Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Did the Jags go all in on Linder too soon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I mean, Shatley has walked in and barely missed a beat. Was this a mistake? Is this 52 million that should've been spent elsewhere on this roster?
(10-23-2017, 03:39 AM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]I mean, Shatley has walked in and barely missed a beat. Was this a mistake? Is this 52 million that should've been spent elsewhere on this roster?

I think they need to move linder back to guard and draft another right tackle.
Yes. Said it a week ago and everybody gave me a lot of [BLEEP] for it around here. I still stand by my comment now going on three weeks without him. We jumped the gun way too soon contract wise. He's not even a top five player at the Center position and like it or not his health has always been a problem going back to Miami. Again, missed a game his rookie year, missed virtually his entire second year, missed a game or two last year and now he's damn near missed a month of football this year.

If Shatley keeps it up as his replacement I do think it's best they leave him there as is. And they should consider kicking Linder back inside at Guard to replace Cann or Omameh. Then it makes some sense contract wise. They should be looking at another tackle in the draft next year to replace Parnell as well. If we keep winning games, which based on the defense and ground game seems it'll be the case. It's likely we end up picking in the late teens - early twenties. That's traditionally a sweet spot where tackles that were good on the left side in college tend to fall because most teams see them as better options on the right side.
We shouldn't have signed the starter because the backup is playing real well? I can't really get upset about that. You have to spend your money somewhere, and if Shatley had played poorly and we hadn't signed Linder to an extension, we surely be complaining about that.

I dunno, I'm just not in a complaining mood right now.
I am not complaining really either on my end. I just think you have to think about these decisions as the year progresses. Especially when you see the defense carrying the team and you have players like Telvin Smith exceeding expectations, leading and making plays everywhere with him on his last year.
No.

He's one of the best centers in the league and can play guard at a similar high level too.

Sure the injuries aren't ideal. He has a very bad illness these last few weeks which is more bad luck than anything.

We aren't in a position to let talent like that walk away.
In no way did we jump the gun giving him a big contract. He's a very good OL, he is versatile, he's a leader.

You don't bypass paying your top talent because you might be able to find other talented guys. This isn't the Oakland A's.
No
Linder has been, when healthy and playing, one of the very best guys on the Oline. In previous seasons, when he did play, he was the ONLY one who was good. I mean, obviously the Oline as a whole wasn't too dreadful last year, but I certainly recall people on here extolling Linder's ability back then, lamenting his absence from the line...

Maybe the contract seems like overpayment, but I'd rather NOT see this team wind up having an oline like the Colts have, thank you very much...if it means getting expensive to a degree, I can live with it.
We haven't exactly played Murderers Row while he's been out.
He's quite good, but center across the league is actually darn good right now. There are a dozen that are as good or better than Linder right now. He shouldn't be the top paid one.
(10-23-2017, 08:04 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]He's quite good, but center across the league is actually darn good right now. There are a dozen that are as good or better than Linder right now. He shouldn't be the top paid one.

The latest guy to get a new contract is often the top paid one.  By the end of his contract, there will be about 15 guys who are paid more.
No.
I say, put Linder at guard when he comes back and keep Shately at center.
(10-23-2017, 08:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]The latest guy to get a new contract is often the top paid one.  By the end of his contract, there will be about 15 guys who are paid more.

I know that's how it works with QBs, actual elite players, or guys that hit the open market for 31 other suitors, but Justin Britt got a deal like a week after Linder and he became the 5th highest paid C with that deal. That's about exactly what Linder should have gotten to get his payday a year early. It's obviously not going to kill us, but we did jump the gun a bit.
Whatever his sickness is was unpredictable. I think Jags paid a bit more than they should have but Linder has proved to be a great reliable center.
No way Jose
This is crazy hearing you guys talk as though Shatley were just as good as Linder. You need to watch them play more closely. Shatley is doing a find job holding his own, but he doesn't man handle defenders like Linder. When Linder is there you see him taking out LBs at the 2nd level, man handling DLs, making one key block after another, and you can tell rather quickly that's he's our best run blocker. Shatley is doing a fine job, but it's not the same. It's really not.

Next up you guys will be saying Wells is as good as Cam considering how well he played vs Indy. Why stop there. Move over Fournette, look at what TJ Yeldon did vs Indy.
(10-23-2017, 09:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]This is crazy hearing you guys talk as though Shatley were just as good as Linder. You need to watch them play more closely. Shatley is doing a find job holding his own, but he doesn't man handle defenders like Linder. When Linder is there you see him taking out LBs at the 2nd level, man handling DLs, making one key block after another, and you can tell rather quickly that's he's our best run blocker. Shatley is doing a fine job, but it's not the same. It's really not.

Next up you guys will be saying Wells is as good as Cam considering how well he played vs Indy. Why stop there. Move over Fournette, look at what TJ Yeldon did vs Indy.

Yeah.... the crappy opponent sure did help some guys out. Helps for backups to play against back ups lol
Should have spent some $$ on Airborne to keep Linder healthy
Pages: 1 2