Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The way forward as I see it.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Assuming the Jags continues their downward flaming spiral, then this is what I see happening in the offseason.

Fire Gus Bradley.

Hire new coach. I'd like it to be someone with NFL head coaching experience.  No more "up-and-coming" young guys.  Marrone (sp?) and Coughlin are certainly possibilities. So is that offensive coordinator from the Patriots.

Keep Dave Caldwell.  The losses and terrible play are on the coach, not on Caldwell.  This team still has a talented young roster.   Please don't give up on young guys like Fowler. The kid has only played in seven games. And it may be that he's playing out of position.

In free agency, make finding a veteran quarterback a priority.  Every year, there seems to be a quality journeyman that serves as a stop gap for a team. This way, we can improve QB play and, if necessary, draft a QB in 2018, when the QB crop should be better. The veteran can compete with Bortles and Allen in preseason, and the best player starts in the regular season.

In the draft, trade back to get extra picks to rebuild the offensive line. Everyone's job should be in jeopardy, with the exception of Linder.  Regardless of who's the QB, we've got to be able to run the ball.  To that end, we need to draft a RB, maybe in the middle rounds.

In the draft and/or FA, acquire another safety, cornerback, and if possible, a pass rusher.

Caldwell has a part in this [BLEEP] show as well.
Firing the GM means a three year rebuild, at minimum. Caldwell's basically being blamed for two picks (Bradley and Bortles), while ignoring guys like Hurns, A-Rob, Linder, Telvin Smith, Ramsey, Jack. 

Quote:Assuming the Jags continues their downward flaming spiral, then this is what I see happening in the offseason.

Fire Gus Bradley.

Hire new coach. I'd like it to be someone with NFL head coaching experience.  No more "up-and-coming" young guys.  Marrone (sp?) and Coughlin are certainly possibilities. So is that offensive coordinator from the Patriots.

Keep Dave Caldwell.  The losses and terrible play are on the coach, not on Caldwell.  This team still has a talented young roster.   Please don't give up on young guys like Fowler. The kid has only played in seven games. And it may be that he's playing out of position.

In free agency, make finding a veteran quarterback a priority.  Every year, there seems to be a quality journeyman that serves as a stop gap for a team. This way, we can improve QB play and, if necessary, draft a QB in 2018, when the QB crop should be better. The veteran can compete with Bortles and Allen in preseason, and the best player starts in the regular season.

In the draft, trade back to get extra picks to rebuild the offensive line. Everyone's job should be in jeopardy, with the exception of Linder.  Regardless of who's the QB, we've got to be able to run the ball.  To that end, we need to draft a RB, maybe in the middle rounds.

In the draft and/or FA, acquire another safety, cornerback, and if possible, a pass rusher.

Sounds good to me.
Gus is gone, either way. He should already be gone, but it is what it is.

Caldwell isn't going anywhere and he shouldn't just yet. He gets another shot at picking a new HC. Him and the new HC will get 2 years to prove they can win, or it should all be blown up again.

I think it's funny that people have guys all figured out after only 7 games. I also think it's funny that it only took 7 games for people to go from saying, "we got our franchise QB", to "man this guy is a bust".

So many people jumping the gun, making assumptions and so much crying/whining going on right now. I understand that we're all frustrated at another garbage season, but the writing is clearly on the wall with this coaching staff. Whining about everything under the sun on this board, isn't going to change anything.

And this isn't directed at you OP, it's more of a generalization of the current state of this board right now. It's full of unnecessary assumptions and flat out crying.

Quote:Firing the GM means a three year rebuild, at minimum. Caldwell's basically being blamed for two picks (Bradley and Bortles), while ignoring guys like Hurns, A-Rob, Linder, Telvin Smith, Ramsey, Jack. 
He missed on his hand picked head coach, and he has all but missed on 3 out of 4 top 5 picks. Add Cyprien, Lee, and Yeldon and you could easily argue that Dave has missed on all 6 of his highest picks from his first 3 drafts. 
These threads are just old. Let the season play out. No good coaches are gonna be available until after playoffs anyway. Marrone sucks. It can be worse. Changing just to change is dumb.
No Marrone please. We need someone who is a proven with alot of experience.
Quote:He missed on his hand picked head coach, and he has all but missed on 3 out of 4 top 5 picks. Add Cyprien, Lee, and Yeldon and you could easily argue that Dave has missed on all 6 of his highest picks from his first 3 drafts. 
:blink:  Lee is on pace for 818 yards with a quarterback that's only showing up for one quarter per game. 

You go ahead and call him a miss all you want, but he's not.  
Cyp is ballin.
Hey. Let's start a fire Gus thread.
Quote:Firing the GM means a three year rebuild, at minimum. Caldwell's basically being blamed for two picks (Bradley and Bortles), while ignoring guys like Hurns, A-Rob, Linder, Telvin Smith, Ramsey, Jack. 
Here's my issue with your argument -

Hurns - complete luck job, if they had any idea what he would have been they would have drafted him.

A-Rob - Solid pick.

Linder - Solid pick.

Telvin - solid pick.

Ramsey - Most casual fans would have picked him.

Jack - most casual fans would have picked him.

Outside this small sample you have the fact that the entire 2013 draft was garbage.  At this point in time it looks like bortles is a bust( maybe he can turn it around).  Fowler needs at least another year of evaluation....TJ Yeldon has been underwhelming.  Most of the FA's we have brought in have not been worth the money.

The final point is that this GM still believes in gus bradley....
Quote:Here's my issue with your argument -

Hurns - complete luck job, if they had any idea what he would have been they would have drafted him.

A-Rob - Solid pick.

Linder - Solid pick.

Telvin - solid pick.

Ramsey - Most casual fans would have picked him.

Jack - most casual fans would have picked him.

Outside this small sample you have the fact that the entire 2013 draft was garbage.  At this point in time it looks like bortles is a bust( maybe he can turn it around).  Fowler needs at least another year of evaluation....TJ Yeldon has been underwhelming.  Most of the FA's we have brought in have not been worth the money.

The final point is that this GM still believes in gus bradley....

Fair points all, but in regard to bolded:

98% of all FAs are overpaid league-wide.  It's a given.  

Saying the GM still believes in Bradley is also disingenuous as Khan stated multiple times that he wouldn't fire a coach midseason regardless of record. 

If Caldwell truly still believes in Gus at this point - then he needs to hit the bricks with him - but I'd bet good money Caldwell is already preparing his short list of new head coaches. 

Quote:He missed on his hand picked head coach, and he has all but missed on 3 out of 4 top 5 picks. Add Cyprien, Lee, and Yeldon and you could easily argue that Dave has missed on all 6 of his highest picks from his first 3 drafts. 

He got Ramsey and Myles Jack - two guys who were projected to be top 5 picks.  I believe with the proper coaching, and possibly an extra CB and Safety,  this defense will be very good.

Cyprien has actually played decent this year. Not exactly a star, but certainly a player who can help us, provided he's in the right system.

Lee - I agree with NYC4Jags on this one.

Yeldon? Not fair to judge him behind this terrible OL. I don't think Walter Payton in his prime could run behind this line.

Bortles.  Not ready to throw in the towel yet. Want to see how he does with a good coach, a good OL, and strong running game.
Y'all think a high 2nd round pick in his third year that is averaging 50 yards a game with 0 TDs and a measley 11.9 yards per catch is good? Pretty sure if that player was putting up those kinds of stats on another team we'd all be calling him a scrub. 

Quote:Y'all think a high 2nd round pick in his third year that is averaging 50 yards a game with 0 TDs and a measley 11.9 yards per catch is good? Pretty sure if that player was putting up those kinds of stats on another team we'd all be calling him a scrub. 
Yes. Considering his QB is struggling right now.
Quote:Yes. Considering his QB is struggling right now.
I think it would be fine if this was the low point of his career thus far, but as the peak...yikes.
Quote:Y'all think a high 2nd round pick in his third year that is averaging 50 yards a game with 0 TDs and a measley 11.9 yards per catch is good? Pretty sure if that player was putting up those kinds of stats on another team we'd all be calling him a scrub. 
You're conveniently ignoring the Bortles meltdown. 

And I think he's good because I have eyes in my head and I watch the games.  The games in which he's almost constantly open, often ignored and frequently thrown uncatchable balls. 

He'd be a 1000 yard/ 8 TD #2 receiver on a team with an average QB this year. 
Quote:You're conveniently ignoring the Bortles meltdown. 

And I think he's good because I have eyes in my head and I watch the games.  The games in which he's almost constantly open, often ignored and frequently thrown uncatchable balls. 

He'd be a 1000 yard/ 8 TD #2 receiver on a team with an average QB this year. 
Ignored by defenses, yes. 
One thing to remember about Joeckel. In 2013, he was considered by many to be the best player in the draft. Many pundits had him going #1 to the Chiefs.  So it's not like Caldwell reached for a player, like say, Reggie Williams or Matt Jones.  The consensus was that he'd be a star.  As I recall, there were very few--if any--objections on this board when we drafted him.
Pages: 1 2