Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bouye isn’t happy with the defensive play calls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]@Christopher Gasper

[/font]
That was Jacksonville CB A.J. Bouye's complaint after the game:  "We just started playing soft. We started calling more zone, and they just knew what we were going to run. We were running back-to-back the same calls. ... and they just had beaters for it."
That was said to a Boston reporter. Jalen made similar comments in his presser after the game. 

Sad thing is that they are just saying what we already know. I expected better from Wash.
I think its becoming clear we started to "play scared" against New England. I am still ticked about the officials, but we were beating them all game until late in the 4th, and it was clear we not playing for the win, just not to lose. If we stayed aggressive on defense, i dont see them scoring 24.
(01-22-2018, 08:55 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]I think its becoming clear we started to "play scared" against New England. I am still ticked about the officials, but we were beating them all game until late in the 4th, and it was clear we not playing for the win, just not to lose. If we stayed aggressive on defense, i dont see them scoring 24.

Were the refs throwing the game the Pats' way while you were beating them?  Or did they just rig it in the 4th, in order to help the Pats pull ahead?
This is a problem. Go have a meeting with your coach instead of throwing him under the bus. Just like you wouldn't want your coach to be like, "Hey I made the right call but my player just messed it all up."
They did that last year as well after losing (complaining about how they were being played).

I do think the zone kills us in a lot of games, not sure why it's run so much. We have the talent to go more man I think, but I'm sure there's other reasons for going zone.
They should say what's on their mind. I'm sure they've told Wash a million times they are better with man coverage. Wash just doesn't listen. That's how coaches are in the NFL. Think they know better. They'll run the same [BLEEP] over and over trying to prove something even when it's not remotely working because that's what he wants to do. Too much ego stuff. He needs to go too. Hackett as well. I'm over it. Inexcusable retardation in the 2nd half of that game.
I bet Gus Bradley would utilize this unit as a DC better than Wash.
I think against elite QB'S in this league you have to be able to play man as good as playing zone. You can't be one demanional and expect to be the best Defense in the league. you should have a counter for everything with the kind of players we have for defense. we were out coached on defense. on offense you can't really put the blame on them. our offense gave us a chance to win. we put up 20 points. defense wins championships and obviously they failed in that category. I m sorry. I don't blame the offense.
Yeah. Bouye is right. But he also got beat like a drum by Cooks ~4 times. Even the times he got beat in zone coverage he was playing his "zone" with way too much cushion.

I really hope that if these coordinators are still here in 2018 - Coughlin gives them a really big earful about playing soft conservative weak sauce with a tiny lead. This roster is capable of keeping it's foot on the gas, especially on defense. They didn't do that in new england and it was tough to watch.
Are our players not allowed to talk to the coaches behind the scenes? I find that hard to believe.
Wash should be called out on it.
Wash has a roster stacked with talent and no clue how to finish with it.
I agree about soft zone, we’ve done this a few times this season including against the Steelers, are pass rush and corner backs are good enough to more or less play man and blitz none stop, if we get torched on one play fair enough, but constantly giving up drives in zone is becoming a problem.
Marrone is a coaching coward. He lost me with this game. He had did this type of scared of your quarterback coaching a few times throughout the year but this time it bit us for our season. For one, you can’t start the season off doodoo’ing on your on quarterback by saying if it was up to you you would run on every play if you could. Way to set the tone for the season and get behind your most important player on your team. If you didn’t have confidence in him from the beginning then I’m pretty sure you could’ve found anybody better considering your trust in Bortles with that talk. But he didn’t and had that mindset the whole year.

So anyone that has a problem with Bouye or Ramsey calling out their coach should damn sure have a problem with Marrone then. If he comes out with this scared to win, taking knees with more than a minute left mentality next year, this isn’t gonna work. He sets the tone for both sides of the ball and that mentality to me was scared. The talent was just too much on this squad to be bad this year, and no coach couldn’t stop us from having a winning season. We were way better than our regular season record I believe. The coaching staff right along with the players have a lot of growing to do also and the main thing is to grow some balls.
(01-22-2018, 09:11 PM)Phil Swift Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 08:55 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]I think its becoming clear we started to "play scared" against New England. I am still ticked about the officials, but we were beating them all game until late in the 4th, and it was clear we not playing for the win, just not to lose. If we stayed aggressive on defense, i dont see them scoring 24.

Were the refs throwing the game the Pats' way while you were beating them?  Or did they just rig it in the 4th, in order to help the Pats pull ahead?

Considering there were no calls on them the entire game it appears they were consistent the entire game. With that being said, as a boxing fan I know you have to knock out the champ. You will not get decisions. Especially not at their home field.
Bouye wasn't really happy after the Pittsburgh game as well, he wasn't as outspoken as this time but between the lines he said they got too conservative in the second half and played lot of prevent that allowed them to get yards and points.

Wash has had this habit other times (the Arizona game when we sat back in soft coverage again at the end and Gabbert got the 25 yards he needed to get in FG range is another exemple), when we have a big lead we stop being aggressive.
Against Pittsburgh it was a glaring difference how we played defensively when up 14-21 points and when up only by 7.

I credit Wash for preparing this team well most of the time, the gameplan often worked and the players made lots of great plays the entire season. But he has to learn to keep being aggressive with the talent we have on defense, especially against elite QB's you can't just manage the lead.
I
It's more than hilarious to me that you guys are ready to fire coordinators on a team that was 4 points away from the Super Bowl.
So... if im getting this straight.. everyone is blaming the OC and the DC... and not the HC. GOT IT. Makes no sense. Marrone is the issue. Wake up.
(01-23-2018, 09:00 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: [ -> ]Bouye wasn't really happy after the Pittsburgh game as well, he wasn't as outspoken as this time but between the lines he said they got too conservative in the second half and played lot of prevent that allowed them to get yards and points.

Wash has had this habit other times (the Arizona game when we sat back in soft coverage again at the end and Gabbert got the 25 yards he needed to get in FG range is another exemple), when we have a big lead we stop being aggressive.
Against Pittsburgh it was a glaring difference how we played defensively when up 14-21 points and when up only by 7.

I credit Wash for preparing this team well most of the time, the gameplan often worked and the players made lots of great plays the entire season. But he has to learn to keep being aggressive with the talent we have on defense, especially against elite QB's you can't just manage the lead.
I

Then I dont know what the hell Bouye is talking about because he was right next to Antonio Brown more than once when the ball got there, he simply couldn't make the play and the result was a Steelers touchdown.  You can't blame that on prevent defense.

Same goes for the Leveon Bell catch, Telvin Smith was right there in MAN COVERAGE, but Bell simply made the play and Telvin couldn't knock the ball out.
About the only person I think needs a long look is Hackett. Just like Bortles he's great at times but the Run, Run Pass thing is infuriating to watch. It reminds me of the Terrible Jags we used to be at times. The play calling in the second half of this game was painfully predictable, we literally ran into a wall on first down for gains of 1 or -1 and then either ran it again or attempted a 20yrd pass. Wash gets a pass, the defense did their part. Marrone can't even be considered and people are just overly emotional right now. Remember we ran Coughlin out of our town and paid the price for years, lets not be so quick to do something like that again. What I like about Marrone is that he's self-reflective, if the other Coordinators are the same they'll be back and learn, if not I think it's time for them to go. The Front office has a better idea on where this staff is at, mentally, than we do. It's difficult to switch offensive systems though... especially if we're rolling with Bortles again next year so we'll get Hackett back if Bortles stays. Just hope they can learn the right lessons from this season because we're so close.
(01-23-2018, 03:08 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]So... if im getting this straight.. everyone is blaming the OC and the DC... and not the HC. GOT IT. Makes no sense. Marrone is the issue. Wake up.

You make yourself look insanely silly when you say things like this.

I'll take any issues if they manage to get us to this place.
Pages: 1 2 3