Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Backup QB - A Very Important Piece Of The Puzzle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Something that has not been discussed here is the backup QB spot. I don't know if this past season where both superbowl teams played with backup QBs, but it shows just how important the position is. The Jags have been eerily quiet about the backup position, but probably have a plan.

Who would you like to see backing up Blake? A FA? A drafted player? I really don't know which way they are leaning.

They had better have a good plan though. This year is proof positive that the backup QB position is a very, very important position.
(03-08-2018, 10:52 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]Something that has not been discussed here is the backup QB spot. I don't know if this past season where both superbowl teams played with backup QBs, but it shows just how important the position is. The Jags have been eerily quiet about the backup position, but probably have a plan.

Who would you like to see backing up Blake? A FA? A drafted player? I really don't know which way they are leaning.

They had better have a good plan though. This year is proof positive that the backup QB position is a very, very important position.

My first choice would have been Ryan Fitzpatrick, but he agreed to a contract with the Bucs.

Considering how durable Blake has been, a draft pick is not all that risky.
Have both superbowl teams played with backup QBs in any other season other than this past season? I really don't know, but I highly doubt it.
(03-08-2018, 10:57 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]Have both superbowl teams played with backup QBs in any other season other than this past season? I really don't know, but I highly doubt it.

I can't think of any offhand. 

And not this past season either; Tom Brady was not a backup QB.

EDIT: Nor would Bortles have been had the refs ... or the Jags OC ... or the Jags DC didn't conspire to throe the game to the Pats.
I mean nobody is going to want him, but Josh Mccown had a pretty good season last year. 67% , 2926 Yds, 18TD-9INT in 13 games with that atrocious offense. Was completely out of the norm for him and a career year at 38 y/o, but the Jags could do much worse (Henne or dare I say Gabbert) and get him for 1 yr on the deep discount.

I'd rather them draft one, but if they don't I wouldn't be upset with one year with McCown at backup.
The current rumor is that the Jags will be bringing in a vet QB capable of pushing Bortles or stepping in, just in case he struggles.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/03...qb-market/
Draft pick hopefully. FA not sure who but yeah time to upgrade henne.
I just don't see the upside with Teddy. He's spindly and fragile. Though fairly accurate, he doesn't have a great arm. I'd rather have Keenum. But, he'll be starting somewhere, most likely.

Also, if Mason Rudolph somehow slides to the 2nd round, I'd like to see us trade up to get him. Or, I wouldn't be opposed to picking him in the 1st. My only question about him is if he's too similar to Blake? Is he a more natural, accurate passer?
I think they sign a cheap vet AND draft a backup type.

Firm believer than the more you have guys fighting for positions (even if it's just depth) the more you raise the standard throughout the offseason/season.
(03-08-2018, 11:59 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't see the upside with Teddy.  He's spindly and fragile.  Though fairly accurate, he doesn't have a great arm.  I'd rather have Keenum.  But, he'll be starting somewhere, most likely.

Also, if Mason Rudolph somehow slides to the 2nd round, I'd like to see us trade up to get him.  Or, I wouldn't be opposed to picking him in the 1st.  My only question about him is if he's too similar to Blake?  Is he a more natural, accurate passer?

Mayock said at combine Rudolph is best deep passer in draft.
I wouldn't be mad 1 bit if they took Rudolph
Teddy or Rudolph/LJax would be cool. Falk or Litton or Lauletta are palatable as well
(03-08-2018, 11:07 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]I mean nobody is going to want him, but Josh Mccown had a pretty good season last year. 67% , 2926 Yds, 18TD-9INT in 13 games with that atrocious offense. Was completely out of the norm for him and a career year at 38 y/o, but the Jags could do much worse (Henne or dare I say Gabbert) and get him for 1 yr on the deep discount.

I'd rather them draft one, but if they don't I wouldn't be upset with one year with McCown at backup.

He has actually had a couple decent years as he got older. Funny how we had the wrong McCown. I would be happy to see Josh as a backup here.
(03-08-2018, 11:57 PM)nhiverson Wrote: [ -> ]Draft pick hopefully. FA not sure who but yeah time to upgrade henne.

It was time to replace Henne two years ago.

They talked to Litton in the draft who I can envision as their 4th round pick. The question they need to ask is if two years is enough time for him to develop into a starter.  The other question is... If you take Litton do you make him the #2 immediately or still go after a vet and keep three QBs? We may not want to risk him seeing significant time as a rookie.

Falk is another guy who I like considerably more than Litton... his only real red flag is his arm strength as it's not among the strongest, but it's strong enough for the NFL having drawn comparisons to several starters in the league.  With Falk you wouldn't need a vet backup this year although you'd have to take him round three.
Matt Moore? Mike Glennon? Brock Osweilor? Don't like any of them but that's kind of what I expect us to bring in. Maybe Bradford? Definitely think we will take a QB in the fourth
Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson or Teddy Bridgewater would be nice
I didn't want to use a pick on a QB so my intriguing choice is Bridgewater but I'm assuming he wants more $$ than a backup on a prove it contract
Backup qb is of no concern. Blake never gets hurt and plays hurt because he doesn't want to lose his job.
Other than Cousins and Brees and possibly Chase Daniels, I don't see a FA QB that would be any threat to Bortles. Other than the two premier guys, (Cousins and Brees), this is a really weak FA class. A bunch of has beens, one year wonders, injury proned passers and guys who just never panned out.
(03-09-2018, 10:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Other than Cousins and Brees and possibly Chase Daniels, I don't see a FA QB that would be any threat to Bortles. Other than the two premier guys, (Cousins and Brees), this is a really weak FA class. A bunch of has beens, one year wonders, injury proned passers and guys who just never panned out.

Chase Daniel a threat to Bortles?  A 31 year old QB who has never been anything but a back up?  2 starts in 8 years, 78 total passes in his career and an 81 QB rating - I don't think I'd have any confidence at all if he had to play any meaningful snaps.  I'd rather have McCown or a rookie (Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson) then Chase Daniel.  

fyi - I can't see us paying Teddy Bridgewater the $$ he's going to get after we extended Bortles....
Pages: 1 2 3