Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: National Anthem playing in Sports Bars, etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just curious.  Why doesn't anyone stand up and honor our flag & country in sports bars when the national anthem is playing prior to sporting events.  While I don't stand up, I usually at least remain silent and kind of get annoyed when people acknowledge the anthem then continue to talk over it as if it's a commercial.  

Is it time to change our tradition and show honor to the US at anytime that our national anthem is playing (or am I just getting old and grumpy) -- ha !!
I've seen folks do it.
I usually kneel while it plays, no matter where I am.
I miss getting out of bed every night to stand at attention at 3am when the CBS affiliate would end their broadcast day!
Just maybe the grade school can go back to the Pledge of Allegiance of the United States
I wouldn't mind but musically it's one of the worst anthems in the world.

Can't hold a candle to Flower Of Scotland or Land of our fathers.
(04-30-2018, 03:46 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't mind but musically it's one of the worst anthems in the world.  

Can't hold a candle to Flower Of Scotland or Land of our fathers.

Flower of Scotland is so pointless it hurts.

Mostly all anthems are craptastic. Look no further than Canada.
(04-30-2018, 03:46 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]musically it's one of the worst anthems in the world.  

Oh god, you've done it now.
I mean, we sing the first stanza of a poem which, loosely paraphrased, says "Did we win? I can't tell."
(04-30-2018, 11:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious.  Why doesn't anyone stand up and honor our flag & country in sports bars when the national anthem is playing prior to sporting events.  While I don't stand up, I usually at least remain silent and kind of get annoyed when people acknowledge the anthem then continue to talk over it as if it's a commercial.  

Is it time to change our tradition and show honor to the US at anytime that our national anthem is playing (or am I just getting old and grumpy) -- ha !!

I personally have stood with my hand over my heart in a sports bar when it is playing.  I have seen other people do it as well.  I guess it comes down to a personal values kind of thing.
(04-30-2018, 11:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Is it time to change our tradition and show honor to the US at anytime that our national anthem is playing (or am I just getting old and grumpy) -- ha !!

Forced displays of patriotism cued simply by an audio clip? Little Rocket Man would be so proud.

(04-30-2018, 11:59 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]I miss getting out of bed every night to stand at attention at 3am when the CBS affiliate would end their broadcast day!

I miss getting out of bed at 3:00 AM on Saturday mornings as a kid, but that's more because basic cable hadn't quite figured out how to reliably scramble the boobie channel's signal.
I never stand for the national anthem. And I never will
(04-30-2018, 01:10 PM)13Coronas Wrote: [ -> ]Just maybe the grade school can go back to the  Pledge of Allegiance of the United States
They still do. Never stopped.
(04-30-2018, 11:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious.  Why doesn't anyone stand up and honor our flag & country in sports bars when the national anthem is playing prior to sporting events.  While I don't stand up, I usually at least remain silent and kind of get annoyed when people acknowledge the anthem then continue to talk over it as if it's a commercial.  

I have always stood at games but im not necessarily sure it was because i was in some deep solute mode. i think it was just because it was the status quo at the time. Don't get me wrong i am a huge history buff and have massive amounts of respect for our armed forces and the history of this nation but the nation anthem, at least to me, isn't how i intentionally show this. It is sort of like the pledge of allegiance that i had to say everyday in class. I didn't think about what i was saying, i just said it cause everyone else did and it was kind of a butthole move if you didn't. However, i do think intentionally doing the reverse to prove a point is a slap in the face of vets and people of that realm.

on a side note: the national anthem fergie delivered would make kaepernick stand up.... even if was to walk out LMBO.
(04-30-2018, 07:17 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]I never stand for the national anthem. And I never will

That dull thud you just heard was Ronster's head exploding.
(04-30-2018, 10:18 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018, 07:17 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]I never stand for the national anthem. And I never will

That dull thud you just heard was Ronster's head exploding.

I just assumed Rollerjag couldn't.
(04-30-2018, 07:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018, 01:10 PM)13Coronas Wrote: [ -> ]Just maybe the grade school can go back to the  Pledge of Allegiance of the United States
They still do. Never stopped.

Really I suppose it was spoken about and not enacted then
(05-01-2018, 08:46 AM)13Coronas Wrote: [ -> ]Well I can see
https://www.factcheck.org/2016/09/obama-...he-pledge/

I fell for it

There have been schools here and there that have stopped, but they usually hit the news and are blasted for it, then reverse stance pretty quickly.
Unless it's being live and I'm there I don't really stand. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate or pay attention to it, it's just different when its on tv.
Pages: 1 2 3