Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Did the Jags draft anyone that will start next year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've seen articles on how wonderful the Jags did in the draft. I've seen people posting how much they Loved/Hated the Jags draft. My only question is, barring injury or a trade did they draft anyone that will start next year? Anyone that is better than the starter that is currently on the roster? If not, is this normal? How often do teams have entire draft classes that don't get a single starter the next year?
It means they had a bad draft, or an incredible roster...
Cooke
(04-29-2018, 11:53 PM)JagswinJagswin Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen articles on how wonderful the Jags did in the draft. I've seen people posting how much they Loved/Hated the Jags draft. My only question is, barring injury or a trade did they draft anyone that will start next year? Anyone that is better than the starter that is currently on the roster? If not, is this normal? How often do teams have entire draft classes that don't get a single starter the next year?

All the picks are expected to compete for starting roles. If you don't expect the same or believe any of our picks can then you need to try to trade draft picks for established veterans and thus avoid building the roster by selecting the most talented players possible, regardless of what position they play via the draft.
1. Chark will probably start a game sometime this season.
2. Richardson could beat out Cann, or less likely Parnell.
3. On average, two starters will get injured before the season. One of them may play a position where we have a draft pick. Bryan can play 3T (Jackson) and LE (Campbell). Harrison is (presumably) the #1 backup at both strong and free safety. There are three WR positions and four OL positions, making 11 positions total where an injury can be filled by one of the top four draft picks.

The Jags roster was solid going into the draft. There are not many positions where a late 1st round pick would be an immediate upgrade. That's a good thing!
They'll be competing for starting roles, but it depends how things shake out in camp and the preseason. No one is gonna get handed a job. If I had to guess though, I think Jacobs has the best chance to start right away in our sub packages, but it all depends on how he plays. He has to earn the job.
Bryan will rotate in.
Harrison should get dime work.
Chark will get meaningful snaps by mid-season.
Richardson could very well start at RG if he has a good camp/preseason.
The punter thing... could go either way.
When you draft rookies who don't "start" that usually means your roster is pretty talented.
Establish an identity
Use Free Agency to get starter
When picking late round...

Pick players that represent value and impact but also give you options.

This is the road to supplemental picks and not being held hostage by a marginal roster. Honestly it is a meh draft but all the flashy guys go to teams with losing records. The draft was the high point for a decade with this team. I like the playoff win high points better. Hopeful we are going to get there with continued roster growth.
This draft is for 2019 when Calais/Malik/Church/Parnell are gone.
(04-30-2018, 12:58 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]When you draft rookies who don't "start" that usually means your roster is pretty talented.

Or your draft was very bad, or a combination of the two.

I believe it's that the roster is good, but it'll take years to properly evaluate.
(04-30-2018, 12:10 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]1. Chark will probably start a game sometime this season.
3. On average, two starters will get injured before the season. One of them may play a position where we have a draft pick. Bryan can play 3T (Jackson) and LE (Campbell). Harrison is (presumably) the #1 backup at both strong and free safety. There are three WR positions and four OL positions, making 11 positions total where an injury can be filled by one of the top four draft picks.

The Jags roster was solid going into the draft. There are not many positions where a late 1st round pick would be an immediate upgrade. That's a good thing!

Harrison is basically Cyp. Even in his interview he explained he's more of a strong, in-the-box S.

I'm expecting him to strictly learn from and backup Church with Jerrod Wilson taking over as the backup FS. 

(04-30-2018, 12:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Bryan will rotate in.

It's certainly possible that Richardson could win the start over Cann. I'm thinking that's a heated battle between a few players... Cann, Richardson. "Big Tonee" Adams, and a couple other lesser known vets on the roster.  Avery Gennesy and Christopher Reed are also on the roster.
I think Richardson, chark, Cooke, and Jacobs all have a decent shot of starting game 1 but also wouldn't be surprised if none of them start a game until/if injuries become a factor.
I think that for the most part your overall success on the field is a sum of how good your last 4-5 draft classes are. You use Free Agency to fill in the gaps.

We NEED our top 4 picks (Bryan, Chark, Harrison, and Richardson) to be the core of the team over the next 4-5 years... and I think they all have GREAT mentors to learn their position in 2018, and are expected to start in 2019.

I would like to see all 4 take over at some point in 2018, but its ok if they don't.

We were incredibly lucky with injuries last year on defense... that's not normal... In all likelihood all 4 will be needed at some point due to an injury.
The question is somewhat flawed. The question is, how many players projected to be long-term starters. The reality is that with the exception of a few positions like running back what cornerback most players take one to two years to develop into the player they're going to be anyway.
If the expectation here is that you're going to have to rely on multiple rookies to step in as starters out of the gate, you're conceding that the team is so bad that they might as well get the playing time / experience to develop as players. That was the reality for this team early on with Caldwell. The roster today is a completely different animal. Rookies will compete for playing time against quality starters at almost every position, so the odds of rookies stepping in as starters seems a little unlikely, but the rookies who do make the roster will no doubt get some pretty significant playing time. I think your top 3 picks will all be contributors this year for sure. I also think that if Cooke can show he's close to what Nortman is as a punter, he ends up being your most likely rookie "starter" this year.
(04-29-2018, 11:53 PM)JagswinJagswin Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen articles on how wonderful the Jags did in the draft. I've seen people posting how much they Loved/Hated the Jags draft. My only question is, barring injury or a trade did they draft anyone that will start next year? Anyone that is better than the starter that is currently on the roster? If not, is this normal? How often do teams have entire draft classes that don't get a single starter the next year?

Lol..... kind of wish we sucked again.   Oh, the good ole days when the 22 year old draft picks were better than your 27-30 year old starters sure was sweet.  The Steelers & Patriots didn't know of all the fun they were missing during our Gene Smith era.
(04-30-2018, 10:37 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]If the expectation here is that you're going to have to rely on multiple rookies to step in as starters out of the gate, you're conceding that the team is so bad that they might as well get the playing time / experience to develop as players.  That was the reality for this team early on with Caldwell.  The roster today is a completely different animal.  Rookies will compete  for playing time against quality starters at almost every position, so the odds of rookies stepping in as starters seems a little unlikely, but the rookies who do make the roster will no doubt get some pretty significant playing time.  I think your top 3 picks will all be contributors this year for sure.  I also think that if Cooke can show he's close to what Nortman is as a punter, he ends up being your most likely rookie "starter" this year.

Agree... better yet... I would like to see three stages of team development:

* Stage 1: Drafting rookies that will start right away bc they are basically filling a void in your team.
* Stage 2: Drafting BAP's that will compete with and learn from talented veterans and eventually take their place within a year. 
* Stage 3: We are so stacked at every position with talent that we can afford to trade down for future draft picks so that every year we have multiple 1st and 2nd rounders because other teams are making really bad deals with us to address immediate needs... because every year they pick based on immediate need instead of BAP.

We are in stage 2
Nortman's out - Cooke's in.

That was easy.
(04-30-2018, 07:45 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018, 12:10 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]1. Chark will probably start a game sometime this season.
3. On average, two starters will get injured before the season. One of them may play a position where we have a draft pick. Bryan can play 3T (Jackson) and LE (Campbell). Harrison is (presumably) the #1 backup at both strong and free safety....
Harrison is basically Cyp. Even in his interview he explained he's more of a strong, in-the-box S.

I'm expecting him to strictly learn from and backup Church with Jerrod Wilson taking over as the backup FS. 

(04-30-2018, 12:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Bryan will rotate in.

It's certainly possible that Richardson could win the start over Cann. I'm thinking that's a heated battle between a few playersf... Cann, Richardson. "Big Tonee" Adams, and a couple other lesser known vets on the roster.  Avery Gennesy and Christopher Reed are also on the roster.

Harrison is better than Cyp right out of the gate IMO, both in the box and in coverage.  While playing the box may be his strongsuit - his coverage skills aren't terrible and he won't get beat over the middle as routinely as Cyp did here. 

At FS - don't forget Cody Davis is in the mix to back-up. I wouldn't assume Wilson has that locked down. ST contribution may decide that Davis stays and Wilson moves on by the end of camp.  (Don Carey is in that mix too)

The RG thing will be something to watch carefully throughout the offseason and pre-season. While I doubt there is actually any real competition behind Cann and Richardson there, those guys you mention will probably see plenty of work with the twos and threes.  Though, I think they like Gennesy outside, perhaps he'll see a look a guard. Who knows?
Pages: 1 2