Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: calling out D6!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
ok in 2 weeks Jags play at lions. Lions seem to be doing a lot better then the jags this season. It seems Jags,and lions have traded places no offensse intended.  seconed worse team in nfl behind winless browns. 

Anyways wht are your honest thoughts on Jags@lions.   probbley a very winnable game for detriot. 

Snowwolf,  I'm very pleased at how well the Lions have responded in crunch time this season.   Their have been exceptions,  including against Tennessee and Houston,  two AFC South teams.  But overall,  this team has displayed tremendous poise.  It's a reflection of HC Jim Caldwell,  both in terms of preparation / practice and in terms of his even kneel.   Matthew Stafford is having an outstanding situation.   I still can't believe the Lions pulled out yesterday's game,  which was won in OT.   It ranks with the comeback 31-30 win over Dallas 3 seasons ago as the most improbable comeback win by the Lions in the 2010's.  

The Lions have a much needed bye this week.   Injuries have been problematic from the Tennessee game in Week # 2 through the present.   I think the Lions will be as healthy entering the game against the Jaguars as any time since the opening day comeback win at Indianapolis.

The Lions need to use the momentum from yesterday to move forward.   This team is in no position to let down.   I follow the Jaguars closely enough to know that there's plenty of talent on the team.  It obviously hasn't come together but yesterday's game in KC demonstrates that the Jags are more than capable of competing against a good team.   If they eliminate miscues that are avoidable,   it will decrease the Lions margin of error substantially.   

The Jaguars will probably move the ball better against the Lions than most teams.   But so much will depend on what happens as expected the Jags get into the red zone.   The Lions did a very good job in the red zone until yesterday's Vikings final drive,  which looked like a game winning TD when it happened.   But part of that was the team's injury situation at CB.   I expect # 1 CB Darius Slay to be back for the Jaguars game,  barring something unexpected.  

One major concern from a Lions perspective is dealing with the Jags TEs,  despite the disappointing production from the position for the Jags.  All one needs to do is ask fans of the other 3 AFC South teams and many, many other teams how their team's TEs did against the Lions.  

The Lions probably will have enough balance on Offense to score 20 + points.   The team's Special Teams came up huge in yesterday's win.   If the Lions Defense builds on the positives from yesterday and the team protects the ball,   I like the Lions chances.   It won't be easy.  All 9 Lions games this season have been decided by 7 or less points,  which I believe is an NFL all time record through 9 games.

Hopefully,  no new injuries for either team.

thank you so much D6 for all the insight on both teams. What you wrote is why a lot of us here like,and respect you so much. your one of the non-Jags fan with good insight. I know you like Jags to,but always lions first. Yes i hope no Injurys for either team as well.

Quote:thank you so much D6 for all the insight on both teams. What you wrote is why a lot of us here like,and respect you so much. your one of the non-Jags fan with good insight. I know you like Jags to,but always lions first. Yes i hope no Injurys for either team as well.

My pleasure,  Snowwolf!   

Thanks for your thoughts.

If the first 9 Lions games this season are an indicator,   this game won't be decided until the last 2 or 3 minutes at the earliest.  
I consider D6 an honorary jags fan. He is here through the good and mostly bad with us, helping us deal. He's also a Lions fan, so he's a kinder spirit in having troubled years in the NFL.
D6 strikes me as being much like myself... a fan of the game for many years.  He gives excellent analysis and commentary.

Quote:I consider D6 an honorary Jags fan. He is here through the good and mostly bad with us, helping us deal. He's also a Lions fan, so he's a kinder spirit in having troubled years in the NFL.

The Lions have been bad much longer than the Jaguars. They never reached the NFC Championship game in their history, which is decades longer than ours. Their last playoff game was a loss in the wild card round in the early 2000s. Our favorite team won a playoff game in 2008. We can all learn how to be patient from D6 if only more people were willing. 

D6 seems to be a two-team fan because he knows so much about the Jaguars and watches a lot of Jaguars games, but denies he likes any team not called the Lions.

Quote:I consider D6 an honorary jags fan. He is here through the good and mostly bad with us, helping us deal. He's also a Lions fan, so he's a kinder spirit in having troubled years in the NFL.

Thanks, astrorengade!

As we know well,  losing can take it's toll on fans.    The way I felt after the loses to Tennessee and Chicago earlier this season is a reminder of that.   I appreciate every win,  as who knows what's ahead.
Quote:D6 strikes me as being much like myself... a fan of the game for many years.  He gives excellent analysis and commentary.

Thanks,  jagibelieve!

Like yourself,  I appreciate good plays made by other teams and the history of the NFL.    The skill level needed to play and coach in the NFL is extraordinary.
Quote:Thanks, astrorengade!

As we know well,  losing can take it's toll on fans.  The way I felt after the loses to Tennessee and Chicago earlier this season is a reminder of that.  I appreciate every win, as who knows what's ahead.

I wish every NFL fan agreed with you.
Quote:The Lions have been bad much longer than the Jaguars. They never reached the NFC Championship game in their history, which is decades longer than ours. Their last playoff game was a loss in the wild card round in the early 2000s. Our favorite team won a playoff game in 2008. We can all learn how to be patient from D6 if only more people were willing. 

D6 seems to be a two-team fan because he knows so much about the Jaguars and watches a lot of Jaguars games, but denies he likes any team not called the Lions.

The Lions reached the NFC Championship game in the 1991 season before losing to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Washington Redskins.  Before I was born,  the Lions won 4 NFL Championships.    This team actually has plenty of historical success but I wasn't around to see it in the 1950s.

I watch a lot of NFL games.  Based on what you mentioned,  I would be a fan of many teams.   Especially,  the Lions 3 divisional opponents,  which I watch more than any other teams in the NFL other than the Lions.  

I respect the Jaguars and fan base tremendously and hope the team remains in Jacksonville as long as there is an NFL.   But I only root for one team.   If you root for more than one team,  you have a conflict of interest,  which takes enjoyment out of being a fan.   At least on this end. 
Quote:I wish every NFL fan agreed with you.

Every person's perspective is different.   I've seen my team go through 11,  7,  and 11 straight seasons of not reaching the playoffs.   Just in those 3 periods alone,  that's 29 seasons combined.   Not to mention an 0-16 season during the latter 11 season playoff drought.   When a win happens,  I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible,  hoping that one or more significant injuries don't occur that would cloud the win to at least some extent.  

I've waited all of my life for a QB of Matthew Stafford's caliber.   I'm fortunate to finally have a QB on my team that has his ability and intangibles.   Seeing my team go against Fran Tarkenton, Doug Williams,  Jim McMahon,  Brett Favre, Warren Moon,  and Aaron Rodgers in the same division,  it's great to finally be able to match or exceed QBs of this caliber. 
The conflict of interest only occurs when, like this season, teams I root for meet. I hope for a good game with no stupid penalties by either team when that happens. In Week 1 I wanted Jacksonville to win.

The Jaguars are not even 29 years old yet. I believe the only way they can go is up and know the Lions are already going that direction.

Quote:The conflict of interest only occurs when, like this season, teams I root for meet. I hope for a good game with no stupid penalties by either team when that happens. In Week 1 I wanted Jacksonville to win.

The Jaguars are not even 29 years old yet. I still have faith in the players and believe the turnaround will start when Gus Bradley is punted.

What you mentioned illustrates how people are different.   For me,  I'm not comfortable with any conflict of interest.   I want the Lions to win every game,  regardless of record.  To the point that even if the 1st pick in the draft is at stake,   I rather see my team win and deal with the draft ramifications later on.

The Jaguars have a good foundation of players.   I predicted they would win 8 games this season,  with 9 wins more likely than 7.   It doesn't look like they will get to that point but with good decisions with ownership and the front office,   the Jaguars could indeed be headed for much better times in the next few seasons.   So much though will depend on the QB position.   If Blake Bortles can't get back on track or isn't given the opportunity to do so beyond this season,   that certainly will make it more difficult to achieve quicker success.  

Quote:What you mentioned illustrates how people are different. For me,  I'm not comfortable with any conflict of interest. I want the Lions to win every game, regardless of record. To the point that even if the 1st pick in the draft is at stake, I rather see my team win and deal with the draft ramifications later on.

The Jaguars have a good foundation of players. I predicted they would win 8 games this season, with 9 wins more likely than 7. It doesn't look like they will get to that point but with good decisions with ownership and the front office, the Jaguars could indeed be headed for much better times in the next few seasons. So much though will depend on the QB position. If Blake Bortles can't get back on track or isn't given the opportunity to do so beyond this season, that certainly will make it more difficult to achieve quicker success.  

Agree 100% on not tanking for the top pick. There have been more than enough early round busts and late round gems to prove it does not always help in the short or long term to get your pick of the litter.

Almost everyone in the media was picking the Jaguars to win the AFCS. Nine wins seemed to be a realistic prediction based on the talent infusion on defense and what the offense did last year. It's clearly a case of coaches holding players back and time to move on from Gus Bradley.
Quote:What you mentioned illustrates how people are different. For me,  I'm not comfortable with any conflict of interest. I want the Lions to win every game, regardless of record. To the point that even if the 1st pick in the draft is at stake, I rather see my team win and deal with the draft ramifications later on.

The Jaguars have a good foundation of players. I predicted they would win 8 games this season, with 9 wins more likely than 7. It doesn't look like they will get to that point but with good decisions with ownership and the front office, the Jaguars could indeed be headed for much better times in the next few seasons. So much though will depend on the QB position. If Blake Bortles can't get back on track or isn't given the opportunity to do so beyond this season, that certainly will make it more difficult to achieve quicker success.  

Agree 100% on not tanking for the top pick. There have been more than enough early round busts and late round gems to prove it does not always help in the short or long term to get your pick of the litter.

Almost everyone in the media was picking the Jaguars to win the AFCS. Nine wins seemed to be a realistic prediction based on the talent infusion on defense and what the offense did last year. It's clearly a case of coaches holding players back and time to move on from Gus Bradley.
Quote:Agree 100% on not tanking for the top pick. There have been more than enough early round busts and late round gems to prove it does not always help in the short or long term to get your pick of the litter.

Though my preference isn't to tank for the top pick,  in part because of what you mentioned and because I want my team to win,   one benefit of getting the top pick is it's trade value.   I'm reluctant to criticize others for their preference with these type of things because there's multiple ways one can look at a similar situation,  including the preference / comfort factor.  

In the AFC South Prediction thread,  I picked the Texans to win the division with the Jaguars finishing 2nd.    The questions regarding the Jaguars coaching situation,  combined with the youth on Defense,  is why I didn't pick them to win the division.   There's no question though that I thought the team would be further along than currently is the case.  
Quote:Though my preference isn't to tank for the top pick, in part because of what you mentioned and because I want my team to win, one benefit of getting the top pick is it's trade value. I'm reluctant to criticize others for their preference with these type of things because there's multiple ways one can look at a similar situation, including the preference / comfort factor.  

In the AFC South Prediction thread, I picked the Texans to win the division with the Jaguars finishing 2nd. The questions regarding the Jaguars coaching situation, combined with the youth on Defense, is why I didn't pick them to win the division. There's no question though that I thought the team would be further along than currently is the case.  

What the Browns like to do is trade down multiple times to collect as many picks as possible. The exception was the Julio Jones trade, when Atlanta was willing to trade the farm to move up from 27 to 6. This is a smart move as well, considering most teams would not want to give up a boatload of picks for a top five selection. I probably will talk a lot about that in the draft section after the Super Bowl.

I voted for the Jaguars in that thread. They had a lot more upside than the Texans, who have now proven they still don't have an answer at QB.
Quote:What the Browns like to do is trade down multiple times to collect as many picks as possible. The exception was the Julio Jones trade, when Atlanta was willing to trade the farm to move up from 27 to 6. This is a smart move as well, considering most teams would not want to give up a boatload of picks for a top five selection. I probably will talk a lot about that in the draft section after the Super Bowl.

I voted for the Jaguars in that thread. They had a lot more upside than the Texans, who have now proven they still don't have an answer at QB.

The current Browns regime certainly has preferred the trade down/  extra picks approach.  At some point,  they need to have stability with consistency of coaches and systems,  as well as putting together a nucleus of players.   The lack of patience has contributed greatly to the problems the Browns have had since coming back into the NFL,   

The Texans QB situation is indeed problematic.  However,  they have a coaching staff that continues produce winning records despite the QB position.    The QB position limits the Texans upside but they have less downside than many teams in the NFL because they are well coached and have good depth at many positions.   Especially,  on Defense.   The Texans CB situation is one of the best I've seen in the NFL this season.  
well its possbille Jags could be without another defensive player come sunday. Telvin Smith is with his family were he should be due to a death in the familey. Familey always more imporent then your football team. 

d6 all the lions have to do is let jags defense get to 3rd down,and the offensse will be great for lions. Last few years Jags are great on first,and seconed down,but come 3rd down wham other teams hand it to us. Lions don't have to worry about turning it over either,Jags haven't gotton a turnover over on defense in fore ever. Again though I hope no Injurys for either team. 

Pages: 1 2 3