Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is it time to give Marrone his props?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it time to give Marrone his props and admit his a quality coach. Left the bills after taking them to 9-7 led by Kyle Orton in a division with the Pats. Came here and has gone 8-4 as the head coach with a Bortles led team. Possibly our first playoff appearance since 2007 and first division title since 1999. The man has literally raised this team from the dead. 

I’d like to give him props with what he has done since he got here. I think he is capable of leading us to a championship
He'll be in coach of the year consideration if we win 5 of the next 6. I don't think he'll win it, but he'll deservedly get some mentions.
Impossible. I was told emphatically here that Marrone, Wash and Hackett were all leftover Bradley trash that should have been fired along with Gus. And Caldwell too!!

LOL
I wonder, though, how well would Marrone and the Jags be doing without TC.
Calais said TC was one of the reasons he signed here. If not for Calais signing here, I don't think we're having the season we're having.
(11-20-2017, 05:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Impossible. I was told emphatically here that Marrone, Wash and Hackett were all leftover Bradley trash that should have been fired along with Gus.  And Caldwell too!!

LOL

It isn’t a coincidence that the jags began winning again when Coughlin came back.  Caldwell got demoted and Hackett is replaceable.
I felt when he took over last year and the team just seemed to outright play better.....we had a different kind of Coach and the players responded.
He appears to be the type of coach who not only game plans well but can get the absolute most out every player on his team.
(11-20-2017, 05:27 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]He appears to be the type of coach who not only game plans well but can get the absolute most out every player on his team.

That's good stuff. I see complaints about yesterday's offensive game plan but it really was perfect. Don't let our own QB beat us. Run, run, pass...repeat...then punt. Keep them pinned on their side of the 50 and let the defense contain them there. Wait for the break, the turnover, whatever, and no Jag QB turnover inside our own 40.

Had Nortman punted more like Nortman, we likely would have put more points up.
(11-20-2017, 05:42 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2017, 05:27 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]He appears to be the type of coach who not only game plans well but can get the absolute most out every player on his team.

That's good stuff. I see complaints about yesterday's offensive game plan but it really was perfect. Don't let our own QB beat us. Run, run, pass...repeat...then punt. Keep them pinned on their side of the 50 and let the defense contain them there. Wait for the break, the turnover, whatever, and no Jag QB turnover inside our own 40.

Had Nortman punted more like Nortman, we likely would have put more points up.

Nortman was punting knuckle balls as part of the game plan, trying to force the muffed punt reception in the inclement weather.
(11-20-2017, 05:23 PM)Kcirred Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2017, 05:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Impossible. I was told emphatically here that Marrone, Wash and Hackett were all leftover Bradley trash that should have been fired along with Gus.  And Caldwell too!!

LOL

It isn’t a coincidence that the jags began winning again when Coughlin came back.  Caldwell got demoted and Hackett is replaceable.

Haha. 
The hate is still real with some of you guys, huh?  Caldwell is a major asset to this franchise as are many of the players he's acquired. 

I get a good laugh at how many of you are tripping over yourselves to lay all of the team's success at Coughlin's feet. 
Have fun with that. 

Hackett is doing a great job of keeping Bortles mistakes to a bare minimum BTW. No small task.
(11-20-2017, 05:16 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder, though, how well would Marrone and the Jags be doing without TC.

Coughlin isn't coaching this team.  That's all on Marrone and his coordinators, and while many here hated the fact that he retained his offensive and defensive coordinators, it looks like that was the smart play, and hiring Decamillis was just a stroke of luck.  Special teams have been a little spotty at times this year, but nearly the liability they were in the past few seasons.

I was a little skeptical about the team hiring Marrone after going through the dog and pony show by bringing in a consulting firm to find a coach, but when they hired Coughlin to stabilize the front office, and put him over football operations, I felt that the two of them were a good fit together.  Both hires have definitely changed the trajectory of Caldwell's career path, that's for sure.

I think Marrone gets all the credit for creating an environment where the talent can thrive.  He's old school, and it's clear the players have bought into what he's been selling.  He's not as hard-nosed as Coughlin, but close enough to keep some level of discipline in place.  These guys clearly love playing for him, and they're having fun without having to be showered in gum drops and rainbows to get there.
(11-20-2017, 05:56 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2017, 05:16 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder, though, how well would Marrone and the Jags be doing without TC.

Coughlin isn't coaching this team.  That's all on Marrone and his coordinators, and while many here hated the fact that he retained his offensive and defensive coordinators, it looks like that was the smart play, and hiring Decamillis was just a stroke of luck.  Special teams have been a little spotty at times this year, but nearly the liability they were in the past few seasons.

I was a little skeptical about the team hiring Marrone after going through the dog and pony show by bringing in a consulting firm to find a coach, but when they hired Coughlin to stabilize the front office, and put him over football operations, I felt that the two of them were a good fit together.  Both hires have definitely changed the trajectory of Caldwell's career path, that's for sure.

I think Marrone gets all the credit for creating an environment where the talent can thrive.  He's old school, and it's clear the players have bought into what he's been selling.  He's not as hard-nosed as Coughlin, but close enough to keep some level of discipline in place.  These guys clearly love playing for him, and they're having fun without having to be showered in gum drops and rainbows to get there.

Yeah for all the talk of Marrone and this regime being very strict they're clearly letting the players be themselves and talk their talk. I'm sure they have had talks about reigning it in some but it's refreshing to see nonetheless.
I didn't buy it even though it was obvious ever since Game 1 that they were a different team this year. I said to myself that if we won after the bye, and if it appeared that Marrone can use the week off wisely and get the team prepared and motivated enough for a win, I'm all in with the coaching staff. Sure enough they did just that.

Perfect hire at the time now that you look back at it. Maybe his tenure as an assistant coach gave him the inside look at the players, their strengths and weaknesses, and figure out the mistakes the previous regime was making. Players were also familiar with the guy, so it's not like they had to deal with someone new.
I really don't understand how this is even a debatable issue. Last year at this time, any of us would have been relieved to see this team get to 8-8. Now if they end up 8-8, the season will be viewed as an abysmal failure. Think about it, in less than a year, Marrone has turned this team from "maybe if we're lucky and catch a few breaks, we can scrounge up 8 wins" into "our expectation is the division title and anything less than a playoff berth is a failure". In less than a year, he has this team in control of their first AFCS title in November. And he's doing it with BB5 behind center.

When the Jags get to double digit wins and secure a playoff spot, he should be in the Coach of the Year discussion. If we win out, and especially if we secure a first round bye, he should win it, hands down. Last year we finished 15th in the AFC only above the Browns, and with a better record than only 2 other teams in the NFL. It's Thanksgiving and Marrone has us sitting in 3rd in the AFC with a legit possibility of securing the first round bye.

TL;DR  -   Yes, absolutely it's time.
(11-21-2017, 01:39 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't buy it even though it was obvious ever since Game 1 that they were a different team this year. I said to myself that if we won after the bye, and if it appeared that Marrone can use the week off wisely and get the team prepared and motivated enough for a win, I'm all in with the coaching staff. Sure enough they did just that.

Perfect hire at the time now that you look back at it. Maybe his tenure as an assistant coach gave him the inside look at the players, their strengths and weaknesses, and figure out the mistakes the previous regime was making. Players were also familiar with the guy, so it's not like they had to deal with someone new.

It was obvious pretty much the minute he took over LAST year. He's simply a much better head coach than Sprinkles even with the same roster and just 5 days to prepare.
One thing I appreciate about Doug Marrone; in most every press conference that he has, he uses the phrase "I have to do a better job of coaching these guys up."

He always takes the blame on himself and puts the praise on his players. Guys will run through a wall for a coach like that.
Look at a few of our previous coaches. Mullarkey getting trashed by Titans fans even though those guys are doing OK.
JDR greatly underperforming in Oakland.
Bradley was the absolute worst.

Now we have a guy here who stepped in after Gus and immediately made the team look better. Now I'm not saying I think this is going to happen, but Gus had 14 wins in 4 seasons. Marrone has a chance of tying gus' win record by his 17th game as jaguars head coach, it took Gus 62 games to get there!

Pieces were added, yeah, but Marrone definitely deserves coach of the year consideration if this keeps up. Winning the division would be a huge milestone for the jaguars.
During the first half of the game last weekend in Cleveland I posted: "Let's just get out of the half and regroup".

As soon as I hit enter on that I realized how much better coaching is this year. Under Bradley there was no such thing as adjustments or regrouping and coming out stronger in the second half.
The time to give him pros was when he won this first game with the Jags as a HC replacing Gus and you realize what is to have an actual NFL Head Coach.
Pages: 1 2