Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Robinson and Albert will both be starters (merged OL threads)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
You don't bring in a guy who will be making $10m and then not play him if he loses the competition at LT. Likewise, you don't draft an OL at the top of the second round and then not play him if he loses the competition at LT. I think what will happen is essentially the same thing as last year, whichever one of these two don't end up being the LT will be the LG. I think the  difference is that this will be a true open competition, whereas last year Beachum was basically guaranteed the job. But either way, the end result will be the same. My prediction for the line is:

Albert-Robinson-Linder-Cann-Parnell

Quote:You don't bring in a guy who will be making $10m and then not play him if he loses the competition at LT. Likewise, you don't draft an OL at the top of the second round and then not play him if he loses the competition at LT. I think what will happen is essentially the same thing as last year, whichever one of these two don't end up being the LT will be the LG. I think the  difference is that this will be a true open competition, whereas last year Beachum was basically guaranteed the job. But either way, the end result will be the same. My prediction for the line is:

I totally agree. It's either this or...

Albert-Cann-Linder-Parnell-Robinson

or...

Albert-Gennesy-Linder-Cann-Robinson

Chances are it's one of these. You know Albert is staying put.

If they are, it has the potential to be a halfway decent O-Line.

I enjoyed Caldwell's comment on Albert's holdout in the Robinson presser. 

"Does this pick give you leverage to alter Albert's deal?"

DC:  "We were never going to alter his deal."

With the addition of Robinson and now Gennesy, Albert lost all of his leverage.

He'll either come back and if he does he'll start, or he gets kicked to the curb and Robinson slides in. If he shows up, you're right.
Quote:I enjoyed Caldwell's comment on Albert's holdout in the Robinson presser. 

"Does this pick give you leverage to alter Albert's deal?"

DC:  "We were never going to alter his deal."

Now THAT's what I call leverage.

Quote:Now THAT's what I call leverage.
He has to be tough he is learning from Marrone and Coughlin. 

Quote:I totally agree. It's either this or...

Albert-Cann-Linder-Parnell-Robinson

or...

Albert-Gennesy-Linder-Cann-Robinson

Chances are it's one of these. You know Albert is staying put.

I like Gennesy..but doubt he cracks the starting OG spot over Bowanko or Omameh or Parnell.

He should make the roster but hard for an udfa to beat out 3 vets.
I listened again to the long video of our Director of College Scouting, and he added some more insight on Cam here. He mentioned that Cam has to basically hit the weight room and build up his upper body, but that once he does that he'll have the potential to start at LT for the next ten years. He see's Cam as a fixture at LT for a long, long time. This is why Cadwell keeps saying "left tackle." But none of that means he won't start elsewhere on the line if Albert earns the starting nod this year. Moreover, the instance that Cam will one day be our starting LT is reason to think he's definitely starting somewhere. You can take it to the bank that he's starting somewhere, and logic dictates that the somewhere would be either G or RT.

I see the starting line being:

Albert::Cann::Linder::Omameh::Robinson

Parnell will be primary swing T with Gennesy possibly making Parnell expendable at year end.
Quote:I listened again to the long video of our Director of College Scouting, and he added some more insight on Cam here. He mentioned that Cam has to basically hit the weight room and build up his upper body, but that once he does that he'll have the potential to start at LT for the next ten years. He see's Cam as a fixture at LT for a long, long time. This is why Cadwell keeps saying "left tackle." But none of that means he won't start elsewhere on the line if Albert earns the starting nod this year. Moreover, the instance that Cam will one day be our starting LT is reason to think he's definitely starting somewhere. You can take it to the bank that he's starting somewhere, and logic dictates that the somewhere would be either G or RT.
He got seriously schooled by Barnette who is no where close to clowney or watt. He is not ready to be a LT this year at all.  Unless Albert refuses to play.  Or does not try. 

Quote:I like Gennesy..but doubt he cracks the starting OG spot over Bowanko or Omameh or Parnell.

There's actually a pretty good track record of success for late round/udfa OL
Here is the O-man's take...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">...they loved Cam Robinson and are confident in his ability to eventually be a left-tackle in the NFL. Their plan for now is to have him compete with Branden Albert at left tackle, but I’m guessing Albert eventually arrives in Jacksonville and starts at left tackle next season. If that’s the case, I believe Robinson will play guard until such time as Albert leaves and Robinson can move to tackle. That is a perfectly common path for some rookies to the left-tackle position -- and considering Robinson’s skill set it’s a path that makes perfect sense.

Quote:There's actually a pretty good track record of success for late round/udfa OL

So how many of the UDFA from last year started on OL?

Genuinely curious...
Quote:So how many of the UDFA from last year started on OL?

Genuinely curious...

Not specifically from last year but:

Lael Collins

Bryan Waters

Nate Newton

Jeff Saturday

Jason Peters

That's just a short list of undrafted guys. Point being, OL is one of those positions where it's more common for late round or undrafted guys to have success.
Quote:You don't bring in a guy who will be making $10m and then not play him if he loses the competition at LT. Likewise, you don't draft an OL at the top of the second round and then not play him if he loses the competition at LT. I think what will happen is essentially the same thing as last year, whichever one of these two don't end up being the LT will be the LG. I think the  difference is that this will be a true open competition, whereas last year Beachum was basically guaranteed the job. But either way, the end result will be the same. My prediction for the line is:

I'm not trying to be a contrarian but I truely believe there may be a change on the right side, Look at the OL the Front office is bringing in. Mauler type road graders. Parnell and Cann will need to earn those spots. This is a power football team now. Its going to be the identity. I like the idea of Albert-Robinson-Linder but then that battle begins on the right side. 
Quote:I like Gennesy..but doubt he cracks the starting OG spot over Bowanko or Omameh or Parnell.

Gennesy excels at run blocking. Take a look at this tape and watch him on running plays hes so much more comfortable run blocking. The pass blocking is very shaky. This team is moving towards old school smash mouth football and I love it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_dQ4PHDqF0
It's going to be like what Miami did with Tunsil
Quote:Not specifically from last year but:

Lael Collins

Bryan Waters

Nate Newton

Jeff Saturday

Jason Peters

That's just a short list of undrafted guys. Point being, OL is one of those positions where it's more common for late round or undrafted guys to have success.

So Lael Collins was obviously a 1/2 round talent.

Saturday Newton and Waters are retired...

Peters took 2 years to crack the starting line up.

My point is how many UDFA OL immediately start.
Quote:So Lael Collins was obviously a 1/2 round talent.

Saturday Newton and Waters are retired...

Peters took 2 years to crack the starting line up.

My point is how many UDFA OL immediately start.

I never said they do. I said there's talent to be found there.

What I was inferring was there's not a pro bowl level of talent for Gennesy to over come to start for us. Dallas? No. Jax? Possibly
Pages: 1 2 3