Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Brandon Linder: "Taking most reps at G"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Brandon Linder just stated (jaguars.com live after practice presser) that thus far in OTAs he's taking most of his reps at guard and a few at center. 

Has no idea where he'll be week one. 

Obviously, it's early and this may be no indicator, but they clearly want to see these linemen play different spots to define flexibility and skill set. 

Good to hear.

And nothing to fear.

Unlike others, I think being able to move Linder back to G can only strengthen the line.

It means we've got a more than capable C.

Who has been playing Center?
Cann has been poor so I'm glad he's not just given another year of starting
I would assume Bowanko, they are probably throwing everything they have at Parker Collins as well to see what they've got.

Quote:Who has been playing Center?

Shatley?
Quote:Who has been playing Center?

Mike Kaye said they're not allowed​ to say until the team puts it out there. I'd put my money on Bowanko
Quote:Mike Kaye said they're not allowed​ to say until the team puts it out there. I'd put my money on Bowanko

Yep, I was a bit surprised they let the Linder news out at all.  That's the type of thing they usually don't divulge from closed practices.
Earlier on 1010 they went around the horn and asked the crew. What five people will be starting at what positions on the line? Would be hard to do that at the current time and I don't think that bodes well. But also obviously what they were doing last year did not go well either. So I say, more power to them. Mix it up and get the best damn 5 on the field...........................................AND WIN SOME FRIGGIN GAMES!!!

Quote:Earlier on 1010 they went around the horn and asked the crew. What five people will be starting at what positions on the line? Would be hard to do that at the current time and I don't think that bodes well.

They also reiterated that Coughlin and co was not worried about the line.  Don't want to leave that out.  That was reflective in their offseason moves, where many (myself included) preferred we had done more.
Quote: ...get the best damn 5 on the field...

Whatever it takes.  ^  This. 
I would welcome having Linder back at Guard - he was very very good there.

But, if we were going to do that we should have brought in a veteran center through free agency or drafted one, because Bowanko or Shatley aren't the answer. We didn't do that.
Quote:Whatever it takes.  ^  This. 
Agreed with this, but the question then becomes "Are the best 5 good enough?"

I am among those that wanted a heavier emphasis on OL in the draft.

Considering how prevalent the 3-4 is in our schedule, I can certainly see an argument for keeping Linder at C to hold the middle against the stud NTs we're going to face.  I'm not entirely convinced Bowanko can do the job.

But he (Linder) played well at G, so, there's that.
Quote:Agreed with this, but the question then becomes "Are the best 5 good enough?"

I am among those that wanted a heavier emphasis on OL in the draft.

Yeah. Lots of question marks remaining along that front. 

Personally - I don't think we'll have a clear idea on where the staff stands on the O-Line until the last week of July/first week of August. 

I think they are trying to really evaluate guys at different spots right now since Albert's status is somewhat dubious and there are technically 4 guys on the roster that can play center. 

They want to be prepared to shuffle however they need to depending on Albert's readiness and/or injury to an anticipated starter.

Linder taking lots of snaps in May/June at guard may not mean they plan to move him. 

A lot of love for Bowanko to start at Center but I'm thinking its Shatleys job.  Albert-Robinson-Shatley-Linder-Parnell should be able to move the line for LF better than any other combination

Linder has potential to be pro-bowl caliber at guard.  At center he was average at best.  Put him back where he belongs and find a different solution for center.  

My 2 cents.

Quote:Yeah. Lots of question marks remaining along that front. 

Personally - I don't think we'll have a clear idea on where the staff stands on the O-Line until the last week of July/first week of August. 

I think they are trying to really evaluate guys at different spots right now since Albert's status is somewhat dubious and there are technically 4 guys on the roster that can play center. 

They want to be prepared to shuffle however they need to depending on Albert's readiness and/or injury to an anticipated starter.

Linder taking lots of snaps in May/June at guard may not mean they plan to move him. 
I guess my question is at this point, why wouldn't Marrone know who the best five are, considering he was the OL coach the past two seasons and we've had few OL added this offseason?

Is Marrone accounting for player development/decline?

Is he accounting for performance in a brand new scheme/new philosophies?

Was he somehow precluded from experimenting/making changes along the OL by Bradley?

Is he trying to cultivate a less comfortable/more competitive environment among the OL?

As it pertains to Linder specifically, did Marrone have a firm conviction that he was better at G? 

Does Marrone have a lesser opinion of someone like Cann, or perhaps a higher opinion of Bowanko?

Lots of questions, indeed.

Albert or Robinson/Cann/?/Linder/Parnell

ehhhh

Quote:Linder has potential to be pro-bowl caliber at guard.  At center he was average at best.  Put him back where he belongs and find a different solution for center.  

My 2 cents.

I thought Linder was pretty good at center. Maybe not great, but good. 

Regardless  -- if we're talking candidates at Center  -- we may as well include AJ Cann as a possibility as well. 

Remember Mayock's draft profile on him?

Quote: 

DRAFT ANALYSIS:
"This kid can play center or guard. He can be an immediate starter. Ultimately, I think he kicks all the way inside and plays center." -- Mike Mayock

Pages: 1 2 3 4