Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 76ers Refuse To Let Singer Perform Anthem Due to "We Matter" Shirt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17897...ter-jersey

Sorry if link doesn't work since I'm on my phone but it's on Espn.

Cliff notes:

76ers hired young African American girl to sing anthem. She showed up in a jersey that read "We Matter". 76ers told her sorry you're not performing and had a member of their dance team sing it instead.

Thoughts?
Think it is great. This is one of the many reasons the NBA is awesome.

Adam Silver (NBA Commissioner) was on Mike & Mike the other day and stated that he addressed the National Anthem with all of the players & coaches.  He informed the players that there were several different ways to help the community without taking actions during the National Anthem that fans consider to be disrespectful.  He stated that the NBA and sports in general have been very good to the black athletes so they need to foster their opinions in a positive manner.

Dang that dancer is a triple threat
From a logistical standpoint, it is a lot easier to "manage" 360 players than 1664 players, but Silver is still correct.

i still cant watch NBA and enjoy it

Quote:i still cant watch NBA and enjoy it

To each their own I suppose. I can't watch baseball or hockey and enjoy it. 
Quote:To each their own I suppose. I can't watch baseball or hockey and enjoy it.

Me either!! Throw soccer in that mix too.
i like baseball cause its fun to gamble on

I believe that they offered her the ability to change the shirt and she refused.
Quote:Me either!! Throw soccer in that mix too.

Well, yeah. I figured it was just assumed that soccer is terrible to watch, lol.

It's cool for 6 year olds to play though!
list of sports interests:  MMA, NFL, NCAAF, MLB, NASCAR, SURFING

Quote:Well, yeah. I figured it was just assumed that soccer is terrible to watch, lol.

It's cool for 6 year olds to play though!

My son is half Spaniard...apparently it's big over there. Lol
NFL, NBA, and the Premier League (soccer) for me.   I do admit that I'm now struggling to watch a single NBA game in its entirety.

MLB is so boring !!   4 hours now sometimes to complete a 9-inning game -- terrible

NHL lost me 2 years ago.  I tried to watch my hometown Pens in the Stanley Cup Finals last year but I was kind of bored.
Quote:My son is half Spaniard...apparently it's big over there. Lol

Thats cool. Not judging or anything. Heck, I look forward to watching golf and there is certainly no protesting going on there, so all is good, lol.
baseball is just pure. it doesn't rely as heavily on officiating whereas NFL and NBA it's literally every play or drive to the basket where a foul is called

Quote:Thats cool. Not judging or anything. Heck, I look forward to watching golf and there is certainly no protesting going on there, so all is good, lol.

I've tried to watch soccer with him...just can't do it!
Quote:I've tried to watch soccer with him...just can't do it!

put 50$ on one team or another. that will spice things up.
Quote:I've tried to watch soccer with him...just can't do it!

Everybody is passionate about the sports they love and that is the beauty of it, but trying to shove a sport down somebody's throat is where it gets annoying.
Probably calling more attention to it now that they did this than if they would have let her sing.

p.s.- the NBA sucks. 85% of the teams have no shot at the Finals before the first game of the season is played.
Pages: 1 2