Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Revisiting Cole
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last year in the aftermath of the Robinson injury, I posted this thread.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=22970

In it, I theorized Cole could possibly evolve into a #1 WR for us.

I even discussed the possibility that Hurns, Robinson and Lee could all be gone. 

Now that Hurns and Robinson are gone, and now that all of last year has been played, where do you guys stand?

Does anyone think Cole could become the #1 after what we saw from him last year?  Why or why not?
Call me crazy, but i think both Cole and Westbrook are gonna be very good WRs. Although i think Westbrook might be better than Cole and will eventually be the #1 WR. It says a lot that just a few years ago both Robinson and Hurns had very good seasons and now they’re both gone. Seems to me like the team has confidence Cole and Westbrook will take the next step.
(03-20-2018, 11:56 AM)TexasJag956 Wrote: [ -> ]Call me crazy, but i think both Cole and Westbrook are gonna be very good WRs. Although i think Westbrook might be better than Cole and will eventually be the #1 WR. It says a lot that just a few years ago both Robinson and Hurns had very good seasons and now they’re both gone. Seems to me like the team has confidence Cole and Westbrook will take the next step.

I like what Westbrook has to offer, but I still view him, rightly or wrongly, as being better in the slot.

So you see Cole as a 3rd WR at best?
Let's try this again...

WR1 (x or split-end): Moncrief, Lee
WR2 (z or flanker): Cole, Lee
WR3 (slot): Westbrook, Mickens
I like Cole, and he definitely showed some promise last year.

As for your question... well.. his competition is Moncrief, Lee, Mickens, and Westbrook... so yeah... go ahead and pencil him in at #1 in my books.

Moncrief is all potential, no proof.
Lee drops far too many critical passes
Westbrook has promise. Optimistic on him, Cole's just shown more so far
Mickens is a return guy who can fill in and help out, but certainly not a #1
(03-20-2018, 12:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's try this again...

So why do you see Cole as a Z as opposed to an X?
(03-20-2018, 11:53 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Last year in the aftermath of the Robinson injury, I posted this thread.

I even discussed the possibility that Hurns, Robinson and Lee could all be gone. 

Now that Hurns and Robinson are gone, and now that all of last year has been played, where do you guys stand?

Does anyone think Cole could become the #1 after what we saw from him last year?  Why or why not?

HUMBLE BRAG
(03-20-2018, 01:27 PM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 11:53 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Last year in the aftermath of the Robinson injury, I posted this thread.

HUMBLE BRAG
Not really, because it's possible that Coles never develops into a #1 WR.
(03-20-2018, 01:29 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 01:27 PM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: [ -> ]HUMBLE BRAG
Not really, because it's possible that Coles never develops into a #1 WR.

Just messing my man. I live for chances to make people laugh, even when it doesn't work. I definitely think he has the potential to do so and it is becoming obvious that front office believes as much. Lets hope so
(03-20-2018, 01:31 PM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 01:29 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Not really, because it's possible that Coles never develops into a #1 WR.

Just messing my man. I live for chances to make people laugh, even when it doesn't work. I definitely think he has the potential to do so and it is becoming obvious that front office believes as much. Lets hope so

I hope the FO believes in him and are right as well.

As for needling the occasional poster (me included), have at it.

It can be fun-if within COC, of course. Big Grin
I think he's capable of being a starter, as he did step up as a rookie due to injury.

However, I think the club is slow walking him into that role. I think they'll give him an opportunity to grow at his pace and not be asked/forced into that role as he was last year.

You want two capable guys behind the starters. Assuming Moncrief and Lee are outside, then you have Westbrook and Cole as alternatives.

Cole's progress will be very interesting to watch this preseason.

Not to derail a Cole thread, but I'm eager to see Westbrook's sophomore season as well.
Cole has work to do to be a #1 as he doesn't consistently win at the L.O.S. when pressed.

If he can get that together - the sky is the limit.

Given the present corps the Jags don't necessarily need that "magic-unicorn-number-one-receiver."

They are gearing up to increase their yards-per-attempt in the run game and stretch the field with speed from the receiver position in play action. They look fairly well equipped to do so with the draft yet to happen. Cole, Westbrook, Moncreif and even Lee are all fast enough to allow Hackett to scheme up open men downfield often enough.

I do believe we'll see more rotation at receiver this season. Hackett did a fair amount of it shuffling Cole, Lee and Westbrook around last season - and I expect he'll continue that with this group.
(03-20-2018, 01:43 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]I think he's capable of being a starter, as he did step up as a rookie due to injury.

However, I think the club is slow walking him into that role.  I think they'll give him an opportunity to grow at his pace and not be asked/forced into that role as he was last year.

You want two capable guys behind the starters.  Assuming Moncrief and Lee are outside, then you have Westbrook and Cole as alternatives.

Cole's progress will be very interesting to watch this preseason.

Not to derail a Cole thread, but I'm eager to see Westbrook's sophomore season as well.

I think Cole and Westbrook are linked.  I, for one, welcome Westbrook into this discussion.

Their combined development for this team is important for this team and interesting to watch.

As far as Coles is concerned, he started out as a possible mini camp marvel.  Then he electrified during training camp and preseason.

But he cooled off late preseason and early regular season.  He seemed to be just a guy for a bit.

Then it seemed the light came on for him against the Colts, and he started playing very well.  The consistency he lacked started to show.

Now that he has a full season under his belt, now that he has a better idea how defenses operate and a better grasp of the offense, he should take a step up from last year.  If so, that will be fun to see and good for the Jaguars.
(03-20-2018, 01:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Cole has work to do to be a #1 as he doesn't consistently win at the L.O.S. when pressed.

If he can get that together - the sky is the limit.

Given the present corps the Jags don't necessarily need that "magic-unicorn-number-one-receiver."

They are gearing up to increase their yards-per-attempt in the run game and stretch the field with speed from the receiver position in play action. They look fairly well equipped to do so with the draft yet to happen.  Cole, Westbrook, Moncreif and even Lee are all fast enough to allow Hackett to scheme up open men downfield often enough.

I do believe we'll see more rotation at receiver this season.  Hackett did a fair amount of it shuffling Cole, Lee and Westbrook around last season - and I expect he'll continue that with this group.

I agree completely with your take on him getting better at the LOS, and his potential as a WR if he masters that aspect of his game.

He had some big plays last year.
(03-20-2018, 12:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 11:56 AM)TexasJag956 Wrote: [ -> ]Call me crazy, but i think both Cole and Westbrook are gonna be very good WRs. Although i think Westbrook might be better than Cole and will eventually be the #1 WR. It says a lot that just a few years ago both Robinson and Hurns had very good seasons and now they’re both gone. Seems to me like the team has confidence Cole and Westbrook will take the next step.

I like what Westbrook has to offer, but I still view him, rightly or wrongly, as being better in the slot.

I actually think Cole has the potential to be a starter outside. I believe (could be wrong of course) that Westbrook and Cole will be the starters outside sooner or later. With Lee always being injured and Moncrief not being a sure thing, its possible, especially with the way the played last season.
(03-20-2018, 02:00 PM)TexasJag956 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 12:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I like what Westbrook has to offer, but I still view him, rightly or wrongly, as being better in the slot.

I actually think Cole has the potential to be a starter outside. I believe (could be wrong of course) that Westbrook and Cole will be the starters outside sooner or later. With Lee always being injured and Moncrief not being a sure thing, its possible, especially with the way the played last season.

Is this still a thing? 

Lee started 30 of 32 games the past two seasons and played 28 full games in that stretch.
(03-20-2018, 12:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 12:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's try this again...

So why do you see Cole as a Z as opposed to an X?

Cole doesn't get all that much separation typically coming down with tough catches over the middle. He strikes me as a possession receiver who should do just fine in a flanker-type role. At split-end, it's suddenly important to have all the factors like size and speed to beat the league's top CBs. Moncrief is our tallest receiver, has blazing speed, and has been working in this very role all along. Lee at least has some top-end speed to make things interesting although he too is a bit small. I love Cole because he's clutch, but his measurables aren't quite there. He measures just under 6' 1", and at his pro day, he ran the 40 in about 4.6 flat. Really what the Jaguars can use at WR is someone like Courtland Sutton who has the size you want and can run.
(03-20-2018, 02:13 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 12:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]So why do you see Cole as a Z as opposed to an X?

Cole doesn't get all that much separation typically coming down with tough catches over the middle. He strikes me as a possession receiver who should do just fine in a flanker-type role. At split-end it's suddenly important to have all the factors like size and speed to beat the league's top CBs. Moncrief is our tallest receiver, has blazing speed, and has been working in this very role all along. Lee at least has some top-end speed to make things interesting although he too is a bit small. I love Cole because he's clutch, but his measureables aren't quite there. He's measures just under 6' 1", and at his pro day he ran the 40 in about 4.6 flat. Really what the Jaguars can use at WR is someone like Courtland Sutton who has the size you want and can run.

I submit Coles is field fast, not necessarily stopwatch fast.

He got deep all preseason and then when he adjusted to the pro game, got deep regularly throughout the regular season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...leKe00.htm

I see nothing about a 17.8 YPC that resembles a possession receiver.
(03-20-2018, 02:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 02:13 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
Cole doesn't get all that much separation typically coming down with tough catches over the middle. He strikes me as a possession receiver who should do just fine in a flanker-type role. At split-end it's suddenly important to have all the factors like size and speed to beat the league's top CBs. Moncrief is our tallest receiver, has blazing speed, and has been working in this very role all along. Lee at least has some top-end speed to make things interesting although he too is a bit small. I love Cole because he's clutch, but his measureables aren't quite there. He's measures just under 6' 1", and at his pro day he ran the 40 in about 4.6 flat. Really what the Jaguars can use at WR is someone like Courtland Sutton who has the size you want and can run.

I submit Coles is field fast, not necessarily stopwatch fast.

He got deep all preseason and then when he adjusted to the pro game, got deep regularly throughout the regular season.

I agree.  

Regarding Cole at X vs Z, however, our prior dialogue is the deciding factor. The Z is allowed to line up off the line and "get a step" on the defender should he press at the line. 

Still - Cole was used at the X some in 2017 and to some success. I expect he'll get some looks there (if limited)  - especially if he improves beating the jam.
(03-20-2018, 02:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 02:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I submit Coles is field fast, not necessarily stopwatch fast.

I agree.  

Regarding Cole at X vs Z, however, our prior dialogue is the deciding factor. The Z is allowed to line up off the line and "get a step" on the defender should he press at the line. 

Still - Cole was used at the X some in 2017 and to some success. I expect he'll get some looks there (if limited)  - especially if he improves beating the jam.

Maybe he can do it. My logic is that there are only so many guys in the league truly capable of playing the x, and then the rest of them play the z or the slot.
Pages: 1 2