Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: New Years Eve Flex Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, I live in Atlanta and on their sports talk radio channel 92fm, they've been talking about a game being flexed into an 830 slot on new years eve. They say it will be either the Falcons game or Jags game. They claimed the league office has already discussed this with the Falcons and it would come down to if they win this weekend against the Saints. Has anybody else heard anything like this? I couldn't find any news on it anywhere else.
It might be that the Titans game is meaningless. Either the Rams beat the Titans, or the Jags beat the 9ers, and the Titans game becomes meaningless.
(12-22-2017, 08:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It might be that the Titans game is meaningless.   Either the Rams beat the Titans, or the Jags beat the 9ers, and the Titans game becomes meaningless.

Not completely meaningless.  If we win/they lose Sunday they could still be fighting for a playoff spot.  That's some drama on week 17: win or go home.
Dude, I live north of atlanta in ellijay and all I listen to is 92.9
(12-22-2017, 09:26 AM)Abrymer217 Wrote: [ -> ]Dude, I live north of atlanta in ellijay and all I listen to is 92.9

Yeah I actually live in Grayson in Gwinnett county. That's all I listen to as well. It took me a minute to warm up to Hugh Douglas after his history with the Jags but I can tolerate him now. I like Wes and Dave though. I also like that they talk far more football than any other sports.
(12-22-2017, 08:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It might be that the Titans game is meaningless.   Either the Rams beat the Titans, or the Jags beat the 9ers, and the Titans game becomes meaningless.

Week 17 game will have meaning regardless. Jags could be playing for a bye week. Could still be for the division. Titans may need a win to get in as a wildcard. It kept d3finitely will not be a meaningless game.
there is no night game on new years eve
At this point, I don't expect to see my Jags on the TV until playoffs. All the flexing will be done after they hoist the trophy.
(12-22-2017, 10:51 AM)majik Wrote: [ -> ]there is no night game on new years eve

We are talking about the game that is going to be flexed into the night game.there is no night game scheduled as of right this second, but there will be.
Any idea if week 17 might get flexed? Division title on the line of ATL and CAR both win in week 16.

— ArbitraryMike (@arbitrarymike) December 19, 2017
I think it's happening even if the Panthers and/or Falcons lose this weekend.

Next week's slate of games isn't great, and whether it's for the division or a wild card, Carolina and Atlanta will each have something to play for. The only other possibilities would be Cowboys/Eagles (if Philadelphia doesn't lock up the No. 1 seed this weekend) or Jaguars/Titans.
(12-22-2017, 10:51 AM)majik Wrote: [ -> ]there is no night game on new years eve

I know. They are saying that one will be flexed into that slot. Apparently it's happened before.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/04/nfl-sc...me-ranking
If the Jaguars lose and the Titans win, I'd be shocked if our game wasn't flexed. If the AFC South is no longer at stake, I'd be a little more surprised if we did, but I still wouldn't rule out the NFL throwing arguably the hottest team in the league onto national TV right before we start watching them in the playoffs.
(12-22-2017, 12:24 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]If the Jaguars lose and the Titans win, I'd be shocked if our game wasn't flexed. If the AFC South is no longer at stake, I'd be a little more surprised if we did, but I still wouldn't rule out the NFL throwing arguably the hottest team in the league onto national TV right before we start watching them in the playoffs.

Perhaps...(but I really don't see the tacks winning, even if we could lose out West)
I just think there is more at stake with possibly higher profile teams in the NFCS matchups. 

Would the country rather watch Jags/tacks for a possible AFCS division title.
Or last years SB runner up and MVP VS the Drew Brees led Saints for NFCS division title.

My best guess is the latter. Not even a knock on the Jags... just the tacks haven't been fun to watch this season.
But if the NFCS is decided, and our game is for the AFCS, yeah they'd probably flex the game with division implications over WC seeding.
(12-22-2017, 12:31 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2017, 12:24 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]If the Jaguars lose and the Titans win, I'd be shocked if our game wasn't flexed. If the AFC South is no longer at stake, I'd be a little more surprised if we did, but I still wouldn't rule out the NFL throwing arguably the hottest team in the league onto national TV right before we start watching them in the playoffs.

Perhaps...(but I really don't see the tacks winning, even if we could lose out West)
I just think there is more at stake with possibly higher profile teams in the NFCS matchups. 

Would the country rather watch Jags/tacks for a possible AFCS division title.
Or last years SB runner up and MVP VS the Drew Brees led Saints for NFCS division title.

My best guess is the latter. Not even a knock on the Jags... just the tacks haven't been fun to watch this season.
But if the NFCS is decided, and our game is for the AFCS, yeah they'd probably flex the game with division implications over WC seeding.

It'd be falcons Panthers. Falcons saints is this week. Cam is a bum, so I would rather watch the jags regardless. If the saints beat the falcons this weekend there is a better chance that the Jags game gets the flex, because the saints should cruise against the bucs to secure the south title in week 17.
(12-22-2017, 12:31 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah, I think it's a moot point. The Titans are in a tail spin. The Rams are one of very few teams that match up well against us. I fully expect a one-sided blowout in favor of the Rams, but I do think the 49ers game is going to be closer for us than many people are expecting.
Panthers/Falcons will be the more compelling game unless the nightmare scenario of the Jags losing/tacks winning this weekend plays out. However, I could see the Jags/tacks game getting flexed even if the division is not on the line due to the fact that the nation as a whole hasn't seen the Jaguars play this year on a nationally televised game and we're probably the only playoff team that can be said about.
(12-22-2017, 01:27 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Panthers/Falcons will be the more compelling game unless the nightmare scenario of the Jags losing/tacks winning this weekend plays out. However, I could see the Jags/tacks game getting flexed even if the division is not on the line due to the fact that the nation as a whole hasn't seen the Jaguars play this year on a nationally televised game and we're probably the only playoff team that can be said about.

This is a good point. Advertising the Jags to the nation to potentially increase viewership for our playoff game could be an angle. There's plenty of stories for the top broadcasters to speak on during the game. Plus even if the Titans lose against LA, it could be sold that the Jags want the rematch to really own the division.
Hope it's not the Jags game. I'm trying to get drunk and shoot off fireworks not watch football on New Years eve.
I don't want to be flexed haha. I want to watch the game prior to drink time
(12-22-2017, 03:19 PM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]Hope it's not the Jags game. I'm trying to get drunk and shoot off fireworks not watch football on New Years eve.

Fireworks after every Jags score?
Pages: 1 2