Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Steelers Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Jaguars fans from the inaugural season know how special Steelers week used to be here.  During those first 6-7 years, it was usually the biggest game on the schedule, and more often than not, the games were really exciting.  Sadly, the NFL realigned the divisions, and our annual games against the Steelers went away.  Since realignment our matchups against the Steelers became scarce, and the Steelers won the last few...until today.  My thoughts:

1.  Years ago, there was a movie called Trading Places, where two Wall Street Giants went broke after making a bet to see what would happen if you took a Wall Street trader and made him a bum and vice versa.  If there were a Jaguars themed remake of that movie, today would be it.  Bortles has been known throughout his career as having a propensity for having passes batted down and throwing pick sixes to the opponent, while Big Ben has had a career worthy of Hall of Fame consideration.  Now Bortles didn't have the Hall of Fame caliber game, but Big Ben had the batted passes and the pick 6 INTs.  Actually, Big Ben threw count em FIVE (5) INTs, including two (2) pick six INTs in the 3rd quarter!  I absolutely LOVED it!!!!

2.  Another way the Trading Places theme was recalled today was in the running game.  For years, the Steelers were known as the ultimate run the ball/stop the run team.  Meanwhile, since MJD retired, the Jaguars could not consistently run the ball, and up until today, the Jaguars could not stop the run at all.  Not today.  Great showing by the Jaguars run offense today, rushing for 230 yards in Pittsburgh.  Closing the game with what...19 straight rushing plays in a row...not passing since about the 8 minute mark of the 3rd quarter?!?  I don't think I've seen anything like that in the NFL, and I started watching before the 1978 rules changed that opened up the passing game.  I've only seen things like that in the college wishbone era.  I think it is fitting that FT and Fournette both had their biggest rushing games to date in Pukesburgh!  Meanwhile, Bell did not kill us in the running game.

3.  Hats off to the defense forcing the five turnovers today.  Kudos to Ramsey, Church, Telvin Smith, and Gipson twice for the INTs of Big Ben, with special acknowledgement to Telvin Smith and Barry church for their pick six INTs that turned the game in the 3rd quarter.  Kudos also go to Abry Jones for his deflections.  I think the stat the announcers showed about the # of turnovers forced all of last year vs our 5 game total was telling.

4.  At one point during the offseason, I made the argument that the CB from Ohio State should be considered with our first overall pick this year, in part because I did not fully trust Colvin to be the nickel.  Without question, Colvin had his best game as a Jaguars.  He was all over the place today, providing good coverage and sure tackling, and he did it against a talented and formidable receiving forps in Pittsburgh.  I am glad to say he earned a lot more trust from me (not that he needs my trust), and I am looking for any recommendations for good places that serve crow.

5.  I was concerned when I heard that Linder would miss today's game due to illness.  Besides his ability to be physical in the run game, I figured we needed his experience to help get the pass protection straight with those complex blitzes the Steelers run.  But Shatley had a very good game there today, and showed why Lageman and company had been so high on him all of these years.  There weren't many rushers that came through cleanly.  Certainly Bortles deserves some credit for that, but I think Shatley does too.

6.  When Myers missed that extra point, i was not happy.  i was certain it would come back to bite us in the butt.  However, Special teams as a whole played very well.  Myers atoned for his extra point miss with a 48 yard FG in the 2nd half.  Nortman was unconscious punting the ball today, putting 3 inside the 20, including 2 inside the 5.  The one short punt I recall Nortman having was a 40 yarder with a 6 yard return, but that was mitigated by a penalty against the Steelers.  The coverage was good, too. 

7.  Rookie Watch:
[*]     A.  Leonard Fournette-Had his biggest day as a pro with 181 yards rushing and two TDs, including the game closing 90 yard TD.  His diving two yard TD was also a thing of beauty.  His missed block was a negative.  But today, he epitomized the back that got better as the game wore on.
[*]     B.  Cam Robinson-I remember him on the ground on one play where the run did not work, but overall seemed to have a good day.  I didn't see him beaten for any sacks, and I knew the best runs of the day, both by Fournette and Ivory, tended to be to the left.
[*]     C.  Dawaune Smoot-Got good penetration on a running play resulting in a loss of yardage in the second half.
[*]     D.  Dede Westbrook-DNP
[*]     E.  Blair Brown-Did not notice him if he did play
[*]     F.  Keelan Coles-Had one catch that I noticed, but it went for a first down.

8.  Bottom line:  Had you told me before the season started we'd crush Houston, Baltimore and Pittsburgh and be guaranteed of no worst than tied for first place, I'd have taken it, for sure, but I'd have thought you were nuts.  But despite the disappointment that was last week's game, despite the passing game and the run defense struggling, I am happy with what I see thus far, especially in comparison to our record at this stage the past few years.  Considering we won today beating the snot out of a team I have hated since 1978, that is frosting on the cake!  The only mystery left now is how the Steelers' fan brainwashing propaganda mechanism is going to justify this loss by saying it was due to some fluke or referee conspiracy.
Dante fowler has a sack in three consecutive games and was a main factor in the last pick on Ben.
Great game by the defense, Go Jags!
Penalties were low on both sides (only 19 yards on the Jags!)......fluke?hard to explain away when your quarterback throws FIVE interceptions.
The defense of the Jags is THAT good and the rest of the league may realize it in another 3 or 4 games.
Next home game I want Marrone to put them all on a plane and fly 'em around a couple hours.....then land and bus to the stadium.
One thing I'm really liking about this defense isn't just that we have good players at each position, but they really seem to make each other better as a group. It's pretty amazing what's happening in Jax. Guess I picked the wrong year to move out of Jax.
(10-08-2017, 05:27 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: [ -> ]Penalties were low on both sides (only 19 yards on the Jags!)......fluke?hard to explain away when your quarterback throws FIVE interceptions.
The defense of the Jags is THAT good and the rest of the league may realize it in another 3 or 4 games.
Next home game I want Marrone to put them all on a plane and fly 'em around a couple hours.....then land and bus to the stadium.

I think us beating the teams we beat gives us more credibility, I think.

There should be some excitement at the stadium Sunday.
Was about to post about Colvin. He had a great game in both coverage and run support.
Too many words, not enough pictures!
Posted in an earlier thread before the game. I watched week 2 and 4 at home to disappointing losses. Was out of town during the blowout wins of 1 and 3. Also gonna be out of town for steelers and if it was a blowout maybe I should just stop watching for the good of our franchise. Looking at this game that might be true.
Just watching the D play, anyone can tell they are legit. They are just starting to realize how good they can be. Last week I felt the game was almost over at 20-10 because our offense was so putrid, but I say almost because I know our D can score a quick TD on any given play. Bingo, Miles Jack 88 yards later gets us right back in it and another turnover allows us to tie it.

This week I had the same feeling. That the offense was doing squat and the defense might have to score if we had any chance of winning. Bingo, 14 quick points by the D and then a 3-and out with a sack. Then a bunch of runs that will get somebody's attention. Teams don't just run on the Steelers like that. Leonard's long TD was the icing and the perfect exclamation.

Leonard Fournette is the real deal, too. The Jags need to keep using him and also need to use him as a decoy to open up the passing game. Ivory was also effective today. The 1-2 punch is working well. A reliable run game + a top-notch defense can keep you in almost any game. I like how the D stays hungry and feeds off each other. Great chemistry developing.
I know Colvin catches alot of slack but he tackled really well today.
There's little room for criticism of Ramsey, but a push instead of a tackle? What the heck was that all about?
Sorry....now I'm thinking about Jamie Lee.
My impression of the game today.... pittsburgh got they [BLEEP] beat today. Plain and simple.

Quality write up as always my good sir.
(10-08-2017, 06:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]There's little room for criticism of Ramsey, but a push instead of a tackle? What the heck was that all about?

Unwise vs the game's best WR.
(10-08-2017, 06:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]There's little room for criticism of Ramsey, but a push instead of a tackle? What the heck was that all about?

Heck Prime Time never tackled.  I'll take it.  Nice to have the quality of play extend to even the Nickle Back.
By the way, I love the moxie that Fournette shows in egging on opposing fans to get loud, but could he not do it when we are backed up in our own end zone?
(10-09-2017, 08:00 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, I love the moxie that Fournette shows in egging on opposing fans to get loud, but could he not do it when we are backed up in our own end zone?
I like, too, how he mouths off at defenders when he climbs out if a pile. All of his actions point to a team leader.
Big Ben's impression. Buuuwwwwaaaa!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...it-anymore
Pages: 1 2 3