Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Walmart Raises Minimum Wage to $11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Trump effect taking place all over.
“Tax reform gives us the opportunity to be more competitive globally and to accelerate plans for the U.S.,” @Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said.
and still hires only part time people at 20ish hours a week with no benefits
(01-11-2018, 12:13 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]and still hires only part time people at 20ish hours a week with no benefits

This is a bit of a fallacy. Here in Pensacola I know a store manager at Wal Mart. They have a lot of employees getting 40 hrs a week with benefits.
Every large corporation has a section of part-time employees including young people and old people who are collecting social security (and thus a required to only work part time)

If Wal-Mart store greeter or cart wrangler is your career path you don't deserve to make 30, 40, or 50 thousand a year.
11 an hr is a solid pay.
(01-11-2018, 12:13 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]and still hires only part time people at 20ish hours a week with no benefits

WalMart has part time employees? You don't say. I would be shocked to hear McDonales has part time employees too. Full time employment is there for people seeking it.
(01-11-2018, 12:18 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

This is a bit of a fallacy. Here in Pensacola I know a store manager at Wal Mart. They have a lot of employees getting 40 hrs a week with benefits.
Every large corporation has a section of part-time employees including young people and old people who are collecting social security (and thus a required to only work part time)

If Wal-Mart store greeter or cart wrangler is your career path you don't deserve to make 30, 40, or 50 thousand a year.
11 an hr is a solid pay.

welp not here...here they hire only part time if they need a full time employee they bring one of the part timers up to full time and replace with part time...Out of all of the employees at the walmart my step son works at 10 (excluding store managers/asst mgrs) are full time, the rest are part time...He has been there over 2 years waiting to get full time....During the holidays everyone gets more hours, but normal operating hours the part timers dont get to work more than 26 hours
(01-11-2018, 12:23 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

WalMart has part time employees? You don't say. I would be shocked to hear McDonales has part time employees too. Full time employment is there for people seeking it.

where I live there is very little industry anymore...There are about a handful of factory type jobs here that hire nothing but full time and pay over $10, the rest is pretty much retail and fast food, with some construction mixed in...It's a pretty small community which once boasted a bunch of factory jobs but most have all closed...The median income here is right around $27K If you make $10 or more an hour it's considered to be doing well
(01-11-2018, 12:26 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2018, 12:18 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]This is a bit of a fallacy. Here in Pensacola I know a store manager at Wal Mart. They have a lot of employees getting 40 hrs a week with benefits.

11 an hr is a solid pay.

welp not here...here they hire only part time if they need a full time employee they bring one of the part timers up to full time and replace with part time...Out of all of the employees at the walmart my step son works at 10 (excluding store managers/asst mgrs) are full time, the rest are part time...He has been there over 2 years waiting to get full time....During the holidays everyone gets more hours, but normal operating hours the part timers dont get to work more than 26 hours
welcome to retail
They are also giving employees with at last 20 years of service a $1000 bonus.

$11 an hour is a $2 an hour increase. Target has done the same thing late last year and has plans on increasing it further in the next 2 years.

Walmart will also be increasing their parental and maternity leave benefits and they will be offering full time and salaried employees a $5000 benefit towards adoption expenses. That is $5000 per child.

This is a positive for the economy any way that you look at it.
(01-11-2018, 01:55 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: [ -> ]They are also giving employees with at last 20 years of service a $1000 bonus.

$11 an hour is a $2 an hour increase.  Target has done the same thing late last year and has plans on increasing it further in the next 2 years.

Walmart will also be increasing their parental and maternity leave benefits and they will be offering full time and salaried employees a $5000 benefit towards adoption expenses.  That is $5000 per child.

all the above is true, for full time employees but not part time employees which they have many more of...benefits for part timers have been cut to nearly nothing...their 401k has been replaced with stock options...I dont remember what the rest of the part timers benefits have been cut to but it's nearly nothing...It's just the nature of the beast

(01-11-2018, 01:44 PM)majik Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2018, 12:26 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]welp not here...here they hire only part time if they need a full time employee they bring one of the part timers up to full time and replace with part time...Out of all of the employees at the walmart my step son works at 10 (excluding store managers/asst mgrs) are full time, the rest are part time...He has been there over 2 years waiting to get full time....During the holidays everyone gets more hours, but normal operating hours the part timers dont get to work more than 26 hours
welcome to retail

yup and thats exactly why I dont work retail, but the majority of people who live here have no choice unless they can get on to the few good jobs around here...
(01-11-2018, 02:12 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2018, 01:55 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: [ -> ]They are also giving employees with at last 20 years of service a $1000 bonus.

$11 an hour is a $2 an hour increase.  Target has done the same thing late last year and has plans on increasing it further in the next 2 years.

Walmart will also be increasing their parental and maternity leave benefits and they will be offering full time and salaried employees a $5000 benefit towards adoption expenses.  That is $5000 per child.

all the above is true, for full time employees but not part time employees which they have many more of...benefits for part timers have been cut to nearly nothing...their 401k has been replaced with stock options...I dont remember what the rest of the part timers benefits have been cut to but it's nearly nothing...It's just the nature of the beast

(01-11-2018, 01:44 PM)majik Wrote: [ -> ]welcome to retail

yup and thats exactly why I dont work retail, but the majority of people who live here have no choice unless they can get on to the few good jobs around here...

Out of pure curiosity, are you in a more democrat or republican dominant area?

It's hard for me to speak on the part time vs full time concerns with Walmart because I'm not a part of that and I don't know anyone personally that is.
(01-11-2018, 02:33 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2018, 02:12 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]all the above is true, for full time employees but not part time employees which they have many more of...benefits for part timers have been cut to nearly nothing...their 401k has been replaced with stock options...I dont remember what the rest of the part timers benefits have been cut to but it's nearly nothing...It's just the nature of the beast

Out of pure curiosity, are you in a more democrat or republican dominant area?

It's hard for me to speak on the part time vs full time concerns with Walmart because I'm not a part of that and I don't know anyone personally that is.
Im not sworn to either party, I like to pick a candidate by his/her views on things, but I don't recall ever voting Democrat...We in this area are more Republican than anything, but I am not originally from here either...I have lived in like 6 other states including North florida, originally from Idaho which is always been Republican
Wal-Mart's thank you to Trump for not impacting all of their Asian imports.
I thought minimum wage rises were bad as it makes prices go up and these arent proper jobs?

Thats what you lot say about fast food workers. Supermarket workers hardly any more skilled.
(01-11-2018, 04:45 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]I thought minimum wage rises were bad as it makes prices go up and these arent proper jobs?

Thats what you lot say about fast food workers. Supermarket workers hardly any more skilled.

The part you are missing is these corporations are paying 14% less in taxes, so raises are not affecting their bottom line like they would if minimum wage increases were mandated by the government/state.
(01-11-2018, 04:45 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]I thought minimum wage rises were bad as it makes prices go up and these arent proper jobs?

There's nothing wrong with any company choosing to raise wages.  That is their right, and a function of the free market. 

What I object to is mandating an increase in the minimum wage.  I believe in the free market.  Any law that mandates an increase in the minimum wage is a job killer.  Companies simply automate, or eliminate jobs that are not worth the increased minimum wage.
Great! Now all the prices on their merchandise will go up.  Undecided

(01-11-2018, 04:53 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

The part you are missing is these corporations are paying 14% less in taxes, so raises are not affecting their bottom line like they would if minimum wage increases were mandated by the government/state.

Please! It doesn't matter if they are paying less in taxes. They'll still see this as an opportunity to raise prices and make even more profit. That is reality.
(01-11-2018, 10:51 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]“Tax reform gives us the opportunity to be more competitive profitable globally and to accelerate plans for crushing the few remaining competing retailers left in the U.S.,” @Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said.

I found the unedited version.
Wal Mart stock options sounds much better to me than some of limited selection 401ks various companies I have worked at offered.
(01-11-2018, 05:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Great! Now all the prices on their merchandise will go up.  Undecided

(01-11-2018, 04:53 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]The part you are missing is these corporations are paying 14% less in taxes, so raises are not affecting their bottom line like they would if minimum wage increases were mandated by the government/state.

Please! It doesn't matter if they are paying less in taxes. They'll still see this as an opportunity to raise prices and make even more profit. That is reality.

Wanna show us on the doll where the mean old corporation touched you?
Pages: 1 2