Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2 TE sets to become the jags offensive focal point?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was listening to Jaguars live on the home page and Brian Sexton and Johnny O were mentioning the reason behind letting ARob walk was because of the shift in our offensive identity. They stated that because we want to be a run first team the team may be looking at moving to more 2 TE sets as the main point in our offense similar to what the patriots did with Gronk and Hernandez. The more I think about it the more it somewhat makes sense.

Bringing in a guy like Burton then drafting another guy like Goedert, Gesicki, Hurst, Andrews etc would give you some serious seam stretching firepower if you can get them on the field at the same time. You could still run the ball, albeit in theory more effectively, as you won’t tip the play as easy as you do in our current line up. While I still would like to have ARob back, if this is what the team has in mind, I get it.
Since we would be run heavy we proly will run more 2 and 3 te sets which would put less emphasis on the wideout position. A talent like Arob would thrive in that but his importance wouldn’t be high as they may feel they can find more speed threats to be the 1 wideout on the feild.

Looking at the pats, they come out in a lot of run formations (2te, 3te sets) but throw out of them. This allows gronk to be on a slow linebacker he can abuse. They were absolutely nasty with Hernandez. If you try and go nickle to cover them then they just run the ball down your throat and kill you with screens. Then with cooks on the outside they automatically take a man out the box because of his down feild speed. Edelman and amandola are the hands guys and they just feed them and gronk all game with the occasional screen and stretch play to keep you off balance. It’s a good strategy.
Makes sense. You have a strong running game. You add some versatility on the ends with a twin TE set-up. Now you've got a QB like Bortles who can make some time with his feet and that allows our speedy receivers like Cole and Westbrook to get behind the secondary. It can work. I think Robinson's asking price is what's really keeping him from coming back here. This front office simply refuses to overpay guys they think they can win without. Which with Robinson it's factual. The team did a lot without him. And the receiving core was top heavy with rookies.
2 TEs with Trips is one of the hardest personnel/formations to defend. So yes, going 2 TEs is a good thing.
We already led the league in 12 and 22 personnel last year so I have no doubt we'll run the same box clogging offense.

Will we actually feature a pass catching TE is a different question. If we do it would pretty much be the first time in team history so color me skeptical.
Marrone praised ARob the entire camp last year and again after the injury, I'm sure he'd love to have him back.
I don't think scheme has much to do with ARob being back or not, I think there's just too much difference money-wise between the team and him.

Like Coughlin said yesterday about ARob "We are battling out there everyday but it still takes 2 to tango. Still work to do".

Simply put I think ARob and his agent already know approximately how much some teams are going to put on the plate for him in FA (right...no tampering, lol) and there's just too much difference with our offer at the moment.
Call me crazy but I'd like to see them draw up more runs for Blake
I think they will simply find a replacement at X receiver. If that means drafting one, then they may have to make some adjustments in the short term as the kid develops, but I don’t think they’ll necessarily have some monumental shift in offensive personnel usage.
If we get Burton and pair him with Hurst. Good lord.
(03-09-2018, 07:13 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: [ -> ]If we get Burton and pair him with Hurst. Good lord.

...or Tyler Eifert and Goedert.
(03-09-2018, 08:22 PM)YJags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2018, 07:13 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: [ -> ]If we get Burton and pair him with Hurst. Good lord.

...or Tyler Eifert and Goedert.

Sign me up
Could lead to some deadly play actions
Yes I see play action beating monstrous with 27 toting the rock. This could really be more tailored to Blake’s skill set. More seam routes, ins and slants.

Olsen was on to something just a poor coach
(03-09-2018, 04:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Makes sense. You have a strong running game. You add some versatility on the ends with a twin TE set-up. Now you've got a QB like Bortles who can make some time with his feet and that allows our speedy receivers like Cole and Westbrook to get behind the secondary. It can work. I think Robinson's asking price is what's really keeping him from coming back here. This front office simply refuses to overpay guys they think they can win without. Which with Robinson it's factual. The team did a lot without him. And the receiving core was top heavy with rookies.

I don't think it is just his asking price though.  He has on multiple occasions questioned the fan base and the quarterback.  The kid has talent and I would love to see him come back but he has not endured himself to the organization which makes it easier pass if the price gets too high.
(03-09-2018, 04:45 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Will we actually feature a pass catching TE is a different question. If we do it would pretty much be the first time in team history so color me skeptical.

Remember that year that Kyle Brady went full-on dumptruck and caught 60-ish passes, bulldozed defensive backs, then never caught a pass again?
I just want to see if #27 can stay healthy for a whole season first. I don't want to put all of the Jaguar eggs into Fournette's basket.
(03-09-2018, 11:16 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2018, 04:45 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Will we actually feature a pass catching TE is a different question. If we do it would pretty much be the first time in team history so color me skeptical.

Remember that year that Kyle Brady went full-on dumptruck and caught 60-ish passes, bulldozed defensive backs, then never caught a pass again?

Yeah that outlier 2000 season for Brady is why I said pretty much be the first time instead of more definitely the first time. Even then 64 catches, 729 yards, and 3 TD can barely be called featuring a TE.
This has been the plan from the getgo with marrone and Hackett. That's what they did in Buffalo, that's what they did in Syracuse, etc...

I'd love to see a dangerous pass catching TE like mark Andrews play on this team. He would instantly give the offense another dimension.

Marcedes still brings some good skills to the table, but another vet TE would probably be preferred.
Hard pass on Eifert. That dude is going to be a FA bust.
Just thought I'd mention here that the Jags already run a very healthy amount of two-TE sets.
They just don't throw to the TE very often from them.

A legit receiving threat at TE could alter that obviously.
Pages: 1 2 3