, you don't keep a guy whos only strength is pass blocking over a guy with the ability to play special teams, actually run the ball, stretch the field, and score. There are so many other ways to pass block for your QB whether it is a TE, FB, heavy line, etc. Anyways, Yeldon can't even stay healthy enough to show that pass blocking skill. Time to let him walk.
(09-02-2017, 11:07 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]You guys vastly underestimate how important it is to have a third-down back that can pass block. I've seen it written more than once in my life that coaches has patience with young backs who aren't useful in the passing game, even young runners that struggle to find the second level more often than not, but a back that can't protect the QB in passing situations will find his way to the bench very quickly.

No. You find another good pass blocker after cuts, who is a better runner than Yeldon (that shouldn't be hard.)
Pages: 1 2