Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles Free Agency Value
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Normally at this time we are already a month in free agency and draft talk. Thankfully this time is different but after  reading the Paul P thread I was wondering if Bortles  was a free agent, what do you think he would get in the open market?  These past few years we haven’t relied on good qb play but at same time never had to pay good qb money. 

No one thinks that Bortles is a $20 million qb but this is the first year we have to decide how much is a qb worth to us vs other players. Even if we all agree that he is a stop gap qb at best, what’s a reasonable contract to offer him or what do you think he will get in fa?  Giving his age and teams needing qb,  I seem to believe that he can still get a decent contract from somewhere.

No matter what direction we go, I don’t see us having a cheap qb next year( rookie contract) making the fo to decide on qb value Vs other positions.
(12-06-2017, 04:39 AM)Gojags Wrote: [ -> ]Normally at this time we are already a month in free agency and draft talk. Thankfully this time is different but after  reading the Paul P thread I was wondering if Bortles  was a free agent, what do you think he would get in the open market?  These past few years we haven’t relied on good qb play but at same time never had to pay good qb money. 

No one thinks that Bortles is a $20 million qb but this is the first year we have to decide how much is a qb worth to us vs other players. Even if we all agree that he is a stop gap qb at best, what’s a reasonable contract to offer him or what do you think he will get in fa?  Giving his age and teams needing qb,  I seem to believe that he can still get a decent contract from somewhere.

No matter what direction we go, I don’t see us having a cheap qb next year( rookie contract) making the fo to decide on qb value Vs other positions.

Flacco has that ultra-impressive playoff run years ago, but otherwise he's just been ok. I actually feel that right now Bortles is better than Flacco. That said, Flacco will be taking home a base salary of $24 mil next year.

When I look at that $19 mil for Bortles, I don't think that's way far off from what he'd average per year under a new contract. 
I just looked to see if perhaps Spotrac did a free agency contract analysis for Bortles, and they have...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-...ket-value/

They're pretty good at looking at the market and the player and coming up with a realistic number, and they're saying $17.5 mil per for Blake.
(12-06-2017, 05:18 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I just looked to see if perhaps Spotrac did a free agency contract analysis for Bortles, and they have...

They're pretty good at looking at the market and the player and coming up with a realistic number, and they're saying $17.5 mil per for Blake.

And this is why you keep drafting qbs until you have "the guy". I have a hard time justifying 17.5 mil for a 20 td/10 int a year qb who stinks in close games. I would imagine blake would be a backup on a lot of teams, i cant fathom 17.5 million a year for a borderline backup. He would start for the broncos and browns. He should have been a backup here but we were in a pickle at qb. I hope we restructure him for much less than 17.5 a year and draft his replacement.
(12-06-2017, 09:32 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2017, 05:18 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I just looked to see if perhaps Spotrac did a free agency contract analysis for Bortles, and they have...

And this is why you keep drafting qbs until you have "the guy". I have a hard time justifying 17.5 mil for a 20 td/10 int a year qb who stinks in close games. I would imagine blake would be a backup on a lot of teams, i cant fathom 17.5 million a year for a borderline backup. He would start for the broncos and browns. He should have been a backup here but we were in a pickle at qb. I hope we restructure him for much less than 17.5 a year and draft his replacement.

Ummm.. the market is the market. Terrible QBs get paid a ton because that's what the market says they are worth.
(12-06-2017, 09:35 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2017, 09:32 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]And this is why you keep drafting qbs until you have "the guy". I have a hard time justifying 17.5 mil for a 20 td/10 int a year qb who stinks in close games. I would imagine blake would be a backup on a lot of teams, i cant fathom 17.5 million a year for a borderline backup. He would start for the broncos and browns. He should have been a backup here but we were in a pickle at qb. I hope we restructure him for much less than 17.5 a year and draft his replacement.

Ummm.. the market is the market. Terrible QBs get paid a ton because that's what the market says they are worth.

Pretty much this. It is what it is. I was thinking he'd get something similar to what Glennon got. $15ish with incentives could he a good deal for him. Either way, he's going to get paid bc he's a QB.

Unless we're going all in on Cousins (who will probably get upwards of $30mil) we're going to give Blake a few more years and draft someone. I've said before, I'd be very happy with Blake and Mayfield behind him.
(12-06-2017, 09:32 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]

I think you underestimate how bad the QB position is right now in the NFL.

Bortles can be really bad... but he is a top 20 QB in the NFL at least. No way he is a backup. He isn't even a "borderline" backup. 

The problem with Bortles, is most teams would rather gamble on the unknown than spend money on an average QB with no upside.
(12-06-2017, 09:35 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2017, 09:32 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]And this is why you keep drafting qbs until you have "the guy". I have a hard time justifying 17.5 mil for a 20 td/10 int a year qb who stinks in close games. I would imagine blake would be a backup on a lot of teams, i cant fathom 17.5 million a year for a borderline backup. He would start for the broncos and browns. He should have been a backup here but we were in a pickle at qb. I hope we restructure him for much less than 17.5 a year and draft his replacement.

Which makes sense if there are no other options available that may improve the team. I do not think that will be the case this off season. I'd much rather pay someone over 20 mil that I believe is worth the amount than pay someone 17 that I know isn't.
Bortles gets a contract slightly better than Tannehills, IMO.
Everyone wants an Aaron Rodgers. There's only one.

I can't remember a time when from top to bottom the crop of QBs were so bad.

Bortles is a decent QB in today's NFL. That just sucks to me.
$17 million seems about right to me.

One thing I could easily see is a Blake Bortles trade in the offseason. It almost seems likely. There is no dead money and you could save money while gaining ammunition to take a quarterback in the draft. I know Bruce Arians really likes Blake Bortles, I could see something like a Blake Bortles for Carson Palmer swap and some additional compensation coming our way. We would save $5 million per year and have a good veteran placeholder on a 1 year contract at an exceptionally reasonable rate. It just makes too much sense for it not to happen.
(12-06-2017, 01:30 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]$17 million seems about right to me.

One thing I could easily see is a Blake Bortles trade in the offseason.  It almost seems likely.  There is no dead money and you could save money while gaining ammunition to take a quarterback in the draft.  I know Bruce Arians really likes Blake Bortles, I could see something like a Blake Bortles for Carson Palmer swap and some additional compensation coming our way.  We would save $5 million per year and have a good veteran placeholder on a 1 year contract at an exceptionally reasonable rate.  It just makes too much sense for it not to happen.

The guy wasn't even sure he was going to play this year and it makes too much sense for it not to happen?  It actually makes zero sense to me,

Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

Of course, a key to any contract is how much is guaranteed and how the contract is structured.
(12-06-2017, 12:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone wants an Aaron Rodgers. There's only one.

Really? 

I mean Brady, Rodgers, Brees are 3 of the all time great QBs. Ryan, Wilson, Ben, Rivers, Newton are MVP winners. Then you got an exciting new crop of QBs in Goff, Wentz, Prescott. Throw in some Stafford, Cousins, Carr and Luck.

I'd say that's pretty good.
Bortles wouldnt start for any NFL team. Period. Even the Beowns would not start him because he is clearly not a guy you wanr to build around. He only works here because we put help around him to succeed.
(12-06-2017, 12:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone wants an Aaron Rodgers. There's only one.

IDK....
ARod when healthy
Big Ben still has it (at least when he's not playing us)
Brady is still Brady
Wentz and Goff look to be legit
DangeRuss is legit.
Drew Brees
Kirk Cousins is no schlub...

I don't remember a time when the NFL had more than 10 Really good or better QBs certainly not more than 4 or 5 Elite QBs at a time.
What has happened is the league is so pass happy now that we expect bigger things from our QBs while simultaneously the college game has become more and more spread and these guys are less and less prepared coming in.
Also... guys used to sit.. no one sits anymore. So now we expect young QBs from non traditional offenses to come in and be Rodgers or Brady...

I think fans expectations of QBs have become so high that anything less than elite is now deemed mediocre.
(12-06-2017, 01:55 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2017, 01:30 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]$17 million seems about right to me.

One thing I could easily see is a Blake Bortles trade in the offseason.  It almost seems likely.  There is no dead money and you could save money while gaining ammunition to take a quarterback in the draft.  I know Bruce Arians really likes Blake Bortles, I could see something like a Blake Bortles for Carson Palmer swap and some additional compensation coming our way.  We would save $5 million per year and have a good veteran placeholder on a 1 year contract at an exceptionally reasonable rate.  It just makes too much sense for it not to happen.

The guy wasn't even sure he was going to play this year and it makes too much sense for it not to happen?  It actually makes zero sense to me,

Obviously, this assumes that Carson Palmer wants to take a shot on a contender for a 1 year deal. I thought that was pretty much made clear by trading for him, but I guess not.
I thought the Ryan Tannehill reference would be a pretty good salary comparison. I looked up his contract and the Phins signed him to a 4 year contract averaging $19.2m annually. Ouch! I had no idea the mediocre QB salaries had ballooned so high.
(12-06-2017, 02:46 PM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the Ryan Tannehill reference would be a pretty good salary comparison.  I looked up his contract and the Phins signed him to a 4 year contract averaging $19.2m annually.  Ouch!  I had no idea the mediocre QB salaries had ballooned so high.
Did you not see what Mike Glennon and Osweiler got?
(12-06-2017, 02:18 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

IDK....
ARod when healthy
Big Ben still has it (at least when he's not playing us)
Brady is still Brady
Wentz and Goff look to be legit
DangeRuss is legit.
Drew Brees
Kirk Cousins is no schlub...

I don't remember a time when the NFL had more than 10 Really good or better QBs certainly not more than 4 or 5 Elite QBs at a time.
What has happened is the league is so pass happy now that we expect bigger things from our QBs while simultaneously the college game has become more and more spread and these guys are less and less prepared coming in.
Also... guys used to sit.. no one sits anymore. So now we expect young QBs from non traditional offenses to come in and be Rodgers or Brady...

I think fans expectations of QBs have become so high that anything less than elite is now deemed mediocre.

Pretty much this. To add a little caveat, we've been spoiled by the current group of generational talent level QBs about to be done. It reinforces your last sentence. There's no reason we should have had Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers, Eli all playing in their prime at the same time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7