Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Telvin Smith Should Get an Extension
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I don't know why this hasn't been done yet, but it's time to PAY Telvin.  Not only is he turning into a great player and leader, he also seems to be of a high character.  I'd be very happy to have Telvin lead this defense for at least the next 5 years.  We've plenty of $, let's get him paid!
(10-15-2017, 10:38 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why this hasn't been done yet, but it's time to PAY Telvin.  Not only is he turning into a great player and leader, he also seems to be of a high character. I'd be very happy to have Telvin lead this defense for at least the next 5 years. We've plenty of $, let's get him paid!

We are busy playing football ATM. Not exactly a good time for him to talk about contract offers. A deal will get done soon enough.
(10-15-2017, 11:54 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-15-2017, 10:38 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why this hasn't been done yet, but it's time to PAY Telvin.  Not only is he turning into a great player and leader, he also seems to be of a high character. I'd be very happy to have Telvin lead this defense for at least the next 5 years. We've plenty of $, let's get him paid!

We are busy playing football ATM. Not exactly a good time for him to talk about contract offers. A deal will get done soon enough.

This is why players have agents.
(10-16-2017, 12:23 AM)Tuxedo Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-15-2017, 11:54 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]We are busy playing football ATM. Not exactly a good time for him to talk about contract offers. A deal will get done soon enough.

This is why players have agents.

No it's not. Players on other teams have repeatedly set the regular season or training camp as a deadline to get a deal done so they can just concentrate on playing football.
Duh.

Dumb thread after 6 weeks of football.

Might as well make one that says Blake don't need an extension.
(10-16-2017, 04:28 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Duh.

Well... a lot of people on here have talked about letting Telvin walk if he commands big $... weak side linebackers shouldn't be over paid.... etc etc...

I say, if you have a player... you pay that dude.
Dude balls out every week.
(10-16-2017, 10:02 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

Well... a lot of people on here have talked about letting Telvin walk if he commands big $... weak side linebackers shouldn't be over paid.... etc etc...

I doubt the Jags let any young players from their core go. Telvin, Ramsey, Jack, Yannick.... They will all stay Jags. I could possibly see Fowler walk but also not likely.
(10-16-2017, 10:02 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Well... a lot of people on here have talked about letting Telvin walk if he commands big $... weak side linebackers shouldn't be over paid.... etc etc...

He was saying it is stupid to ask why the team has not paid him yet during the season.
Sign Telvin in offseason to big deal.

Cut Ivory in offseason- replace with smaller contract
Cut Hurns in offseason - replace with smaller contract
(10-16-2017, 10:07 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2017, 10:02 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Well... a lot of people on here have talked about letting Telvin walk if he commands big $... weak side linebackers shouldn't be over paid.... etc etc...

He was saying it is stupid to ask why the team has not paid him yet during the season.

Oh... well in that case.
The entire premise of a message board is pretty stupid.
Why are any of us discussing anything since none of what we say has any effect on anything?

I mean think about how much time is spent discussing and arguing all the stupid crap about football 365 days a year on the internet.
It's stupid to "ask" anything on here....
It's stupid to have a made up moniker...

It's stupid to be a fan of this team probably lol

Might as well make a thread saying we're all stupid.

(10-16-2017, 10:11 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: [ -> ]Sign Telvin in offseason to big deal.

Cut Bortles - replace with anything. Henne, Gabbert, whatever
(10-16-2017, 10:11 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: [ -> ]Sign Telvin in offseason to big deal.

Cut Bortles.

Division winner.
[quote pid='1045419' dateline='1508163153']

[/quote]

We've been down this road with ignorant Jags fans. Bortles is better than both Henne and Gabbert. That's why Coughlin/Caldwell are the decision makers and you don't have a job.

That is not how is works. Players restructure contracts while still employed by the team. They could change it to be backloaded or paid in incentives instead of a flat pay cut.

(10-16-2017, 10:14 AM)Frailbones Wrote: [ -> ]

Cut Bortles.

Division winner.

We can win the division with Bortles FYI.
(10-16-2017, 10:02 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

This 100%. It was made very well known before the season starts that Telvin is going to command basically the biggest weak side linebacker money in the league and that you can go out and get a weak side LB to replace him for a portion of the money. 

I have to say I absolutely hate this argument because Telvin is literally my 3rd fav Jags LB of all time behind Mike Peterson and Darryl Smith.
(10-16-2017, 10:19 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: [ -> ][quote pid='1045419' dateline='1508163153']

We've been down this road with ignorant Jags fans. Bortles is better than both Henne and Gabbert. That's why Coughlin/Caldwell are the decision makers and you don't have a job.
[/quote]

I have a job thank you very much!
Look... I used to be one of Bortles' biggest fans........ dude just ain't got the 'it'. He's literally being outperformed by people drafted THIS YEAR. Top 5 QBs shouldn't need SO MUCH help.
He should elevate the play of the receivers.
Also.. I don't think the receivers are that bad. They certainly weren't bad when everyone was thinking we were so deep and so good at WR we could somehow trade Hurns...

I was being facetious BTW.
Just saying... if we had a play maker at QB instead of an anchor, there are plays to be made that aren't being made.
And I'm not putting yesterday's loss on Blake by any means... 

but in our 3 wins, we've won mostly in spite of Bortles (save for his big performance in his favorite city, London)
in our 3 losses Bortles couldn't do ANYTHING to overcome the mistakes of WRs, STs, or OL.....
The defense shouldn't be expected to score multiple times just for us to win a frickin game.

Time to give it up on ol Bortles. Good guy. Helluva heart. Competitor... all the good stuff........ except the good stuff.
None of the fans have said that we want Telvin to walk. I have pointed out that one of Polian's biggest M.O.'s was not to pay off ball linebackers, and Polian is Caldwell's biggest influencer. Also it was pointed out that Blair Brown's skill set was almost perfectly matched to replace Telvin if they didn't work out a long term deal.

No one wants Telvin gone, far from it, but if you wanted to construct an argument that the team might not value him at what his lofty price tag will be it can be done. That's all.
(10-16-2017, 03:51 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]None of the fans have said that we want Telvin to walk. I have pointed out that one of Polian's biggest M.O.'s was not to pay off ball linebackers, and Polian is Caldwell's biggest influencer. Also it was pointed out that Blair Brown's skill set was almost perfectly matched to replace Telvin if they didn't work out a long term deal.

No one wants Telvin gone, far from it, but if you wanted to construct an argument that the team might not value him at what his lofty price tag will be it can be done. That's all.

Uhh... plenty of people on here have said that signing AR15 should take priority over Smith. I even recall some saying Lee should take precedence (this was prior to the season starting, iirc)
And if Smith is wanting more than x dollars, we should let him walk, because he's "just a weak side linebacker"

I'm not digging through the multitude of threads and pages it would take to find the quotes... but those fans who think they know how to run an NFL franchise are certainly on this board.

Doesn't matter who you drafted in whatever round. Smith is a stud. He should be signed and probably deserves to be the highest paid WLB in the league.
Unless I missed something, Telvin hasn't said that he won't negotiate now that the season has started. Some players have done that in the past, but I don't believe that he has. If the team intends to hang on to him, I'm sure there will be at least some outreach when the time is right. Just because we're not hearing about it doesn't mean it's not happening.
(10-16-2017, 04:01 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Unless I missed something, Telvin hasn't said that he won't negotiate now that the season has started. Some players have done that in the past, but I don't believe that he has. If the team intends to hang on to him, I'm sure there will be at least some outreach when the time is right. Just because we're not hearing about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

How often does it happen? What motivation to teams and players have to do it in the middle of a season knowing they start negotiations anytime before March 9?
We need a nose tackle and bigger lbs, I don't know, even though he's a beast on the field.
Pages: 1 2 3