Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cap Hell?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
***TL;DR DISCLAIMER***

***This is going to be a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG post, concerning the retention of players, depth, contract $ & cap space. It's a conversation about the long-term sustainability of this team. And if we're headed for "Cap Hell" like the 1999 team given our wealth of talent. if you're gonna tl;dr then this isn't the thread for you*** 

Blank #2.

Its pretty clear that this team has a window to make a real run at the damn thing in the coming years ... we also have a lot of questions that need to be answered that could drastically change the long term course of this franchise. I'm sure Jags02 might have more intimate knowledge of the issues I'm about to pose but I think its a real concern that if navigated properly will keep us contending for the next decade+ ... or Losing the wealth of talent we've accumulated and having to reload the roster Sad.

I know we have John Idzik who's a salary cap savant (just dont let him near personnel decisions & talent evaluation). But we also have Coughlin running the show again, which yielded dividends this past season, but by the same token the contracts doled out and aggressive moves put us in "Cap Hell" that caused that roster to be prematurely dismantled. Could we be facing the same situation here in 2018? If so what can be done to avoid it?

The situation: From various reports I'm seeing that we have somewhere between $18-26 million in cap space (varies by source, can anyone verify the exact figure?); and have the following questions for the coming 2018 year. 

Q: Free Agency - Should we get involved? I'm not saying we need to splurge like we did last year, but we may have to choose to load up for one big run short term, or sitting on the cap space to lock up our future talent when their contracts expire in the next few years past 2018. Does our success this year, attract some veterans who will come relatively cheap trying to hitch a ride to get a ring?

Q: Depth - we've spent a lot of money, but in reality... we got very very lucky with injuries this past year barring ARob. If we were to lose some of our big money guys... do we have the depth at key positions to keep rolling?

Q: THE QB -  Are we rolling with Blake Bortles next season? are we picking up his option for next season at 19 Million Fully Guaranteed? (is his option already factored into our current cap space? or would it eat up the majority of our remaining room, i'm not sure how that is reflected in our current cap figure) Do we sign him to an extension thats more palatable? Do we draft a QB? Do we try and sign a Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater, or AJ McCarron? will that be more or less expensive than Bortles? 

Q: WR -  Do we Franchise Tag ARob? Do we sign him to an extension? does he get a 1 year "prove it" deal coming off the injury? 
             Do we try and restructure Allen Hurns' 7 Million Cap Hit? Would he be amenable to a re-structure?
             Do we re-sign Lee? Given the inexpensive (and less injury prone) youth at the position in Cole, Westbrook, Mickens etc. is he even worth it?

Q: RB -  Ivory is gone and so is his sizable cap hit. Yeldon is entering the final year of his contract, and Corey Grant is about to become a RFA. Considering how often we run the ball alone, coupled with LF27 having chronic ankle injuries, depth at the RB position is paramount to the future success of this team. Do we work to bring back Grant/Yeldon and at what cost

Q: TE - Marcedes is nearing the end of his career. we have him for one more year at $3.5 million. O'Shaughnessy seems like a solid player and ST contributor for his cost. But it's clear this position is a weakness that will need to be addressed... either with $$$ or draft capital.

Q: NCB - Colvin is a free agent, has been an outside starter previously, and played over half our defensive snaps. Telvin has advocated resigning him and Poz as being "key to what we did on D last year ... we wont be the same defense without them". That said, idt Colvin has ever had an interception.. he only has a handful of PD's and while he seems to have tight coverage I feel like he lacks ball skills; and with QB's avoiding throwing Ramsey and Bouye's way I'm concerned that he'll continue to be a weakness at the Inside Corner spot that his blitzing doesnt make up for. The deeper question is if Colvin prices himself out of Duval, are Jalen Myrick & Tyler Patmon ready to step up and man the Nickel? If not how early a draft pick can you really spend on a CB who's celing on the depth chart will be #3 at best given the talent already there. This is the question that will have the most impact on the continued success of this defense going forward.

Q: LB - Poz is a Free Agent, he's a good run defender, EXCELLENT leader. I think a team friendly 1 year deal similar to what Marcedes has would make a lot of sense. Also I know the NFL is "what have you done for me lately" league, but after suffering with the fans through the bad years for so long, I think Poz has earned the right to stick around for the Crescendo of the rebuild although he may not be the full time guy at the spot.

Q: S - Gipson and Church both have roughly $7 million Cap hits ... they're also (for a myriad of reasons) the guys that get picked on the most in coverage. Could we save money and have similar production by rolling with A Jarrod Wilson (who played well in the Pitt playoff game). Or are they too key to our communication on D?

Q: DT - Malik Jackson, Marcell Dareus and Abry Jones are all on second contracts (while Malik and Marcell are $15 million and Abry's is palatable, this is noteworthy)... I doubt either wants to restructure. But thats a LOT of money tied up into one position that has scarce depth. I think waiving Sheldon Day in a numbers game to get healthy bodies at injury struck positions will come back to haunt us. I'm concerned with the lack of depth at this spot given the money invested in it. 

Q: Future Talent - What money will we have available to resign our "core guys". Most of the players I mention above are role players that just finished their contracts but the desire to keep the team that made this run together may sacrifice our ability to retain key players long term. Speaking of which, Jalen Ramsey will command a contract that makes him the highest paid CB (if not Defensive player) in NFL history. Myles Jack will get a contract more lucrative than Telvin (here or elsewhere; given his knee concerns i could see them trading him/letting him walk). Yannick will get paid, as will Fowler, I'm concerned as to our ability to pay both. Fournette and Cam Robinson will need contracts in 3-4 years and we may lose them by trying to retain players whose contracts are up sooner. Don't get me wrong, it's a good problem to have but im concerned this window we have will only be open for 3 years (without factoring in how well we draft etc.)

Again our cap situation is dubious, I'm not sure how we'll be able to navigate it. If Jags02 or another cap expert could weigh in i'd be very interested to see how our situation really shakes out. I have answers to the above question on what I think the Jags should hypothetically do; I'll post it after some inital debate! What do you guys think? Are we headed for Cap Hell? ... and who gets resigned?
Without reading all of it, I've had these thoughts too. Eventually you gotta pay everybody or cut some really good players.
We have roughly about 26 million with the current roster. That includes Blake’s 19 million cap hit. I would think we should not get involved in free agency. Once due to lack of high caliber players and two we have a healthy cap number but let’s not push it. Maybe some cheap free agents but that’s it. Nothing more than a few million in free agency. Our concern need to be resigning A rob and retaining cap for future contracts.

If we cut ivory that saves 4 million overall and cutting Hurns frees up 7 million so you just found 11 million right there. Restructuring Blake to an extension maybe 3 year 55 mill will keep him here but save us maybe another 2 million a year. This can put us around 40 million of cap space. We actually are in a healthy spot. Cutting Abry would net another 3.5 and cutting Jackson or Dareus would net us about another 10 but that would be in an extreme case. No need to do that. Keep the safeties on the team. Their fine.

Our main thing this year is A rob, extending Blake to a team friendly deal that I’m sure he would be willing to take, and focus on the draft. Free agency is extremely weak this year. We’ve done our damage the last two years.
Cap is in good shape for 2018. Foundation is under contract. Trim the fat and add young and cheap talent. There won't be any cuts that are not replaceable.
When you don't have to pay a QB 30 million or so, you really should be in good shape.

It's when you have to pay the QB a ton that the rest of your roster suffers.
Redo Dareus or cut him loose.

Colvin finally got a pick this season.

Bring back Poz.
Henne made $8m over the past 2 years and didn't complete a single pass.

There's $4m per year we could save
sry but im not cutting dareus at all.. dude came in and made an immediate impact, and played his butt off
(01-24-2018, 04:09 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]sry but im not cutting dareus at all.. dude came in and made an immediate impact, and played his butt off

Not to mention the dead money involved in such a move.
If you draft and coach well, you will never be in cap hell.
(01-24-2018, 02:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Henne made $8m over the past 2 years and didn't complete a single pass.

There's $4m per year we could save

That’s reasonable money for a vet backup. You’re gonna have to pay that for anyone with experience.  

This team isn’t anywhere near cap hell. Moves will be made to clear additional cap space.
Most of the contracts that the Jags have made have been front loaded, not back loaded. That was expressly done to avoid cap hell. This team has made team friendly deals and are nowhere near cap hell.
Wanna see Cap Hell look at the Eagles..might win a super bowl this year and end up having to dump half their roster.
A big part of FA IMO is signing up those guys who have 1 year left on their contract. Caldwell did a great job this past offseason/in season in signing 2 of the top 3 FA to be. They locked up Telvin and Linder to long term deals which allows them to use the tag on Arob if they want. Fowler and Bortles will be the big name Jags FA next offseason, so it'll be interesting to see if they work a long term deal with either.
Our cap health is actually really, really good. Unused cap as of now, is $17,441,446, 22nd best in the NFL. We also get a higher cap this year so that is helpful.

There are some guys who will be reworked or let go, to make room for AR and other younger players due for a contract this or next year.

My 4 I think are cut worthy are Ivory, Lewis, Malik and Hurns. They all have 2018 options, all worth about 37.485 Mil in cap with 9 mil being "dead cap" for 2018, still saving us ~28.5 million for 2018. Making our `18 cap space around 63 million if all 4 were cut.

RB - Ivory is in fact gone, that is some savings. I want to see us keep Yeldon, Grant and LF. Bo has been a good FB, that should be our 4 RBs.

TE - I expect Lewis to retire, come back for near vet minimum, or be cut if we go TE in the draft. We have a lot of TE's on the roster, lol.

WR - Hurns will need to be reworked (~4 mil/year) or he will be cut with the cheap, talented, and young WRs we have on the roster. We don't use WRs here like
conventional teams, he is not worth 7+ a year, unless we decide to open up the offense and retain AR15.

DEFENSE- I could see Malik Jackson being a cap casualty @ 15.5 mil a year this or next season. Jackson was phenomenal, I just think he has a high potential to be a cap casualty with the linemen we have. Dareus needs to be reworked too, he could be out in 2019 if he is unwilling to restructure to a lower salary. We need to address the D line and if we find an upgrade at Safety, you could look into reworking or dealing someone back there(Looking at Gip mostly). LB depth is a major concern, I would look hard in FA/Draft for guys who can step in if oe of our starting 3 get hurt, Poz is getting old too, he is a concern.

QB -Blake is getting a new contract, he is not playing for 19 mil, but he will be our starter and get close to that in a new deal. He will get a 4 year, 70 million type deal and they will front load him a bit, guarantee ~half of the 1st 2 years at 18 a piece. That is what I would do anyways, that way if he sucks next year, you are only on the hook for 2 seasons and you can draft his replacement this or next off season and phase him out in late 2018/2019. That is another million or so you save for other guys over 2 years. Every penny counts lol.

FA: No, don't need to get involved with top dollar guys. I think we should obviously inquire and see what we can get, but ultimately I think this team should be looking for really good rotational/role players for depth and special teams. Our special teams was suspect this year, I would find a punter to compete with Nortman too. If we can keep putting together good/great drafts, this team won't need FA but for role players/ vets looking to win a ring(yes I think we are going to sustain our winning ways for at least another 5-7 years) with a good team. The only exception I have is for a guy like Cousins, if Dave and Tom think he has "it" to win here, go get him. Otherwise, we are largely well off on defense.

Either way, we have room to "survive" Malik's contract. Darues has an option in 2019, we can make it to 2019 with him too. The fact is, we need one of our 3 10+ mil a year guys cut, reworked, or both by the time(again, 2019) for guys like Yannick, Fowler, and Jalen Ramsey come due. We need to focus on bringin in interior DL in the draft, to try and get something productive when the day comes when Campbell is older, and Malik and Dareus are too pricey. We are in really good shape heading into 2018 through 2019. After that, they will be tight against the cap with the young studs come up for new deal in the near future.

*had to fix my cap numbers, got pre season misinformation.
Right now, we are in pretty good shape. We just have to be wary from this point on about signing any new free agents to very large contracts. With the way this team is set up and seeing what we have right now, I don't see the need to go after any high priced free agents anyway. From here on, we should primarily use the draft to fill any major holes and use free agency to add depth. Our window of opportunity should be open for the next 2-3 years without any major cap implications and if we draft well, we can extend that time as long as we want.
absolutely do NOT cut malik... seriously?

not 1 single defensive starter should be cut.. we have the 3rd most cap in the league, and we have plenty of guys we can cut and save money who do not have anywhere close to the impact malik has.... Ivory, hurns, lewis, though I would prefer to restructure and let him retire here.

Some times you guys get to cute with this salary cutting thing... Jackson and Dareus need to be here, as to all the rest of this defense.. sans colvin who if he signs a big deal elsewhere we can afford to let him go

no one else on the D should go anywhere
Where are people getting their info saying we have the third most cap space coming from? We have the third most rollover cap, but as the two sources below say we also have the most money committed to our current roster too and we're around 20th in cap room when combined.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

ESPNs FA predictor posted this morning had us as the 2nd least likely to spend too.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars
2018 cap commitments: $188.4 million
No team has more money tied up in the cap already than Jacksonville.
even still.. we dont have FA needs now, we can address the rest of our holes in the draft... I'm still not cutting any defensive starter
Sure, I'm not saying we are in cap hell by any means. Between the rollover and cap rising and some cuts we could afford Cousins + tagging Arob no problem, just pointing out that we aren't in the shape where we can just throw max money at everyone every year and be perfectly fine like we used to.
Pages: 1 2