Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: One big contributor to the loss - Pass rush vanished in second half
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The pass rush vanished in the second half.  Brady sat back there comfortable on almost every throwing following the half.  Then he sits back there for a 3rd and 18?  The same thing happend against Pittsburgh last weekend.  The pass rush was strong in the first half and weak in the second half.  Just an observation the team kinda ran out of gas in the second half of these games.
I totally disagree.
The cheatriots made some holding penalties on our D Line and didn’t get flagged.
The refs killed our season.
(01-22-2018, 07:00 PM)Calmecac Wrote: [ -> ]I totally disagree.
The cheatriots made some holding penalties on our D Line and didn’t get flagged.

Agreed. I would say it is hard for Jackson to get free up the middle when he was in a full Nelson.

Not holding on every play.  The OP has a point.  You are playing Calais a lot of money and while he had a great year he was invisible in the 2nd half.  

I do agree that they ran out of gas.  Especially when we saw the offense fail to sustain a long drive.  Same thing happened to atlanta in the Super Bowl
(01-22-2018, 07:04 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]

Not holding on every play.  The OP has a point.  You are playing Calais a lot of money and while he had a great year he was invisible in the 2nd half.  

I do agree that they ran out of gas.  Especially when we saw the offense fail to sustain a long drive.  Same thing happened to atlanta in the Super Bowl

Calais got hurt the second series of the game.
On that 3ed and 18 yannick got pushed out of play with a outside illeagle hold not called.

Hard to rush 4 and succeed when they hold 3 of them.
On 3rd and 18 Gipson didn't break on the ball. He got too much depth.

We should have blitzed Jack up the A gap and forced a quick throw. That one is on the DC and the secondary. The pass rush was effective but Brady slides the pocket like a pro. Gipson also gave up the game winning TD.
(01-22-2018, 07:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 07:04 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Not holding on every play.  The OP has a point.  You are playing Calais a lot of money and while he had a great year he was invisible in the 2nd half.  

Calais got hurt the second series of the game.

Saw a teeet from Martineau I believe who said Yannick got hurt in pregame too.

Edit: found it:

[/url][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Brent Martineau

@BrentASJax
[url=https://mobile.twitter.com/BrentASJax]

[/font]

Officials, play calling, poor execution. Maybe. As last night sinks in, #Jaguars beat up New England physically for 50 minutes. Last 10 minutes they got beat up. Calais hurt, NGakoue hurt in pregame, Cam Robinson shoulder to name a few had to play role. Gipson step slower too.
12:38 PM · Jan 22, 2018
Pass rush disappeared? Right. More like non-called holding was taken to the extreme. Look up how many holding penalties have been called on the Pats in the playoffs since 2006. I’ll wait.

For the record, I’m not a blame-the-refs guy. I think we blew our chances to win the game and take the refs out of it. You know goin to NE on the road you won’t get calls, and you gotta win beyond ref interference to win at all. We didn’t get it done. But let’s not turn on our players and accuse them of something beyond their control.

And again, look up how many NE offensive holding calls in the playoffs since 2006. Wonder why it’s so hard to pressure Brady?
How many offensive holding calls were called on Jacksonville? I'll wait.Biggest penalty in the game was the delay of game penalty AFTER A TIME OUT, that negated a first down in field goal territory late in first half and gave ball back to Patriots. How many times does NE do that? I'll wait. Excuses are for losers. Your team is good. They likely will be for a while. It sucks to lose a big game like that. They played well. But excuses are for losers.
I think we need a true elite pass rusher,better play calling on defense when zone isn't working, fast TE/pass catcher,one more OG or OT and QB competition from being great. that's if Robinson resigns with us.
What is needed is quality depth at every position on the DLine so they can rotate more often and be fresher in the second half. That's why Philadelphia's DLine is so effective, they rotate in waves.
(01-22-2018, 11:44 PM)Aaron1988723 Wrote: [ -> ]I think we need a true elite pass rusher,better play calling on defense when zone isn't working, fast TE/pass catcher,one more OG or OT and QB competition from being great.  that's if Robinson resigns with us.

I'm more than satisfied with this position. Yannick keeps getting better and Fowler's excellent performance against New England should catapult him for the future. hey may not have a Reggie White, but any of their defensive linemen is capable of getting to the quarterback as evidenced by their finishing 2nd in sacks this season.
(01-22-2018, 11:40 PM)Darth Hoodie Wrote: [ -> ]How many offensive holding calls were called on Jacksonville? I'll wait.Biggest penalty in the game was the delay of game penalty AFTER A TIME OUT, that negated a first down in field goal territory late in first half and gave ball back to Patriots. How many times does NE do that? I'll wait. Excuses are for losers. Your team is good. They likely will be for a while. It sucks to lose a big game like that. They played well. But excuses are for losers.

And a question for you.  How many penalties total were called on your [BLEEP] team?

One.  One, on a [BLEEP] kick play.

I call [BLEEP].  How is that possible in the NFL?  Get your [BLEEP] out of here [BLEEP] and back to the bathroom with your Brady/Belicheck poster.
I think it was a combination of things: missed holding calls were a big factor, some our players a bit banged up/tired (Pittsburgh was a marathon game for the Dline especially) and a bit too much predictable pass rush.
I think we should have blitzed more. Blitzing often with Brady is a dangerous game but rushing just 4 on that 3rd and 18 was a killer, Brady had all the time he needed and together with that we were in zone and let Amendola (who with Gronk out was the obvious target on critical situations)chose his matchup.

A few plays later we sent Jack blitzing and it worked well right away. I think there were times (like that 3rd and 18) that we needed to be aggressive and instead we just sat back and paid for it.
(01-22-2018, 11:40 PM)Darth Hoodie Wrote: [ -> ]How many offensive holding calls were called on Jacksonville? I'll wait.Biggest penalty in the game was the delay of game penalty AFTER A TIME OUT, that negated a first down in field goal territory late in first half and gave ball back to Patriots. How many times does NE do that? I'll wait. Excuses are for losers. Your team is good. They likely will be for a while. It sucks to lose a big game like that. They played well. But excuses are for losers.

Hello lurker.  What you defending eh?  Seriously we all know you got to beat the man to be the man.  It is tough to win on the road.  It is tough to out play your team and it is made tougher by no calls and questionable calls.  There is no excuse for the helmet to helmet that was going to get called all day but when your receiver is hand checking with ours on a wing and a prayer throw that is clearly overthrown that is the center of the grumbling.

Rewatching some of the game, you can see our best pass rushers heads snapping back ward when they are trying to set the edge.  No hands to the face or holding?  Not likely but it is what it is.  I hate the Eagles but I hope they stomp the heck out of your team and embarrass them.

Jack came up gimpy as well on a play.  Football is a rough game.
(01-22-2018, 06:38 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]The pass rush vanished in the second half.  Brady sat back there comfortable on almost every throwing following the half.  Then he sits back there for a 3rd and 18?  The same thing happend against Pittsburgh last weekend.  The pass rush was strong in the first half and weak in the second half.  Just an observation the team kinda ran out of gas in the second half of these games.

Haaa, the holding just got stepped up. On THAT EXACT PLAY I have a screenshot of THREE jags D lineman getting held FROM BEHIND. Not one, not two, but THREE of them. I cma share if you'd like... It's completely absurd that there wasn't one holding penalty the entire game on them as I saw many times Jags players were basically tackled.
(01-23-2018, 10:37 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 06:38 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]The pass rush vanished in the second half.  Brady sat back there comfortable on almost every throwing following the half.  Then he sits back there for a 3rd and 18?  The same thing happend against Pittsburgh last weekend.  The pass rush was strong in the first half and weak in the second half.  Just an observation the team kinda ran out of gas in the second half of these games.

Haaa, the holding just got stepped up. On THAT EXACT PLAY I have a screenshot of THREE jags D lineman getting held FROM BEHIND. Not one, not two, but THREE of them. I cma share if you'd like... It's completely absurd that there wasn't one holding penalty the entire game on them as I saw many times Jags players were basically tackled.

come on the jags have a very good d line but the last 2 games they have not got pressure and looked gassed in the 4th both games... not a recipe for winning in crunch time.
NE knew they weren't going to get called for holding, so they just made it blatant in the 2nd half because that's the only way they were keeping our D-line off of Brady. And yeah, our D line was gassed at the end of the game because they spent the whole game trying to play while being held. Any d line in the league would be gassed from that.
That 3 and 18 was the worst call I have seen all season by this team. This is a text book where you bring a blitz since you have 2 best cover corners in the league and Todd Wash still plays that soft zone which almost cost us the game against Pitt. I just don't understand. We came out in 2nd half in fetal position and hoped that best QB / Coach that ever played don't out score us...
Pages: 1 2