Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What have we learned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So far into the draft what have we learned about the coaches plan or evaluation of the Jags current Foster?

1. Bortles or bust. Jags are all in on Bortles hoping he can become a efficient QB.

2. Jags are comfortable with the Oline.

3. Seems as if Ngakou and Fowler will be the primary edge rushers
Quote:So far into the draft what have we learned about the coaches plan or evaluation of the Jags current Foster?

They traded for a LT and drafted a OT/OG in the second. 

I don't think that qualifies as "comfortable." 
Quote:They traded for a LT and drafted a OT/OG in the second.

I don't think that qualifies as "comfortable."

I think they believe the interior oline solution is in house. I personally wanted to see a guard added the offseason
Quote:I think they believe the interior oline solution is in house. I personally wanted to see a guard added the offseason

Yeah. I wanted Lamp or Feeney personally.  As it stands -  I think Robinson will play LG for a year or two before moving to tackle and they'll draft or sign another guard next year. 

Quote:So far into the draft what have we learned about the coaches plan or evaluation of the Jags current Foster?

1. Bortles or bust. Jags are all in on Bortles hoping he can become a efficient QB.

3. Seems as if Ngakou and Fowler will be the primary edge rushers

1.  Bortles will be fine.

2.  O-line has been addressed with the BAP at the position thus far.

3.  Defensively the team will be fine.
I'm fine with Ngakoue being the primary edge rusher. Dude is a sack machine.
Talent on roster has gone up - a few players drafted who are not immediate need/starter
At the end of the day, this will go as far as Bortles leads us. I hope he turns it on.
Quote:1.  Bortles will be fine.

2.  O-line has been addressed with the BAP at the position thus far.

3.  Defensively the team will be fine.

1. No evidence at all to assure this, he is the biggest unknown this season.  He will do well or we will be drafting a QB in round 1 next year.

2. We double up a position where we have a starter already.  LG is the biggest weakness and went untouched this draft.  That's my biggest concern unless they do indeed move Robinson to LG for now which Caldwell gave absolutely no indication that they intended to do that at this point.

3. Agreed, except we still need a game-changing pass rusher to emerge or draft one next year.
Can anyone tell me the last time a Guard

( converted tackle ) was any good?
I learned that regardless of needs, this new regime will go BAP
One of the analysts on ESPN earlier was asked about who was going to have the biggest impact in 2017 and he chose Fournette and stated that the Jags RB's last year were #1 in yards gained before contact meaning they were getting good enough blocking.  Not sure if that stat is legit, but it is interesting if true.

Tough stat to corroborate, but this is what I've found and must've been what the analyst was referring to:

[Image: zph0pq2ggdly.png]

Jags were #1 in man blocking schemed run plays in pre-contact yards.

EDIT: Here's the original link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/5z...n_concept/

Saw it on twitter somewhere too.

Quote:Can anyone tell me the last time a Guard

Happens all the time. Just look at the most recent pro bowl roster.

Marshal Yanda, Kelechi Osemele, Zack Martin, Brandon Scherff, and T.J. Lang were all converted tackles.

Zach martin

Brandon Scherff
If you watched Dave Caldwell talk after we selected Cam Robinson, then you know that Cam is NOT playing Guard, so quit speculating about it.  He's playing Left Tackle.  It was so apparent that it also appeared that there is ZERO doubt in Dave's mind that Cam is already the starter, and it almost looked like he wanted to go ahead and say he would be starting.  It appears that Albert has really pissed the front office off by no calling/ no showing.  It'd appear that our line will be Cam Robinson, Cann/Omameh, Linder, Cann/Omameh, and Parnell.  I think that this line can get it done this year, but I would expect us to look for another guard and tackle next off season to compete with Omameh and Parnell. 

We have done some good things this off season.  As much as we would all like us too, you can NOT fix every hole on the team in one off season.  Even the Patriots have holes on their roster.  You have to hope that some of your stronger positions are strong enough to cover those holes up as much as possible. 

Lastly it's also clear as day that we have gone all in with Blake, which we should have.  Best case scenario he improves and looks like the answer long term, worst case scenario he doesn't improve, and we are looking for a quarterback in a strong quarterback class next year.  I think that it's also obvious that the organization blames Gus' coaching style/environment for the majority of the problems our team had last year.  Hopefully under new leadership, our young players finally take that step and start to live up to the hype/potential. 

I immediately thought of Jonathan Ogden.  He played guard his rookie season before having the career he did at LT.

Reminds me a lot of this situation, given we don't know what's going on with Albert.

I believe the long view is LT for Robinson.  Albert doesn't have a lot of miles left regardless of what happens with him.
Quote:I learned that regardless of needs, this new regime will go BAP

Calldwell flatly called the first and second round picks "starters at positions of need." 

Kelechi Keith Ayo Osemele
Pages: 1 2