Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Over Compensating Argument
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Are we horrific because our players are individually trying to make things happen?

Are the players over compensating or "over playing" because of bad coaching?

•ARob post game says he felt like he was "over playing" which IS a huge thing in any sort of performance activity.

•Rashad Greene, when fielding it from the 1 yard line was defended by Gus, who said he was just "trying to make a play"

•BB5 and coaches have said repeatedly that one of Blakes BIG issues is that he tries to make huge plays EVERY play. Then Blake usually states something like "I wish I knew what was the issue." Any good QB is efficient and knows when to take shots. However, I think Blake feels like it's solely his job to make the offensive spark. In London and at the beginning of Chicago, he was methodical, calm and collective.

• what was most sad after yesterday was a defeated (and almost sobbing), M.Lewis basically suggesting "I guess accountability? I really don't know"

I know this might not seem like a big issue to many of you, but I think it's a HUGE reason as to why we look so inept on Offense.

A good Football team is an organism, every thing required to make that organism run is predicated on each individual thing within that organism to be running efficiently and simply doing its job, NOT by overstepping its boundaries.

We are team(particularly our O), that is not abiding by the organism principle. Our Offense is becoming too individualistic. We try to make things out of nothing.
the issue is our coach, and the losing atmosphere that has been allowed to reside here for a decade now.... This idea of "oh we are rebuilding so it is ok to win 5 games over the course of 3 seasons" is an absolute lie and fallacy.

If you have a good coach, you can turn things around immediately.  I am not talking going from 3 wins to 12 in one season, but you absolutely can go from top 5 pick to 7 or 8 wins the next year with a REAL competent coaching staff.

The Jags FO has allowed this to happen themselves.  They let horrible, pathetic, over their head coaches and GM's come here and lie to them that they need 4 or 5 years to produce a winner.

THAT is the problem.  

Preparation and development (or lackof) is on coaching.  Whatever the coaches did to prepare the players is what shows up on the field.

Quote:the issue is our coach, and the losing atmosphere that has been allowed to reside here for a decade now.... This idea of "oh we are rebuilding so it is ok to win 5 games over the course of 3 seasons" is an absolute lie and fallacy.

If you have a good coach, you can turn things around immediately.  I am not talking going from 3 wins to 12 in one season, but you absolutely can go from top 5 pick to 7 or 8 wins the next year with a REAL competent coaching staff.

The Jags FO has allowed this to happen themselves.  They let horrible, pathetic, over their head coaches and GM's come here and lie to them that they need 4 or 5 years to produce a winner.

THAT is the problem.  

Exactly. While we're over here sopping up all this philosophical non-sense over the last four years. We've had to sit back and watch teams like the Redksins, Raiders, Vikings, Chiefs, Cardinals & now most recently the Eagles turn things around rather quickly. None of those coaches in Gruden, Del Rio, Zimmer, Reid, Arians & Pederson inherited perfect football teams by any means. They all had glaring holes and fundamental issues somewhere on their roster and they addressed it and got it going. Even before then with Seattle under Carroll. Carroll may have gotten lucky a few years earlier on playing in a then, weak NFC West. But at least his teams were capable of flirting with 7 - 9 all year. Under Bradley in four years this team has never completely finished a game or looked competent from start to finish over any two week period. And that speaks volumes.

Trying to do too much has been an issue for a number of Jags players at times.  In certain moments it is forgivable, and at many other moments it can be a major liability. 

This is just one more example of the coaching staff's failure to instill discipline.

The absence of disciplined play is what initially began turning me against this coaching staff last season  - and the fact that it is now even worse 6 games into the following season is unforgivable. 

That is the exact mindset that I want him to have.  

What's happened is that in 2015 he was a different quarterback.  His release and throwing motion were completely different.   I think the injury conspiracy is more likely.  Or just that he got lazy.  But his mechanics are affecting his accuracy.

Here is the shocking footage (2015 highlights):

I don't care about all the interceptions.  I want this guy back.

You can clearly see the difference in his throwing motion from last year.
Quote:That is the exact mindset that I want him to have.  

What's happened is that in 2015 he was a different quarterback.  His release and throwing motion were completely different.   I think the injury conspiracy is more likely.  Or just that he got lazy.  But his mechanics are affecting his accuracy.

Here is the shocking footage (2015 highlights):

I don't care about all the interceptions.  I want this guy back.

You're not getting him back. He's gone. Now that this offense has to actually string together an offensive drive when the game is still scoreless or only a possession away from having the lead they simply cannot challenge any defense that has an answer for everything they're trying to do. All of that 2015 highlight reel reflects is the prime time garbage time padded statistics they were eating up after the game was all but won during the first three quarters of regulation. So far this year. Oh, you want to run the football? Nope. Not here you won't. Oh, you think you can throw it over our safeties now like you did last year? Nope. Not here you won't. Oh, we'll leave you the middle of the field to work with. But since you can't run the ball effectively on 1st and 2nd downs and we know it's an obvious 3rd and long passing situation. We'll make you work harder for those short to medium passes by playing cover two on you and limiting your window space.

This team is a joke on offense lhis year and it was a fluke last year. Olson was quoted somewhere earlier this year about what our approach would be on offense this year. And I think he said something to the effect of "Well, we're not really going to change anything, just try to build off what we did last year". So, the way I translated that was "Oh, we're slacking off this off-season and since it worked well in 2015 for us late in games we're just not going to try and do it without making any adjustments. Even though our opponents will now have a full season to watch how we do things and can make adjustments to shut it down". That's what I am seeing too. Not enough adjustments on offense to hopefully spark a fire for a drive or multiple drives.

This is what happens when you fire your offensive coordinator who was ranked 31st two years ago and replace him with the only other offensive coordinator who could possibly be worse than him with his 32nd ranked offense being carried over here to Jacksonville. Carr clearly is flourishing without Olson in his way. Good chance he was somewhat holding him back.

Quote:Trying to do too much has been an issue for a number of Jags players at times. In certain moments it is forgivable, and at many other moments it I can be a major liability.

This is just one more example of the coaching staff's failure to instill discipline.

The absence of disciplined play is what initially began turning me against this coaching staff last season - and the fact that it is now even worse 6 games into the following season is unforgivable.

Exactly.

I forgot to add that this is also a huge issue because players feel like they have a high level of autonomy.

This is Not only illustrated by the play on the field, but also by the lack of discipline exhibited by Ramsey and Malik. The players are becoming the identity of this team not the coaching. Which is obviously very bad.
Quote:You're not getting him back. He's gone. Now that this offense has to actually string together an offensive drive when the game is still scoreless or only a possession away from having the lead they simply cannot challenge any defense that has an answer for everything they're trying to do. All of that 2015 highlight reel reflects is the prime time garbage time padded statistics they were eating up after the game was all but won during the first three quarters of regulation. So far this year. Oh, you want to run the football? Nope. Not here you won't. Oh, you think you can throw it over our safeties now like you did last year? Nope. Not here you won't. Oh, we'll leave you the middle of the field to work with. But since you can't run the ball effectively on 1st and 2nd downs and we know it's an obvious 3rd and long passing situation. We'll make you work harder for those short to medium passes by playing cover two on you and limiting your window space.

You missed the point I was making though.  None of this explains his blatant change in throwing motion and diminished accuracy.
Quote:You missed the point I was making though.  None of this explains his blatant change in throwing motion and diminished accuracy.

I understood your point just fine. A lot of what I said explains his blatant change in throwing motion and diminished accuracy. Not sure how you could overlook that yourself. Think about what I just wrote. The opposing defenses are taking away what he did best in 2015. There is no more easy opportunity for the deep ball that he had last year because we're not playing from behind anymore like we did in 2015. There is no more easy one on one match ups for the short to medium passing game because the running game doesn't command any respect and therefore he's not fooling anybody in the opponent's linebacking core to come up and bite on any of his fakes.

He's basically being exposed. When your receivers are blanketed. Guess what he's doing? He's having to adjust on the fly and think on the fly. Meaning, he's off balance with his throwing motions and accuracy. It's not that hard to see that so far this year. The few times this year when Olson has called a bootleg or designed one or two pass option reads on a designed one side of the field type of pass. He's been pretty accurate. But now that he's had everything taken from him. He's having to adjust and he can't get it done. That's on him as a quarterback and that's on his offensive coordinator for trying to make him a pocket passer. But because, as cited twice now. Because the running game isn't there and the safeties aren't being fooled on the long developing deep passing plays. He has nowhere to go but the middle of the field. And it's too tight and too much for him to handle.

Quote:A lot of what I said explains his blatant change in throwing motion and diminished accuracy. Not sure how you could overlook that yourself. 

Maybe you should highlight those parts in red, because I didn't see it.
Quote:Maybe you should highlight those parts in red, because I didn't see it.

Or you could not be a lazy little [BLEEP] and read it. Sorry this isn't English class. No cliff notes here. If you're too dense to see what's going on out there I can't help you.
Quote:Or you could not be a lazy little [BAD WORD REMOVED] and read it. Sorry this isn't English class. No cliff notes here. If you're too dense to see what's going on out there I can't help you.

Well that was helpful.

2016 Blake Bortles in a clean pocket with time and open receivers is dropping the ball to his hips on his throws.
Quote:Exactly. While we're over here sopping up all this philosophical non-sense over the last four years. We've had to sit back and watch teams like the Redksins, Raiders, Vikings, Chiefs, Cardinals & now most recently the Eagles turn things around rather quickly. None of those coaches in Gruden, Del Rio, Zimmer, Reid, Arians & Pederson inherited perfect football teams by any means. They all had glaring holes and fundamental issues somewhere on their roster and they addressed it and got it going. Even before then with Seattle under Carroll. Carroll may have gotten lucky a few years earlier on playing in a then, weak NFC West. But at least his teams were capable of flirting with 7 - 9 all year. Under Bradley in four years this team has never completely finished a game or looked competent from start to finish over any two week period. And that speaks volumes.

Many of those guys were head coaches previously even if only on Interim basis wiht Arians) . It is one of my biggest faults with the organizations decision. Say you want to clean house and start totally fresh. Fine, but why do that with a rookie HC, a rookie OC (at the time), and horribly failed DC. Why not bringing a coach with at least some experience. Most of the head coaches that have been good in recent years were immensely better their second time. Sure that is not always the case, but list of coaches that applies to is pretty impressive.  
Quote:Well that was helpful.

2016 Blake Bortles in a clean pocket with time and open receivers is dropping the ball to his hips on his throws.
This goes with my argument to some extent.

Bortles has reverted back to 2014 Bortles, because he has desregarded what is ACTUALLY important. He is trying to do too much mentally, to the point of completely missing out on continuing to correct his technique. He is valuing big plays and explosion over efficiency and technique.

Goes back to coaching
Quote:This goes with my argument to some extent.

Bortles has reverted back to 2014 Bortles, because he has desregarded what is ACTUALLY important. He is trying to do too much mentally, to the point of completely missing out on continuing to correct his technique. He is valuing big plays and explosion over efficiency and technique.

Goes back to coaching
This is kind of what it seems like. 
Quote:This goes with my argument to some extent.

Goes back to coaching

There definitely was a change in focus.  2015 Bortles offseason was all about technique.  2016 Bortles offseason was all about the playbook.  Either way the end result is his motion is slow and sloppy.  The slow motion could be to blame for him constantly throwing it behind receivers and all the tipped balls.  

I wouldn't say it's all on his mechanics as there are many other problems (as Caldrac and many others would point out), but I do feel like his mechanics are changing the way he plays and affecting his confidence.
Quote:There definitely was a change in focus.  2015 Bortles offseason was all about technique.  2016 Bortles offseason was all about the playbook.  Either way the end result is his motion is slow and sloppy.  The slow motion could be to blame for him constantly throwing it behind receivers and all the tipped balls.  

I wouldn't say it's all on his mechanics as there are many other problems (as Caldrac and many others would point out), but I do feel like his mechanics are changing the way he plays and affecting his confidence.
Exactly. His windup is messing with the timing. He's off on slants, out routes and missing on a ton of deep routes. It's letting DB's get the jump on and be near or at the ball on passes.

Is it poor coaching? Playing to much in his head? I have no clue but the mechanics are the reason he's stinking it up. 
Quote:There definitely was a change in focus. 2015 Bortles offseason was all about technique. 2016 Bortles offseason was all about the playbook.

You're absolutely right.

It's incredibly asinine that Bortles or who ever his mentor is decided "your tech is fine after just ONE year of changing your whole setup, let's focus on the playbook because it's so unique and varied"

Of COURSE Bortles was going to revert back to how he's played his whole life, one year of technical focus is not going to fix a life's work of bad technique.

Just so dumb. Bortles needs a better teacher.
Pages: 1 2