Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Total Defense ranking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The Jaguars are now up to #3 in total defense.They were #6 last week.
 They are #1 in passing defense,and it's not close.The run defense went from 32 to 26.
And they're #1 in the most important Defensive stat, PPG. This Defense is only allowing 14.6 points per game right now. Next lowest is 16.4.
What a defensive team!

Saxonville...love it
(11-05-2017, 10:16 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]And they're #1 in the most important Defensive stat, PPG. This Defense is only allowing 14.6 points per game right now. Next lowest is 16.4.

That is right, I do not care about yards at all, only points. This team can give up 500 ypg and as long as they lead the league in turnovers and have the best scoring defense in the league they are still elite. People get caught up in yardage ranking, but its almost meaningless. Points are what matters.
Although I wouldn't wish it ever. I'm glad the secondary held up after Ramsey left.
Points are not what matters some of the points are on special teams or a function of how your offense plays. Yards per play and 3rd down % are the most important stats. Turnovers are important in winning but turnovers are like 50% luck.
This defense is playing extremely good, props to them, the one thing that slightly bothers me (I know its kind of nitpicking) is turnovers, they haven't got any the last 2 games and I wouldn't like them to continue that streak, that being said though they have allowed 0 and 7 points respectively in those 2 games lol just keep being great defense.
(11-05-2017, 11:39 PM)Jags239 Wrote: [ -> ]Although I wouldn't wish it ever. I'm glad the secondary held up after Ramsey left.

It really helps when every other starter in the secondary is above average. The amount of talent we've added to that defense in the last three seasons is staggering.
(11-05-2017, 11:47 PM)myrick31 Wrote: [ -> ]Points are not what matters some of the points are on special teams or a function of how your offense plays.  Yards per play and 3rd down % are the most important stats. Turnovers are important in winning but turnovers are like 50% luck.

Yeah! Who cares about points!
Blocked punt TDs, kick return TDs, and 56 yard field goals have nothing to do with defense. And the defense should not be given credit for when the offense has a 7 minute drive or Nortman pins the other team deep.
(11-05-2017, 11:50 PM)luigi Wrote: [ -> ]This defense is playing extremely good, props to them, the one thing that slightly bothers me (I know its kind of nitpicking) is turnovers, they haven't got any the last 2 games and I wouldn't like them to continue that streak, that being said though they have allowed 0 and 7 points respectively in those 2 games lol just keep being great defense.

I know what you're saying about turnovers.  I was thinking the same thing about sacks.   But then I realized it's hard to get turnovers and sacks if the other team never has the ball.  Cincy only had 8 first downs.  One of those 8 was by penalty.   They only ran 37 plays!  According to Oehser, that is an all time record low number of plays for them!  They only had the ball 19 minutes out of 60.  They only got 16 total yards in the entire second half!!   We made first down after first down.   We converted 3rd down after 3rd down.  Nortman didn't punt until the end of the 3rd quarter!

We can't get sacks and turnovers if the other team never has the ball!

(11-06-2017, 12:08 AM)myrick31 Wrote: [ -> ]Blocked punt TDs, kick return TDs, and 56 yard field goals have nothing to do with defense.  And the defense should not be given credit for when the offense has a 7 minute drive or Nortman pins the other team deep.

Yes, that's why the best defensive stat is yards per play and total yards given up. 

Points given up is not a defensive stat.  It's a team stat that includes all points, including pick-6s, punt returns for TDs, short field TDs where the offense left the defense in a bad spot, etc etc etc.
NFL Research ✔@NFLResearch

The @Jaguars lead NFL in pass defense, allowing 156.4 pass YPG

3 JAX defenders rank in Top 6 in passer rating allowed in coverage (Min. 20 targets):

S Tashaun Gipson - 30.3
CB Jalen Ramsey - 38.2
CB A.J. Bouye - 40.4

Spiking the ball every play equals a 39.6 passer rating

4:49 PM - Nov 8, 2017

[Image: otuOscvl_bigger.jpg][b]Bucky BrooksVerified account [/b]@BuckyBrooks
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]FollowFollow @BuckyBrooks

More
[/font]

Bucky Brooks Retweeted NFL Research
.@Jaguars have [Image: 1f512.png]-down corners and a dominant pass rush.. Hard to move the ball against unit that can blanket receivers and knock the QB around..
(11-08-2017, 06:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]NFL Research ✔@NFLResearch

3 JAX defenders rank in Top 6 in passer rating allowed in coverage (Min. 20 targets):

S Tashaun Gipson - 30.3
CB Jalen Ramsey - 38.2
CB A.J. Bouye - 40.4

4:49 PM - Nov 8, 2017

[Image: otuOscvl_bigger.jpg][b]Bucky BrooksVerified account [/b]@BuckyBrooks
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]FollowFollow @BuckyBrooks

More
[/font]

Bucky Brooks Retweeted NFL Research
.@Jaguars have [Image: 1f512.png]-down corners and a dominant pass rush.. Hard to move the ball against unit that can blanket receivers and knock the QB around..

The way Gipson is playing this year I feel is the best FS we have ever had.  We brought him here after he had a down year with the Browns hoping he could get back to his play like his 2014 season when he made the Pro Bowl.  He is having an even better season and the best season of his career.  He is a top 5 FS in the league right now imo
(11-08-2017, 06:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]NFL Research ✔@NFLResearch

S Tashaun Gipson - 30.3
CB Jalen Ramsey - 38.2
CB A.J. Bouye - 40.4

So it is literally more productive to throw the ball into the ground than against our secondary.
(11-06-2017, 12:08 AM)myrick31 Wrote: [ -> ]Blocked punt TDs, kick return TDs, and 56 yard field goals have nothing to do with defense.  And the defense should not be given credit for when the offense has a 7 minute drive or Nortman pins the other team deep.

The point you seem to be missing is even with that added in the defense is still ranked first in points.  Let that sink in.
(11-05-2017, 10:09 PM)jagboss Wrote: [ -> ]The Jaguars are now up to #3 in total defense.They were #6 last week.
 They are #1 in passing defense,and it's not close.The run defense went from 32 to 26.

#26 must be where their run D ranks per game, although overall they're #24 right now. I noticed that if you take out that one 75-yard run where the defense didn't even realize Powell was still alive, the Jaguars suddenly have the #18 defense vs the run.
So.... dey gud?
Not hating. But this Jaguars defense isnt an historic defense like majority of the Jags claim to think. It isnt a defense that could overcome a bad QB.
(11-08-2017, 10:06 PM)MariGOATa Wrote: [ -> ]Not hating. But this Jaguars defense isnt an historic defense like majority of the Jags claim to think. It isnt a defense that could overcome a bad QB.

So when they beat the steelers 30-9 and Bortles was 8-14 for 95 yards with a INT and no TDs, that was a defense that can't overcome a bad QB in your eyes?  

Better see an optometrist.

It's also important to note that in 4 games this season they've not needed to overcome any QB deficiencies as Bortles has played well - albeit inconsistently.
(11-08-2017, 10:06 PM)MariGOATa Wrote: [ -> ]Not hating. But this Jaguars defense isnt an historic defense like majority of the Jags claim to think. It isnt a defense that could overcome a bad QB.

I guess its a good thing we dont have Mariota
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5