Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Clearing Up Misconceptions About Bills Fans and Doug Marrone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everyone.  This is my first time posting here and as you probably can tell by my username I am a Buffalo Bills fan.  Please know that I'm not here to troll or stir up any stuff.   Also, I am pulling for the Jags to beat New England this week.  I am sick of Patriot fans and journalists and a loss to Jacksonville will really set them off.  

I did want to clear up a few things about Doug Marrone and Bills fans that I think some members here are missing.  It's true that Bills fans don't like Doug Marrone.  You have to understand that while Doug coached here in 2013 and 2014, from many media reports  he was known as a grumpy, short-fused, control freak who at time belittled people publicly.   He was not very popular around One Bills Drive and he treated the media very bad.  You can witness for yourself - at several press conferences, Doug is condescending when answering to any criticism.  He even tried to set up a private meeting with Tim Graham after a negative article in an attempt to keep him in line.  For his poor relations with the media, he continues to be mocked by the Buffalo media - though no one doubts his abilities as a coach.  

As a coach, I think many fans viewed him as good to average.  His biggest knock was his game management - specifically preferring to punt in situations late in the game.  Doug was extremely conservative and you can argue some of his decisions cost the team some wins in 2014.  

Eventually it’s rumored that he fell out of favor with Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley.  This led to rumored friction between Marrone and Whaley including the “St. Doug” story which was deliberately leaked to the press to make Marrone look bad.  So it appeared he was not in a great situation.  So I think this was a big factor in him opting out. 

But IMO the biggest reason that he quit however was because he thought he had the Jets coaching job.  Marrone grew up on Long Island and that was his dream job.  He coached there early in career and had connections.  However that job eventually fell through, and he had to go back to being a position coach in Jacksonville.

You have to understand that the way Marrone left wasn’t the most professional.  Even Doug has admitted that he would have done things differently.  He never bothered to communicate to players until after the fact.  Most found out over text message.  Also rather than being open, he refuses to speak about what happened.  

Honestly, many fans were glad Doug quit and were excited about Rex Ryan (little did we know).  But the way he left, rub some the wrong way and of course the media’s treatment of him probably stirred things up a bit as well.  

In the end, it seemed like resigning was the best for all parties.  While it took a few years, Doug ended up in a situation way better than the Jets and is coaching in an AFC Championship game.  The Bills realized the terrible mistake with Rex and Doug Whaley and found a coach and GM that took them to the playoffs in year 1 of a rebuild.  

So in the end - I’m glad to know that Doug has learned from his first stint and found success.  But know why Bills fans feel the way they do about it.  

Good luck on Sunday and beat the Patriots!
He gave you guys your first winning season in ten years.

If he continued to be condescending to the media and continued to win and stayed, you guys would have no problem with him.

He left. You're ticked. We get it, and we thank you.
I don't think many of us care about that so much... I think most people's beef with Bills fans is more to do with them coming on here and trash talking.. then being far from graceful after a defeat..

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Sunday is huge for us all, I just hope the team can do the business on the field.
(01-18-2018, 10:48 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone.  This is my first time posting here and as you probably can tell by my username I am a Buffalo Bills fan.  Please know that I'm not here to troll or stir up any stuff.   Also, I am pulling for the Jags to beat New England this week.  I am sick of Patriot fans and journalists and a loss to Jacksonville will really set them off.  

I did want to clear up a few things about Doug Marrone and Bills fans that I think some members here are missing.  It's true that Bills fans don't like Doug Marrone.  You have to understand that while Doug coached here in 2013 and 2014, from many media reports  he was known as a grumpy, short-fused, control freak who at time belittled people publicly.   He was not very popular around One Bills Drive and he treated the media very bad.  You can witness for yourself - at several press conferences, Doug is condescending when answering to any criticism.  He even tried to set up a private meeting with Tim Graham after a negative article in an attempt to keep him in line.  For his poor relations with the media, he continues to be mocked by the Buffalo media - though no one doubts his abilities as a coach.  

As a coach, I think many fans viewed him as good to average.  His biggest knock was his game management - specifically preferring to punt in situations late in the game.  Doug was extremely conservative and you can argue some of his decisions cost the team some wins in 2014.  

Eventually it’s rumored that he fell out of favor with Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley.  This led to rumored friction between Marrone and Whaley including the “St. Doug” story which was deliberately leaked to the press to make Marrone look bad.  So it appeared he was not in a great situation.  So I think this was a big factor in him opting out. 

But IMO the biggest reason that he quit however was because he thought he had the Jets coaching job.  Marrone grew up on Long Island and that was his dream job.  He coached there early in career and had connections.  However that job eventually fell through, and he had to go back to being a position coach in Jacksonville.

You have to understand that the way Marrone left wasn’t the most professional.  Even Doug has admitted that he would have done things differently.  He never bothered to communicate to players until after the fact.  Most found out over text message.  Also rather than being open, he refuses to speak about what happened.  

Honestly, many fans were glad Doug quit and were excited about Rex Ryan (little did we know).  But the way he left, rub some the wrong way and of course the media’s treatment of him probably stirred things up a bit as well.  

In the end, it seemed like resigning was the best for all parties.  While it took a few years, Doug ended up in a situation way better than the Jets and is coaching in an AFC Championship game.  The Bills realized the terrible mistake with Rex and Doug Whaley and found a coach and GM that took them to the playoffs in year 1 of a rebuild.  

So in the end - I’m glad to know that Doug has learned from his first stint and found success.  But know why Bills fans feel the way they do about it.  

Interesting.  I never really knew why he chose to leave.
(01-18-2018, 10:58 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think many of us care about that so much... I think most people's beef with Bills fans is more to do with them coming on here and trash talking.. then being far from graceful after a defeat..

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Sunday is huge for us all, I just hope the team can do the business on the field.

Yeah I was not there but I can admit that there are some really dumb fans in the fan base.  It's typically the younger college-aged fan or the older 30-40 years who act like they are in college.   The whole broken table thing was funny but it gets pretty embarrassing when people characterize an entire fan base with those videos.  

There's one area where a lot of that stuff goes down (Hammer's Lot) but the rest of the parking lots are probably more typical with what you see at most NFL Stadiums that are big on tailgating.

(01-18-2018, 11:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2018, 10:48 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone.  This is my first time posting here and as you probably can tell by my username I am a Buffalo Bills fan.  Please know that I'm not here to troll or stir up any stuff.   Also, I am pulling for the Jags to beat New England this week.  I am sick of Patriot fans and journalists and a loss to Jacksonville will really set them off.  

Interesting.  I never really knew why he chose to leave.

Yep that's the thing.  No one really knows because Doug refuses to talk about it.  Like I said, I think he had issues with Doug Whaley (who also had issues with Rex Ryan and was fired) and thought he could jump to a better situation with the Jets.
The problem is not that you guys were mad he left, we get it, and I understand that part.

It's that YEARS later, Bills fans are still going on about "St Doug" and how much they don't like him. The bottom line is, you're mad he won and left. He came home with you after a night out, left before you woke up, and never texted back.
(01-18-2018, 11:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is not that you guys were mad he left, we get it, and I understand that part.

It's that YEARS later, Bills fans are still going on about "St Doug" and how much they don't like him. The bottom line is, you're mad he won and left. He came home with you after a night out, left before you woke up, and never texted back.

Sorry I think you're the one who wishes you had a night out with St. Doug

(01-18-2018, 10:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]He gave you guys your first winning season in ten years.

If he continued to be condescending to the media and continued to win and stayed, you guys would have no problem with him.

He left.  You're ticked.  We get it, and we thank you.

He also lost to a 2-12 Raiders that killed the Bills chances of ending the drought in 2014
(01-18-2018, 11:31 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2018, 11:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is not that you guys were mad he left, we get it, and I understand that part.

Sorry I think you're the one who wishes you had a night out with St. Doug

He's taking us to the AFC Championship Game. Sorry all he got you were some Duff's wings and a Genny Cream Ale
(01-18-2018, 11:35 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2018, 11:32 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]He's taking us to the AFC Championship Game. Sorry all he got you were some Duff's wings and a Genny Cream Ale

Confirmed.  Genny Cream Ale is better than the Marrone Cream Ale you dream about drinking

You come here trying to defend "misconceptions" of Marrone and the best you can come up with is gay jokes? I mean, typical for Buffalo though. Too many pregame folding table powerbombs.
That didn't take long.
(01-18-2018, 11:48 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]That didn't take long.

My bad.  I deleted the posts.  Should never have taken the bait
(01-18-2018, 11:54 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm all for having opposition fans coming to our board.. I welcome it..

Admittedly, we're getting more now that we're actually, you know.. good.. but it frustrates me that people join.. argue.. get banned.. Obviously you're not banned (yet). It seemed refreshing at the start that you came here to respectfully make a few points, then this thread all of a sudden had the potential to go sour as they 90% of the time do.. surely you can see how that gets tiresome for regular board users?
(01-18-2018, 11:54 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]

I didn't bait you. I used an example to show why Bills fans don't like Marrone. 

The fact the you took it so extreme just shows how salty you guys still are over him. 

This is the internet bud, find your big boy pants.
Not really - you were being a jerk no doubt. But like I said, I didn't have to respond.

Like I said, I understand. It was totally my fault. I just came here to talk football because I do think the Jags have a chance to win. Not to trash talk
(01-19-2018, 12:04 AM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Not really - you were being a jerk no doubt.  But like I said, I didn't have to respond.

My post was no more jerk-ish than what Bullseye said. 

But whatever man, I'm glad Marrone is here. The point I was making is that many, many Bills fans still can't get over him leaving and have to justify it by spewing bad things about him. And usually the problems with his actual coaching are far down the list and usually are only "he was too conservative". Which very well could have been true, but he still got you a winning season which is awesome for you. He definitely looks like he's learned a lot in that regard.
(01-19-2018, 12:04 AM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Not really - you were being a jerk no doubt.  But like I said, I didn't have to respond.

Like I said, I understand. It was totally my fault.  I just came here to talk football because I do think the Jags have a chance to win.  Not to trash talk

To be honest Marrone doesn't have to explain himself to anyone. Not to the Bills/fans, not to the Jags/fans, not to the media. He's said what he's going to say about it and has left it in the past where it belongs. 

He's not stupid. 

He knows what the media would do with anything he would say. They would twist it and write click bait "articles" that would do nothing other than distract him from his job (which right now is to coach the Jags to and through the SB), it would distract the team, and it would bring up a whole pile of stuff that just doesn't matter anymore

We have our own issues with a previous coach, there's still some raw feelings about Gus Bradley because only just left last season, but he's gone. No one here really expects him to explain his horrific coaching style or apologize for it, we're just glad he's gone. Y'all need to get over your hangups with Marrone and get on with life. 
the real reason he left is because there was a clause in his contract that even if he dropped down as the coach his still got full salary the following year. Why not? Its what ever idiot in the front office that agreed with that clause should get the real blame.

I don't doubt Bills fans when they say all this stuff. Almost every bills fans says the same including respected media members. 

The reality is Marrone has been the total opposite here in every single fashion. He's great with the media, pretty open in describing his thought process, made a huge effort to be friendly and light hearted with the media. As a coach he's been very very thorough, he's been one of the most aggressive coaches in the league on 4th down, and most of all, he's let the team be themselves. Jags have arguably the most individualistic team. Lots of strong and vibrant personalities all meaning as one.  

So yeah while the bills experience didn't work out, it arguably made him the HC he is today.

Honestly before he signed the Bills all described Marrone as this grumpy control freak who lashed out at everyone and seemed miserable as HC. Here it couldn't be any different. I didn't like the hire but my god he's been incredible in year 1. Coach of the year.
Until everyone hears it from the horse's mouth, it's purely speculation.

No ill will toward the OP, but frankly, he knows as much as we do about it. Until Marrone opens up about it, there is no answer.
Hmmm.....sorry for your loss there Buffalo.....but what you describe isn't the Coach Marrone we have.
Maybe he just didn't like it there.
and btw......most of the country are now Jags fans because they don't like the splats either.
Pages: 1 2 3