Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars.com - Smith AFC Defensive Player of the Week
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Smith AFC Defensive Player of the Week

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...b43a5f489e

Jaguars LB Telvin Smith named AFC Defensive Player of the Week
very cool for him to receive recognition
Third time he's won the award.

I suspect he will win more of them as the team plays with more leads.

As it stands now, I advocate re-signing him and not letting him hit the market.
Good work. Hopefully we can find a way to pay the man.
(10-11-2017, 11:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Third time he's won the award.

He is a good candidate for the franchise tag now that Brandon Linder has a long-term contract.
To win it 3 times in 4 years in the league is fairly impressive. With Campbell winning in week 1, this is 2 times in 5 weeks the Jags have won the award. Defense is playing full throttle this year.
(10-11-2017, 11:27 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]

He is a good candidate for the franchise tag now that Brandon Linder has a long-term contract.

That number will be north of 16 million.  The Jags aren't likely to pay their WLB 16 million IMO.
I loved this paragraph on NFL.com:

Numerous players on the Jacksonville Jaguars' defense could have taken home AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors for their thrashing of Ben Roethlisberger over the weekend, but linebacker Telvin Smith's 10-tackle, pick-six performance earned him the award. Smith's third-quarter interception off Roethlisberger, when the game was actually 9-7 in Pittsburgh's favor, flipped momentum and allowed the Jaguars to cruise to a 30-9 win.

You know the defense is special when it is hard for the media to pick only one player for an award. Let's see more momentum-changing pick sixes.

(10-11-2017, 11:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2017, 11:27 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]He is a good candidate for the franchise tag now that Brandon Linder has a long-term contract.

That number will be north of 16 million.  The Jags aren't likely to pay their WLB 16 million IMO.

What would we pay him on a long-term deal?
Imagine wanting to fire Dave Caldwell

Agreed.  The guy just makes plays, and he has really blossomed into one of the leaders in the locker room as well.
Luke Kuechly I getting paid about 12.7 a year. I can see Telvin resigning here for around 12.5-13.5 a year. 13 should make him the highest paid if not one of the highest paid WSL in the league. It will only get to 16 million if if gets to free agency. I don’t see that happening.

While they at it, lock up Colvin to about 5 year/19-22mil a year. That would make him the highest paid nickle corner in the league.
(10-11-2017, 11:46 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2017, 11:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]That number will be north of 16 million.  The Jags aren't likely to pay their WLB 16 million IMO.

What would we pay him on a long-term deal?

I'd guess they'd offer him 5 years at around 42-48 million total - with around 25-30 million guaranteed. 

That's just speculation from looking at a few of the better WLB salaries.
(10-11-2017, 12:03 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]Luke Kuechly I getting paid about 12.7 a year. I can see Telvin resigning here for around 12.5-13.5 a year. 13 should make him the highest paid if not one of the highest paid WSL in the league. It will only get to 16 million if if gets to free agency. I don’t see that happening.

While they at it, lock up Colvin to about 5 year/19-22mil a year. That would make him the highest paid nickle corner in the league.

Right, there is no way I can see the franchise tag number being $16 million. He will get paid appropriately.
(10-11-2017, 12:03 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]Luke Kuechly I getting paid about 12.7 a year. I can see Telvin resigning here for around 12.5-13.5 a year. 13 should make him the highest paid if not one of the highest paid WSL in the league. It will only get to 16 million if if gets to free agency. I don’t see that happening.

This contract  i
s a much better one to compare to Telvin's situation than Keuchly's.
(10-11-2017, 12:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

This contract
is a much better one to compare to Telvin's situation than Keuchly's.

That article does not state what Lavonte David's annual salary is.
(10-11-2017, 12:14 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
This contract
is a much better one to compare to Telvin's situation than Keuchly's.

That article does not state what Lavonte David's annual salary is.

So what?  What does that have to do with anything?  

Simple math tells you he'll make about 10 million per year if healthy and on the field, but my point was that David plays the same position as Smith while the other compared player's contract is for playing MLB.  They get paid more.

This contract  i

That’s even better. 10.5 would make him highest paid at his position.
Now pay the man

This contract  i

Agreed, I don't see him making Kuechly money who is probably the best LB in the league and plays MLB.
(10-11-2017, 11:27 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]

I dont see it. He walks in free agency.  It's him or Ramsey and I'd go with Ramsey. Sign Alex Smith and develop a QB behind Smith. We can't afford Cousins.
Pages: 1 2