Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Allen Robinson: 'Main focus' is recovery, not contract
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Allen Robinson: 'Main focus' is recovery, not contract

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...t-contract

With Allen Robinson's contract expiring when the new league year begins this March, what will the Jacksonville Jaguars be willing to offer the wideout who's coming off a serious knee injury.
Unfortunately for the Jag's cap, he is going to be expensive to keep in any realistic scenario. Davante Adams and Alshon Jeffery recently signed deals at $13-14.5m per year. The franchise tag is projected to be about $16m per year. If ARob hits free agency, I do believe there would be a team that would take the knee recovery risk (ACLs aren't the curse that they used to be) and give him a Brinks truckload.
(01-29-2018, 09:45 AM)Jaxson Wrote: [ -> ]Allen Robinson: 'Main focus' is recovery, not contract

With Allen Robinson's contract expiring when the new league year begins this March, what will the Jacksonville Jaguars be willing to offer the wideout who's coming off a serious knee injury.

I'd only offer a modest, 1 year prove it deal. Shew he's at least better than how he performed in 2016. I wouldn't expect him to return to his 2015 form so soon after the injury, but he'd at least have to be better than 2016 ARob. We don't need that.
(01-29-2018, 10:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 09:45 AM)Jaxson Wrote: [ -> ]Allen Robinson: 'Main focus' is recovery, not contract

I'd only offer a modest, 1 year prove it deal. Shew he's at least better than how he performed in 2016. I wouldn't expect him to return to his 2015 form so soon after the injury, but he'd at least have to be better than 2016 ARob. We don't need that.

If we do that, we'll lose him for sure, because he's a free agent.  So what you're really saying is, you are willing to let him walk.
(01-29-2018, 10:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 10:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I'd only offer a modest, 1 year prove it deal. Shew he's at least better than how he performed in 2016. I wouldn't expect him to return to his 2015 form so soon after the injury, but he'd at least have to be better than 2016 ARob. We don't need that.

If we do that, we'll lose him for sure, because he's a free agent.  So what you're really saying is, you are willing to let him walk.
He's been saying that for quite some time now.

I am not letting him walk no matter what. Sign ARob and sign Cousins. Draft Andrews. You would see the offense take the next step.
(01-29-2018, 10:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 10:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I'd only offer a modest, 1 year prove it deal. Shew he's at least better than how he performed in 2016. I wouldn't expect him to return to his 2015 form so soon after the injury, but he'd at least have to be better than 2016 ARob. We don't need that.

Yep. I'm not gonna get myself tied to a player I'm not confident in. I will address the need for a big WR in the draft, but I wanna keep our defense together as long as possible and to do that, we have to be smart with our free agent spending from here on out.
Alex Smith or Cousins can re-create Robinson's productivity with a lower level, cheaper guy. I'd let him move on.
(01-29-2018, 10:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 10:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]If we do that, we'll lose him for sure, because he's a free agent.  So what you're really saying is, you are willing to let him walk.
He's been saying that for quite some time now.

I am not letting him walk no matter what. Sign ARob and sign Cousins. Draft Andrews. You would see the offense take the next step.

And we start letting all the defensive guy go in the near future, because we can't afford to keep them under the salary cap. Smart move.
We went most of the year w/o A-Rob and made it to the Championship, let him go, save the cap money and develop the promising receivers we have already
(01-29-2018, 10:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 10:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]He's been saying that for quite some time now.

And we start letting all the defensive guy go in the near future, because we can't afford to keep them under the salary cap. Smart move.
The cap will not be an issue. It just won't. Ramsey, Yannick and Jack will all get paid.
(01-29-2018, 11:00 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 10:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]And we start letting all the defensive guy go in the near future, because we can't afford to keep them under the salary cap. Smart move.
The cap will not be an issue. It just won't. Ramsey, Yannick and Jack will all get paid.

Because we will be magically exempt from the cap? Sooner or later, we'd have to "pay the piper."
(01-29-2018, 10:47 AM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]We went most of the year w/o A-Rob and made it to the Championship, let him go, save the cap money and develop the promising receivers we have already
Pats should have let Gronk walk last season then I guess. They won the SB without him and they don't need him.

This offense needed ARob this season. They needed a reliable guy week in and week out. Cole and Westbrook are nice complimentary pieces but I don't think either one is "the guy." I don't think they can beat double teams and most teams wouldn't double them anyway because you don't have to. I think Westbrook will be much improved next year and he reminds me of John Brown from the Cards. But John Brown needed Larry Fitz.

With ARob and Cousins, defenses would HAVE to focus on the pass which opens up more running lanes for Fournette. Do we really think teams would worry about the pass if we rolled into next year with Blake and Cole as the #1?

(01-29-2018, 11:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 11:00 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]The cap will not be an issue. It just won't. Ramsey, Yannick and Jack will all get paid.

Because we will be magically exempt from the cap? Sooner or later, we'd have to "pay the piper."
Russ Wilson, Baldwin, Bennett, Wagner, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor..... It can be done.
If the team loses Robinson and Lee, I wouldn't mind the Jags going after Donte Moncrief, heading into free agency with 2 mediocre and injury-plaqued seasons. I think he'll be affordable, and a fresh start would be good for him. Moncrief is incredibly athletic. Just a thought....
(01-29-2018, 11:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 10:47 AM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]We went most of the year w/o A-Rob and made it to the Championship, let him go, save the cap money and develop the promising receivers we have already
Pats should have let Gronk walk last season then I guess. They won the SB without him and they don't need him.

This offense needed ARob this season. They needed a reliable guy week in and week out. Cole and Westbrook are nice complimentary pieces but I don't think either one is "the guy." I don't think they can beat double teams and most teams wouldn't double them anyway because you don't have to. I think Westbrook will be much improved next year and he reminds me of John Brown from the Cards. But John Brown needed Larry Fitz.

With ARob and Cousins, defenses would HAVE to focus on the pass which opens up more running lanes for Fournette. Do we really think teams would worry about the pass if we rolled into next year with Blake and Cole as the #1?

(01-29-2018, 11:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Because we will be magically exempt from the cap? Sooner or later, we'd have to "pay the piper."
Russ Wilson, Baldwin, Bennett, Wagner, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor..... It can be done.

Wilson signed his contract in 2015. The QB salaries are going up and up. Baldwin has never been an elite WR and the rest of those guys are on the end of their current deals. Hit me up if the Seahawks can re-sign all of them in the current climate of player salaries. Thomas is actually talking about holding out for a bigger deal. Chancellor did hold out.
(01-29-2018, 10:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2018, 10:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]If we do that, we'll lose him for sure, because he's a free agent.  So what you're really saying is, you are willing to let him walk.

Yep. I'm not gonna get myself tied to a player I'm not confident in. I will address the need for a big WR in the draft, but I wanna keep our defense together as long as possible and to do that, we have to be smart with our free agent spending from here on out.

ACLs are not the career impacting injuries they used to be. If anything, that knee will come back stronger than before the injury.  

I’d be inclined to franchise him.  The tag would give the team time to work out a long term deal before the season starts.
(01-29-2018, 10:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

Prove what?  This year showed he's far and away the most dynamic receiver on the field.  Not only that, his training camp was said to be amazing and that was playing against Ramsey and Bouye for much of it.

He's proven his worth.  I'm not saying break the bank, but he deserves a decent contract.

The offense missed Robinson the entire year.  To say we did just fine without him is pretty shortsighted.
(01-29-2018, 11:25 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]

The offense missed Robinson the entire year.  To say we did just fine without him is pretty shortsighted.

I agree that we missed a true #1 WR this season.

I am a little worried that fans are getting a little too comfortable with the success we had and think it is going to repeat pretty easily.
(01-29-2018, 11:25 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]

You are entitled to your opinion and me mine. And it is not short sighted, it is looking at the big picture. We need to keep our defense intact as much as possible, our offense will always be junk as long as Bortles is the QB. Hell our running back doesn't even understand to put his hands out to catch a ball. I could care less about A-Rob. All those teams with super star receivers are doing what this next Sunday? That's right, watching the game on T.V. The Patriots prove year after year that you need functional receivers that are able to hold on to the ball. Save the money, get some line help on the offense and solidify our defense.
Great QB's can "create" an elite receiver.
Pages: 1 2