Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: biggest hole on this team?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
well after a great season we had and I really think we overachieved with what we had. none of us thought we were going to go this far in the playoffs or win the AFC south. We had a great year and we can build on it for next season.  what do you guys think is our weakness on this team besides QB and WR assuming WR Allen Robinson resigns. I still think we need a elite pass rusher, not sure if Dante Fowler is the guy. we need a guy who can easily wreck havoc for us like a JJ Watt kinda player.  I also think we could upgrade on offensive line to give more opening holes for fournette.
The biggest hole on the team is the lack of a pass catching TE, but the upgrade that could make the most impact is QB.
Aside from QB, it's TE and a road grading OG.
(01-22-2018, 11:53 PM)Aaron1988723 Wrote: [ -> ]well after a great season we had and I really think we overachieved with what we had. none of us thought we were going to go this far in the playoffs or win the AFC south. We had a great year and we can build on it for next season.  what do you guys think is our weakness on this team besides QB and WR assuming WR Allen Robinson resigns. I still think we need a elite pass rusher, not sure if Dante Fowler is the guy. we need a guy who can easily wreck havoc for us like a JJ Watt kinda player.  I also think we could upgrade on offensive line to give more opening holes for fournette.

I don't see a need on the DL. Barring injuries, pass rushers usually improve over time, and both Ngakoue and Fowler just finished their second year with clear improvement. JJ Watt was the defensive player of the year (twice?). Trying to find another DE like him is a pipe dream. Ngakoue isn't Watt, but he's very special in a different way with his forced fumbles.

TE is an obvious need. Even if Marcedes is back next year, he's getting near the end of his career.

RG is a need. Cann is a decent pass blocker and a poor run blocker, but he also can have bad games pass blocking. He was a liability in 2016, but did well this year for the most part. Of course the opponents were rarely defending the pass this year. Sunday, Bortles was sacked twice because Cann missed a block.

We may need to replace Poz.

Depth at CB is a critical need. In spite of Allen Robinson, overall the Jags were very lucky with injuries compared to most of the league.
I think OL is the biggest issue. the only person who is locked in is Linder. Robinson has been good for 1 holding and 1 false start a game, i know he's a rookie, but its already a really tiring shtick of his, hopefully he cleans it up in the offseason, but thats no reason not to bring in competition. they showed that they can make a really clean pocket for bortles to feel comftorable in, but if they want the identity of a run team, there needs to be some serious overhaul. Could also make the argument that we could use a better punter, Nortman has had plenty of wishy-washy games, but i think there are more important positions to attend to.
Run blocking up front.

QB that can make all the throws.

OC that will attack weaknesses relentlessly.

DC that will play aggressive from start to finish.
Interior OL.

A pass catching threat at TE. This one I think could come from a guy already here developing.

A new OC.

A new DC.

Coaching needs adjusted. That's the glaring hole we got from the AFCCG.
(01-23-2018, 01:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Run blocking up front.

Agree 100%
This off-season will be focused entirely on the offense that's for sure. Depending on whether or not we bring back Colvin may effect some things but not much. Offensive line will be a huge focus in the draft, they'll also probably bring in a TE. Lewis has had a bit if a revival this year but he's probably only good for a couple more. Poz will finish his career out here, and Given that he's in his twilight years will most likely sign a team friendly contract to stay on with his brothers to make a push for the Superbowl before calling it quits.
QB, they may bring in competition but I think Bortles played outstanding this post season and that alone warrants an extension. Whether or not it'll just be a one year option will be the interesting thing to watch. Given our other needs offensively, I'm not sure we draft a QB until very late in the draft, just a guy to bring into training camp.

We may pick up some depth defensive backs in the later rounds. What'll be interesting this off-season is to see what they do at WR, with Colvin's contract and what they do with Bortles' contract. All those things will heavily affect the free agency/draft.
Can’t believe you all are blaming coaching, did you just watch what happened this season? We’d be in the freakin super bowl if not for the refs. Just stop!
I don't see how anyone can say coaching is a weakness when we went from 3-13 to within a play or two of the Super Bowl. That's just crazy.

I think we have numerous spots that could be upgraded, but I would definitely focus on pass catching TE and offensive line.
As most said, we need a new offensive and defensive coordinator. As good as our D was this year i dont give much credit to Wash. We were so good because of the talent level, Wash had little to do with our success imo. A hungry and aggressive coordinator that mixes up schemes and runs more man and we could be scary. We need an offensive coordinator that will go fo the kill when we get up and not play so conservative like he did many times this year
(01-23-2018, 07:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]As most said, we need a new offensive and defensive coordinator.  As good as our D was this year i dont give much credit to Wash.  We were so good because of the talent level, Wash had little to do with our success imo.  A hungry and aggressive coordinator that mixes up schemes and we could be scary.  We need an offensive coordinator that will go fo the kill when we get up and not play so conservative like he did many times this year

So after going from 3-13 to the AFC Championship Game in one season you want to fire both coordinators.   That makes no sense at all.
After free-agency, the biggest hole will be at nickel after Colvin goes elsewhere. He played very well this year and opposing teams will pick on his replacement unless they find someone who can cover effectively. Patmon will be given a chance to win this position, although I expect them to also draft this position in the mid-rounds in April.

Tight end will definitely be addressed early in the draft. Fortunately, there are several good options at this position and most of them will be playing at the Senior Bowl. Finally, the offensive line needs to be a top priority. They were very inconsistent this year. Even in the Patriots game, they dominated in the first half, but were not effective in the critical 4th quarter. They can't take total responsibly for the disappearance of the run game in that last quarter, but this team was very hard to beat when Fournette and company had big holes to run through this season. I'd love to see them find a dominant run-blocker in the 1st or 2nd round.

I see very little need to address running back, wide-receiver, defensive line, cornerback, safety or linebacker EARLY in this draft.They can find depth for these positions late in the draft or with inexpensive free agents. I totally disagree with those who want a wide receiver early in the draft. Robinson, Cole and Westbrook will all be back. I'll take that threesome any day of the week and it is possible Hurns or Lee will be back.
(01-23-2018, 07:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2018, 07:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]As most said, we need a new offensive and defensive coordinator.  As good as our D was this year i dont give much credit to Wash.  We were so good because of the talent level, Wash had little to do with our success imo.  A hungry and aggressive coordinator that mixes up schemes and we could be scary.  We need an offensive coordinator that will go fo the kill when we get up and not play so conservative like he did many times this year

So after going from 3-13 to the AFC Championship Game in one season you want to fire both coordinators.   That makes no sense at all.
Yes, they had very little to do with our success imo and the reason we are not in the SB
When it comes to the Coordinators, my opinion is that Hackett got all he could from the talent limitations he had. Did I like some of his play calls? Absolutely not, but that happens with a lot of coaches. I'd like to see what he could do with a QB the team has total confidence in to expand the simplified playbook, a pass catching TE and an upgraded offensive interior. After that, the team could then make an assessment on his future. When it comes to Wash, I agree with a lot of people on here. Personally, I expected better performances from the defense, considering the immense talent level we have at almost every position. Would I fire him? Probably not, but I would make it known to him that I expect much better performances in 2018. We'll likely have at least one new starter at LB (replacing Poz), so maybe we can add a bit more athleticism there.
(01-23-2018, 01:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Run blocking up front.

Pretty much this.
OC I think he did a great job playing around some Bortles weaknesses but we'll have to keep being more aggressive and creative even with that.
And if the OC doesn't feel comfortable putting the ball in Qb's hands or throwing some routes it's obvious we need to look for another QB.

DC: spot on.
I think Wash prepared the team well most of the time but given the talent we have on defense it wasn't really an impossible task.
He has to learn to keep being aggressive and not sit back once we have a big lead, either he learns that or he has to go. I have to say that I'd be intrigued to see what a really creative and aggressive DC could do with this defense. (but of course we could have had a much worse coordinator as well).

I'd add a real pass catching TE, although if we have ARob back the offense will be huge for the passing game.
To the OP; your opinion on what we need defensively is hilarious. We need a JJ Watt type player to cause havoc? Hello DPOtY Calais Campbell. Elite pass rusher? Yannick. Not to mention Fowler and Malik had 8 sacks. What this team needs is an elite heck not even elite just a good pass catching Tight End and offensive line help. Our line is okay not great. If we had an elite guard to go with Linder we’d be set. This and linebacker depth and I still love this team
In my opinion we need to improve RG, safety, and get the receivers on point. The coordinators did a fine job. Calling for their heads is ignorant. Want to know what the perennial teams have that we haven’t? Continuity at the coordinator positions. Playing in the same system allows you to play free and add wringles from day one of camp. Evidence of this was seen on the field this year. Imagine an additional year or two.
RG is the biggest hole... Or lack there of.

Then TE

Then DB/LB depth

As for coordinators, I disagree to an extent. I think they're both more than capable, I think they just need to have a much more agressive attitude when playing with a lead. Hackett can call some great plays, he did it the first half at NE. Just need to stop getting so conservative on both sides when we're ahead. That's an attitude fix, not an ability issue
Pages: 1 2 3