Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2 Year Window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sounds about right for a team without a franchise QB. A franchise QB can extend that window to 4-6 years.
Unless we defy the odds and draft a bonafide franchise QB with a non premium pick then yes.
They are very obviously in "win now" mode.

Of course that doesn't really define the window of how long this franchise can hang around as a perennial play-off contender. That could easily grow to several years with the right draft moves and picks.
Few details in there that I could argue with but generally he's hit the nail on the head. I just hope to God that we don't risk being able to resign the core young guys on this team. It appears they know what they are doing.

I think this draft will be about recruiting young talent to fill those future holes when we do have to release players. I think Smoot last year was in this mold, a player who can sit for a few years and then hopefully take over a starting spot.
That window becomes 10 seasons when the Jaguars make a blockbuster trade to move up 27 spots to get a future elite QB, Josh Rosen.
I agree the current roster has two years to accomplish what they can. After that, it's decision time at QB.

In the meantime, this quip our cap situation is rather ominous...

Quote:Jacksonville already has the most money in the NFL committed to the 2019 payroll in actual dollars, according to spotrac.com, at $176M, $20M more than the champion Eagles. Spin it forward to 2020, and the Jags again project to have the highest payroll in the NFL. Oh yeah, they also project to have the highest cap number in the NFL both of those years, including nearly $30M over spotrac.com's projected cap for 2019.
Absolutely agree, many of us have been saying this. IMO it is even shorter, they are all in for 2018. The 2019 defense will have a whole lot of holes in it because of all the cuts and no money to fill them. They will be filled by rookies. Can't just cut pro powl talents and replace them with rookies and expect good results. Windows for championship defenses are very small, always have been.

Window expands if they get a franchise QB. I really hope "the plan" is to get a guy this year.
Not if we hit on our picks.
That is true for most teams not named Steelers or Patriots. The nfl salary cap was designed to prevent dynasties so bad teams could always rise and turn their fortune around. The superbowl window is always been small outside a few teams.
Yeah this sounds about right. I know people don’t want to hear this but that’s why finding the qb spot is so important. Blake is great and I love him I just don’t know how successful he will be once this roster gets purged next year whether we win the super bowl or not. Hopefully he takes that step into top 10 this year but I’m not sure he can carry this team for a full season with lesser players around him on both sides of th ball. Getting a qb this year could help extend that window by having a cheap contract and if they are a franchise guy then we all know what that means.

But back on topic that would make sense. If they can’t get it done this year or next, it would make sense to blow it up keep the elite/boarder line young guys and rethink your team philosophy.

I disagree with Coughlin being a short term fixture here. Coughlin is here to stay lol
first you all need to learn the difference between a franchise QB and an elite QB. you all keep saying we need a franchise QB but what you mean is an elite QB. We have a franchise QB and he may grow into a elite QB. there are no elite QBs in this draft because none of them have been put into an actual game yet. Is luck a Franchise QB ? is he an elite QB? what about jamis, or mariota, or Cam they keep underperforming while BB5 keeps overperforming they will be out of the league in a year. Just dont understand the #anyonebutblake people.
(03-19-2018, 02:32 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]first you all need to learn the difference between a franchise QB and an elite QB. you all keep saying we need a franchise QB but what you mean is an elite QB. We have a franchise QB and he may grow into a elite QB. there are no elite QBs in this draft because none of them have been put into an actual game yet. Is luck a Franchise QB ? is he an elite QB? what about jamis, or mariota, or Cam they keep underperforming while BB5 keeps overperforming they will be out of the league in a year. Just dont understand the #anyonebutblake people.

Agreeing with folks learning the difference. I would ask do we really have a franchise qb tho? I don’t consider a franchise qb a guy who starts for your team and can do all the interviews. From a play stand point it’s a guy who has a skill set that you can develop an offense around and be successful with it. I don’t consider Matt Ryan an elite qb but he is a franchise guy. He can elevate other players and the entire offense is built around what he’s sees and his skill set. 

I like Blake but I’m not sure he’s shown he can be considered a franchise guy
Lamar Jackson is the only savior to extend that window
(03-19-2018, 02:37 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-19-2018, 02:32 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]first you all need to learn the difference between a franchise QB and an elite QB. you all keep saying we need a franchise QB but what you mean is an elite QB. We have a franchise QB and he may grow into a elite QB. there are no elite QBs in this draft because none of them have been put into an actual game yet. Is luck a Franchise QB ? is he an elite QB? what about jamis, or mariota, or Cam they keep underperforming while BB5 keeps overperforming they will be out of the league in a year. Just dont understand the #anyonebutblake people.

Agreeing with folks learning the difference. I would ask do we really have a franchise qb tho? I don’t consider a franchise qb a guy who starts for your team and can do all the interviews. From a play stand point it’s a guy who has a skill set that you can develop an offense around and be successful with it. I don’t consider Matt Ryan an elite qb but he is a franchise guy. He can elevate other players and the entire offense is built around what he’s sees and his skill set. 

I like Blake but I’m not sure he’s shown he can be considered a franchise guy

I agree it is hard to determine what some would consider a franchise QB. How many Qbs in the last 5 years have been drafted and touted as a Franchise QB who are being shipped off or struggleing? Our offensive philosphy dictates our QB not our Qb dictating the offense like Ryan. Our coaches do not want a QB who throws all over the place they want one to hand it off and every now and then toss the ball. If we had got Cousins our offense would not have changed. The coaching staff would still give it to LF up the middle on 1st and 2nd down. So BB5 is the Jags Franchise QB, he would not be one in new orleans or oakland or any where they thro w alot but here where we run and run again he is. Anyonebutblake ppl need to come to the realization that its not BB5 its the coaches and how they want the team run. The writing is on the wall they just refuse to read it. WE run the ball. Arob knows this and is why he chose to go elsewhere where they will throw the ball. Blake took us to the AFC championship that does not make him a Franchise QB but if he does it again it sure makes the argument.
Players restructure all the time to stay on winning teams.

I am not concerned at all about things.
(03-19-2018, 01:12 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]That window becomes 10 seasons when the Jaguars make a blockbuster trade to move up 27 spots to get a future elite QB, Josh Rosen.

Oh i wish they would do this for sure.
(03-19-2018, 01:17 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree the current roster has two years to accomplish what they can. After that, it's decision time at QB.

In the meantime, this quip our cap situation is rather ominous...

Quote:Jacksonville already has the most money in the NFL committed to the 2019 payroll in actual dollars, according to spotrac.com, at $176M, $20M more than the champion Eagles. Spin it forward to 2020, and the Jags again project to have the highest payroll in the NFL. Oh yeah, they also project to have the highest cap number in the NFL both of those years, including nearly $30M over spotrac.com's projected cap for 2019.

Projected payroll means nothing. They usually contain salaries that were on the back end of contracts that were never expected to be paid in the first place.

The good young players get a restructured extension that reamortizes the cap hit over the life of the extension and the older players get released as their production declines.

You can never maintain success by relying on FA. The key is to be able to find good young talent either in the draft or early in their career that allow for you to structure cap friendly contracts that can be extended if needed when the big cap hits come due.

This is obviously a lot easier said than done, but many teams manage to do this for an extended period or at least with minimal down years.

I've been saying this for quite some time but they called me a Blake Bortles apologist because they don't want to hear the truth. Spread the gospel by man
To further my point Blake Bortles and his situation is similar to Dak Prescott and Marcus Mariota but they don't get the scrutiny or negativity as Blake Bortles because of Blake's floor is so bad that it can cause a person to have a toothache. LOL. I always wondered Blake Bortles career would have been like if he was blessed with a good coach and Philosophy from day one instead of the crap he had to deal with for the first three years? I do not think Blake Bortles is a carry the team franchise QB just yet but I think he can grow into one based on the blueprint set by this franchise which other QB such a big Ben and Joe Flacco use for their development as well.
Pages: 1 2