Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Pre-Draft Jags WR corps Speculation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jags news is a bit slow until the Jags get closer to the draft, unveil uniforms, and host events at the stadium. 
With that in mind (and the divisive nature of the Jags current receiver line-up post free agency) I thought we could toss around a few ideas on the matter. 

There's a decent chance the Jags take a receiver in the draft that may earn snaps as a rookie. 
The following is my best guess at some good options they'll have and where these guys are most likely to line up. 
Opinions welcome. 

[Image: Jags3wr.png]

Of course - this is only exploring the options within this basic formation. But it gives you an idea of where I think they'll play. 

If I had to line them up in a 3WR set tomorrow, I'd put Moncreif at X, Lee in the slot, and Cole at Flanker/Z.  Westbrook could rotate in at Slot or Z at will. 

Hopefully if they draft a guy - he's got length and range enough to play the X in a rotation with Moncreif.
I would be fine with this. I honestly think for what we want to do on offense... we need to let Westbrook and Cole develop. I don't think we maximize the talent we have on our roster if we draft a 1st or 2nd round WR. Even the player we draft does well, it takes away from Cole and Westbrook's touches and development. I just think we have other pressing needs.
(04-02-2018, 02:11 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]I would be fine with this. I honestly think for what we want to do on offense... we need to let Westbrook and Cole develop. I don't think we maximize the talent we have on our roster if we draft a 1st or 2nd round WR. Even the player we draft does well, it takes away from Cole and Westbrook's touches and development. I just think we have other pressing needs.

I agree. I'd wait till the third round at the absolute earliest, and I'd prefer later.
I seem to recall last pre-season they were working Westbrook on the outside and remember Coach Marone saying something about how they like him on the outside.  Not that last pre-season really means anything...
(04-02-2018, 03:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to recall last pre-season they were working Westbrook on the outside and remember Coach Marone saying something about how they like him on the outside.  Not that last pre-season really means anything...

Yeah, Westbrook played outside.  They used Cole a good bit in the slot and he even scored a few times from there
If we draft someone, it has to be a bigger guy like moncrief though right? Unfortunately there's no one in this draft with his combo of size, speed and athleticism, but you'd have to believe if they're drafting someone, they at least have to have his size and hopefully have some physicality to them as well.
(04-02-2018, 04:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2018, 03:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to recall last pre-season they were working Westbrook on the outside and remember Coach Marone saying something about how they like him on the outside.  Not that last pre-season really means anything...

Yeah, Westbrook played outside.  They used Cole a good bit in the slot and he even scored a few times from there

Marrone's comments concerning Westbrook outside were that he prefers his receivers to learn to play outside first, before they learn the slot position. He said it was important to see what they can do/ let them gain experience facing press coverage outside against NFL defenders. 

Westbrook didn't play tons of snaps from the slot last season - but I'd wager boldly that he gets significant looks there this year.  As already stated -  he could be rotated in at will in the slot or the Z (outside.) 

Running him from the X (split end) seems unwise as it's a role better suited to guys who will need to win against the jam at the L.O.S. more often. Typically not a strong suit for a receiver of Westbrook's size.
(04-02-2018, 04:59 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]If we draft someone, it has to be a bigger guy like moncrief though right?  Unfortunately there's no one in this draft with his combo of size, speed and athleticism, but you'd have to believe if they're drafting someone, they at least have to have his size and hopefully have some physicality to them as well.

Robinson didn't have that combination either but he played the role well.  (he wasn't that fast) 

I think they can find a guy in the draft with the size and physicality they want there.  There's a pretty good handful of receivers projected in rounds 3-6 that are over 6'2" and 200+ pounds. 
Not a stretch to think one of them could - at the very least - provide depth that represents a similar skill-set to Moncreif's.
(04-02-2018, 05:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2018, 04:59 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]If we draft someone, it has to be a bigger guy like moncrief though right?  Unfortunately there's no one in this draft with his combo of size, speed and athleticism, but you'd have to believe if they're drafting someone, they at least have to have his size and hopefully have some physicality to them as well.

Robinson didn't have that combination either but he played the role well.  (he wasn't that fast) 

I think they can find a guy in the draft with the size and physicality they want there.  There's a pretty good handful of receivers projected in rounds 3-6 that are over 6'2" and 200+ pounds. 
Not a stretch to think one of them could - at the very least - provide depth that represents a similar skill-set to Moncreif's.

Except most of those tall guys ran something like a 4.6  where Moncrief is a 4.3 guy. There's only a few with both some speed and height such as Sutton and St. Brown. They might not be quite as fast as Moncrief, but they're bigger and look to dominate out there.
(04-02-2018, 05:31 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2018, 05:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Robinson didn't have that combination either but he played the role well.  (he wasn't that fast) 

Except most of those tall guys ran something like a 4.6  where Moncrief is a 4.3 guy. There's only a few with both some speed and height such as Sutton and St. Brown. They might not be quite as fast as Moncrief, but they're bigger and look to dominate out there.

As already mentioned. Lack of elite speed is not a deal breaker for what the Jags need backing up Moncreif at the X in my opinion.  
 Westbrook, Moncreif, Cole and Lee are all plenty fast. Do you really need your fifth guy to be blazing fast?   A guy that's big and physical enough to pose an occasional red zone threat, win a few jump balls, and bully the defender at the LOS / along the sideline is enough.
(04-02-2018, 05:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2018, 04:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, Westbrook played outside.  They used Cole a good bit in the slot and he even scored a few times from there

Marrone's comments concerning Westbrook outside were that he prefers his receivers to learn to play outside first, before they learn the slot position. He said it was important to see what they can do/ let them gain experience facing press coverage outside against NFL defenders. 

Westbrook didn't play tons of snaps from the slot last season - but I'd wager boldly that he gets significant looks there this year.  As already stated -  he could be rotated in at will in the slot or the Z (outside.) 

Running him from the X (split end) seems unwise as it's a role better suited to guys who will need to win against the jam at the L.O.S. more often. Typically not a strong suit for a receiver of Westbrook's size.
Not many WR his size has his skillset.  Marvin Harrison, DeSean Jackson, Torry Holt, Antonio Brown to name a few smaller guys who excelled on the outside.  I'm sure Lee, Westbrook, and Cole will all see time in the slot but I like what Cole did from there last year.
Yup it's not absolutely necessary but a big bodied possession guy would really complete the WR group skillset wise.

Not interested in taking that type in the first few rounds but off the top of my head guys that fit that mold would be : Jaleel Scott, Allen Lazard, Simmie Cobbs jr, Javon Wimms (believe we had a meeting with him).
Gonna make a thread for who I want and who I think it will be for a number of reasons
No OBJ comments? There's a shock.
I dont like the idea of lining Cole up and sending him over the middle. If we ask him to make the catches we asked Hurns to make, he's not gonna last long.
(04-03-2018, 08:14 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: [ -> ]I dont like the idea of lining Cole up and sending him over the middle. If we ask him to make the catches we asked Hurns to make, he's not gonna last long.

Yeah. I don't see Cole playing much from the slot personally. I doubt they do a ton of that (setting them up for hits over the middle.) with any of the receivers really.
If you check out what was happening from the slot last season - you'll notice that the vast majority of targets to the Y were on route's designed to get the receiver in space. 

i.e.: Hackett would have a back and/or TE drawing LB attention and other receivers drawing safety attention, or he'd clear an area with bunch formations or rub routes. Thus giving the slot receiver time and space to make a catch in single coverage or in enough space to react and protect himself from a closing defender.

There weren't as many that had a safety coming downhill - or a LB closing. 
Sure seemed like intentional design by Hackett to me. One would assume due to Bortles having led Hurns and ARob into some big hits in 2016.

Obviously anyone playing the slot extensively will eventually find themselves in a situation to take a big hit, but it sure look like the Jags were working to limit those situations last season.
(04-02-2018, 06:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Gonna make a thread for who I want and who I think it will be for a number of reasons

I'm leaning toward guys like this player (who the Jags have met with) that would go in round three or later. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/j...id=2560024

There are also guys like Wims and Lazard to consider beyond the third round.
Dont really have the time to make a thread on him but I think the guy we end up taking in the 4th is WR Syracuse WR Steve Ishmael. Both Tom and Doug are Syracuse guys, hes a Biletnikoff finalist, set Marvin Harrisons school record for receptions. Hes not the fastest but ran a 4.5 at the pro day, 6'2" with great hands, can high point the ball. Is a different type WR than what we have a would be great value in the mid rounds imo. Here is a little bit of him, beats Ramey a few years ago

https://youtu.be/4VogvPmGKSs
(04-03-2018, 11:42 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Dont really have the time to make a thread on him but I think the guy we end up taking in the 4th is WR Syracuse WR Steve Ishmael.  Both Tom and Doug are Syracuse guys, hes a Biletnikoff finalist, set Marvin Harrisons school record for receptions.  Hes not the fastest but ran a 4.5 at the pro day, 6'2" with great hands, can high point the ball.  Is a different type WR than what we have a would be great value in the mid rounds imo.  Here is a little bit of him, beats Ramey a few years ago

https://youtu.be/4VogvPmGKSs

Did a twitter thread on him a few months ago. I'm a big fan.      

He produced a ton against teams like Clemson, N.C State, Miami , FSU. Doesn't have much buzz compared to the rest of the receviers but he's very solid. Likely goes later than the 4th.  

My comp for him is Hurns/Rishard Matthews.
(04-03-2018, 11:42 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Dont really have the time to make a thread on him but I think the guy we end up taking in the 4th is WR Syracuse WR Steve Ishmael.  Both Tom and Doug are Syracuse guys, hes a Biletnikoff finalist, set Marvin Harrisons school record for receptions.  Hes not the fastest but ran a 4.5 at the pro day, 6'2" with great hands, can high point the ball.  Is a different type WR than what we have a would be great value in the mid rounds imo.  Here is a little bit of him, beats Ramey a few years ago

He'd be a welcome addition. No idea where his draft stock will end up, but late in the fourth doesn't seem like a bad spot for him. Maybe that's a bit early, but I wouldn't dislike that pick there.  

He checks a lot of boxes.
Pages: 1 2