Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Was Coughlin on the money?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After all the doom and gloom from the preseason I think this needs to be discussed.

All the fuss that was made about not bringing in enough help on the Oline; for Cam Robinson to show up like he did, not allow a sack to the Texans (who have one of the best Dline's in football, and had Clowney, Watt and Mercilus all healthy for the first time EVER no less) have them open the holes they did for the running game too. Maybe the line is better than we thought? Omameh had a fine start to preseason against the patriots but Gerald McCoy exposed him a bit (as he does to everyone as one of the premier DT's in the game). Maybe Coughlin correctly assessed our Oline as not as problematic as we thought? Could the scheme last year miscasting the personnel be what made us look bad?

Free Agent Signings & Draft Picks: Fournette, Cam Robinson, Calais Campbell, Barry Church and AJ Bouye are SLAM DUNKS!!!! worth every penny and the high picks. I can't remember the last time the acquisitions in the offseason actually lived up to the hype. 

Coaching deserves a mention as well. It's been obvious the team has talent, but it was a night and day difference with Bradley to Marrone. Gipson looked like the player he was with the Browns before he came here, Myles Jack had a career high 14 tackles. The Dline had everyone go off for sacks. and the Offense looked decisive and efficient. LOVED the 4th and goal call for Fournette to set a tone as well. For everyone whining about hiring from within, keeping Hackett & Wash etc. ... The results speak for themselves I'm happy this team actually looked professional for the first time since JDR was HC.

Props to Coughlin, Marrone and Caldwell. I think they executed their strategy flawless to this point.
Marrone knows what he's doing, that's the key difference.

Case in point, the last challenge. Marrone told the ref he was going to throw the flag then held it until the play clock ran down to 1 second. Clock management like that, burning all the time you can when you're ahead, is something Sprinkles couldn't understand.
I think they played their [BLEEP] off today and were overreacting to it a little.

Maybe not as bad as we though, but probably not as good as they looked today either.
Campbell was worth ALL the money.

This was what, only the SECOND game in Bortles wasn't sacked? Definitely looks like the FAs have panned out this year. Didn't see too many busted coverages like years past.
Absolutely not. This is still not a good offensive line. We ran adequately, but let's not pretend that there were gaping holes all over the place. We just aren't used to seeing barely good enough. I expect this line to be very inconsistent this year. Today was a good day and a good start, though.
This D-Line is legit -- but it's probably not going to face a push-over O-Line like that one again until December.

I do think Marrone instilled a some discipline in this group and they'll compete well, but we can't count on this type of turnover ratio every week.

Teams will begin to scheme against the run and force Blake to win through the air. Some will be better at it than others.

There's a long road ahead.
(09-10-2017, 08:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]This D-Line is legit  -- but it's probably not going to face a push-over O-Line like that one again until December.

I do think Marrone instilled a some discipline in this group and they'll compete well, but we can't count on this type of turnover ratio every week.

Teams will begin to scheme against the run and force Blake to win through the air. Some will be better at it than others.

Yeah, against a team with an average offensive line they probably don't have as many, but Campbell is a legit elite defensive lineman, and the coverage unit is top of the league quality when the starters are in. I expect the defense should be much better at making impact plays overall going forward than it has been under sprinkles.
They all did play good today. But one game does not make a dynasty. They have to be consistent which they have not been in recent, and not so recent, years.

I do hope they can keep it on track.
All the good signings are great ideas by Coughlin and the bad ones are inexcusable ones by Caldwell, right? That's what I was told
(09-10-2017, 08:02 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely not.  This is still not a good offensive line.  We ran adequately, but let's not pretend that there were gaping holes all over the place.  We just aren't used to seeing barely good enough.  I expect this line to be very inconsistent this year.  Today was a good day and a good start, though.

They ran for 155 yards.

That would have been good for 2nd in the league last year, better than dallas, the tacks, for atlanta
(09-10-2017, 08:47 PM)nate Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2017, 08:02 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely not.  This is still not a good offensive line.  We ran adequately, but let's not pretend that there were gaping holes all over the place.  We just aren't used to seeing barely good enough.  I expect this line to be very inconsistent this year.  Today was a good day and a good start, though.

They ran for 155 yards.

That would have been good for 2nd in the league last year, better than dallas, the tacks, for atlanta

I thought the pass blocking was much better than the run blocking. Run blocking looked average, albeit vs what is supposed to be a great front.
(09-10-2017, 07:50 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]After all the doom and gloom from the preseason I think this needs to be discussed.

All the fuss that was made about not bringing in enough help on the Oline; for Cam Robinson to show up like he did, not allow a sack to the Texans (who have one of the best Dline's in football, and had Clowney, Watt and Mercilus all healthy for the first time EVER no less) have them open the holes they did for the running game too. Maybe the line is better than we thought? Omameh had a fine start to preseason against the patriots but Gerald McCoy exposed him a bit (as he does to everyone as one of the premier DT's in the game). Maybe Coughlin correctly assessed our Oline as not as problematic as we thought? Could the scheme last year miscasting the personnel be what made us look bad?

Free Agent Signings & Draft Picks: Fournette, Cam Robinson, Calais Campbell, Barry Church and AJ Bouye are SLAM DUNKS!!!! worth every penny and the high picks. I can't remember the last time the acquisitions in the offseason actually lived up to the hype. 

Coaching deserves a mention as well. It's been obvious the team has talent, but it was a night and day difference with Bradley to Marrone. Gipson looked like the player he was with the Browns before he came here, Myles Jack had a career high 14 tackles. The Dline had everyone go off for sacks. and the Offense looked decisive and efficient. LOVED the 4th and goal call for Fournette to set a tone as well. For everyone whining about hiring from within, keeping Hackett & Wash etc. ... The results speak for themselves I'm happy this team actually looked professional for the first time since JDR was HC.

Props to Coughlin, Marrone and Caldwell. I think they executed their strategy flawless to this point.
Let's keep it in perspective; We were mostly running the ball so sacking bortles wasn't going to be an issue regardless. Nevertheless, nice job Cam Robinson. Cambell is the only 'slam dunk' in the crew you mentioned. But remember; all those sacks were going against a bad offensive line... In fact, their line played more like what I expected from our line! Ironic, isn't it? Let's see what we have when we play a team with a decent o-line. 
As for props to Caldwell... your joking, right? He's the guy who selected bortles and... Oh...yeah... Gus Bradley. He's so great they needed to bring TC here.
Yup.
(09-10-2017, 09:15 PM)StitchJones Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2017, 07:50 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]After all the doom and gloom from the preseason I think this needs to be discussed.

Let's keep it in perspective; We were mostly running the ball so sacking bortles wasn't going to be an issue regardless. Nevertheless, nice job Cam Robinson. Cambell is the only 'slam dunk' in the crew you mentioned. But remember; all those sacks were going against a bad offensive line... In fact, their line played more like what I expected from our line! Ironic, isn't it? Let's see what we have when we play a team with a decent o-line. 
As for props to Caldwell... your joking, right? He's the guy who selected bortles and... Oh...yeah... Gus Bradley. He's so great they needed to bring TC here.
Yup.

We've seen the Jaguars play against awful teams before and make them look like the 1999 Rams or 2007 Patriots.

I, for one, was glad to see the Jaguars curb stomp those [BLEEP] for a change.
(09-10-2017, 08:06 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2017, 08:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]This D-Line is legit  -- but it's probably not going to face a push-over O-Line like that one again until December.

Yeah, against a team with an average offensive line they probably don't have as many, but Campbell is a legit elite defensive lineman, and the coverage unit is top of the league quality when the starters are in. I expect the defense should be much better at making impact plays overall going forward than it has been under sprinkles.
I also have thoughts of coaching ups with jaguars coaching staff along with developing special cheating 101, learned at Pats combined practices
(09-10-2017, 09:15 PM)StitchJones Wrote: [ -> ]

Yup.

[Image: sour_grapes.jpg]
We knew Houston has a weak OL, and I am tempering my expectations until we face a better OL...

That being said, I am impressed with today's result, I just don't want to anoint the OL as being fixed or dominant just yet...They played better than I anticipated and I hope to continue to do so...

The defense also played better than I anticipated and I would expect more of the same...
(09-10-2017, 08:47 PM)nate Wrote: [ -> ]

They ran for 155 yards.

Let's not pretend like we're going to have 40 runs every game. The 3.97 ypc we did was solid, but not the 4.8 that the Cowboys ran for in 2016. Also, looking at it by the eye test, Fournette did not get very many easy yards. He earned almost every one of them. Again, there were no gaping holes. I'm glad they performed well, but let's not go all hyperbole here and pretend that they are anything, but what they are; a below average line with a couple of good players which can occasionally, collectively, put together a good game. The unit improved in pass protection last season and it looks to have carried over. We still need two new guards and a RT.
Myers has to go. He's going to cost us games.
(09-10-2017, 09:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Myers has to go. He's going to cost us games.

Yeah.

I hope they bring in a few free agents agents for work-outs and sign the best of the group. This kid's inconsistency is not gonna' cut it.
(09-10-2017, 08:02 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely not. This is still not a good offensive line. We ran adequately, but let's not pretend that there were gaping holes all over the place. We just aren't used to seeing barely good enough. I expect this line to be very inconsistent this year. Today was a good day and a good start, though.

You'd be unhappy about winning the lottery because you have to pay taxes on the winnings right?

The team overall did very well today. Give credit where it's due. We do need to see how we fare against other teams having better days than the Texans did today. We do need to see how consistent this team can be.

But man, for week 1 you can't ask for much more. Enjoy the win!

(09-10-2017, 09:44 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2017, 08:47 PM)nate Wrote: [ -> ]They ran for 155 yards.

Let's not pretend like we're going to have 40 runs every game. The 3.97 ypc we did was solid, but not the 4.8 that the Cowboys ran for in 2016. Also, looking at it by the eye test, Fournette did not get very many easy yards. He earned almost every one of them. Again, there were no gaping holes. I'm glad they performed well, but let's not go all hyperbole here and pretend that they are anything, but what they are; a below average line with a couple of good players which can occasionally, collectively, put together a good game. The unit improved in pass protection last season and it looks to have carried over. We still need two new guards and a RT.

The O Line was not a problem today. Save your complaining for another week maybe? As a matter of fact, maybe give some kudos to the rookie LT who played very well. Or the line giving up no sacks. Or the hustle that was apparent on several/most plays (Fournette is just a beast and outran his blockers)...which is also awesome by the way.
Pages: 1 2