Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: More businesses are mellowing out over hiring pot smokers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I Posted this in Political because I Know it will become Political

More businesses are mellowing out over hiring pot smokers

FPI Management, a property company in California, wants to hire dozens of people. Factories from New Hampshire to Michigan need workers. Hotels in Las Vegas are desperate to fill jobs.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...2-15-31-59
Our standards are so high today, we'll just start passing out bongs as participation trophies.
(05-03-2018, 10:41 AM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]Our standards are so high today, we'll just start passing out bongs as participation trophies.

Go out after 10pm on a Thursday night and you'll find countless people doing shots and then driving home, only to wake up on Friday to go to work (hungover).

I haven't taken a hit in 30 years due to my career but I must admit that getting high and eating a bag of chips would have probably been less self destructive to my body and more productive in the work force than extending happy hour until 2am, only to stumble into work the next day .... back in my younger days
I'm no prude, so don't get me wrong. Just about every kitchen in every restaurant is home to recreational users (or more serious.)

I also believe what people do in their own homes are their business.

But failing drug tests are a measure of how responsible/reliable someone is regardless of their personal lives. You waive that and you've lowered standards beyond what the market will accept, as service/production is certain to drop.

Regardless, the market I believe would correct itself. I don't think that "trend" would be more than a short-lived disaster.

And yes - I also agree that alcoholism has destroyed as many lives and families as likely any drug. That's another topic, and a valid one worthy of discussion.

I think the common thread is responsibility and responsible use. Dropping drug screenings and/or dropping particular drugs from the screen list I don't believe gives employers more responsible applicants.

If you're looking for a job to feed your family and can't stay clean enough for a single pre-employment screening, I'm sorry but you're just not reliable. You've got other things that are more important to you than feeding your own children.
Drug tests are totally and completely useless.

There is a counter for every one.

I've never failed a drug test and I've never not been high during those tests.
It will now be considered proper etiquette to address prospective employers as “Dude” during job interviews.
(05-03-2018, 04:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]It will now be considered proper etiquette to address prospective employers as “Dude” during job interviews.

The Dude abides.
I actually had a chat a couple of weeks ago with two of my aunts who live in Colorado about the nasty blowback of pot being legalized there. They both said it's ruining everything from the job market to the housing market. The Russian mob has moved into the outlying areas of bigger towns and cities; the money the pot shops can't deposit their money into federally backed banks or credit unions so they take all that cash and buy up property/houses/land and resell it or rent it for outrageous prices; people can't pass drug tests so they lose their jobs and end up in state assistance; people flood into the state for the pot but can't afford the housing, can't pass drug tests. Basically they don't come with a plan and just wing it. Companies are having a hard time filling positions because folks fail drug tests. 

No matter if it's legalized federally if private companies won't allow employees to smoke. If companies allow employees to smoke but it's not legal at the state of federal level, it doesn't matter. Unless everyone gets in the same page one way or another folks will always be looking over their shoulder.
What I got from this is Adam2012 no longer has an excuse to be unemployed.
(05-04-2018, 08:09 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]What I got from this is Adam2012 no longer has an excuse to be unemployed.

I don't blame you for being embarrassed. It's clear you "work" for Daddy (your mom required you get out of the house) and thus are able to be on here 24/7.

Your "job" is the one done by the kids on the short bus, so at least you are in your element.

Now I understand why you are insecure - and your political affiliation. But hang in there, Mom and Dad will continue to support you.
(05-03-2018, 11:18 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I actually had a chat a couple of weeks ago with two of my aunts who live in Colorado about the nasty blowback of pot being legalized there. They both said it's ruining everything from the job market to the housing market. The Russian mob has moved into the outlying areas of bigger towns and cities; the money the pot shops can't deposit their money into federally backed banks or credit unions so they take all that cash and buy up property/houses/land and resell it or rent it for outrageous prices; people can't pass drug tests so they lose their jobs and end up in state assistance; people flood into the state for the pot but can't afford the housing, can't pass drug tests. Basically they don't come with a plan and just wing it. Companies are having a hard time filling positions because folks fail drug tests. 

No matter if it's legalized federally if private companies won't allow employees to smoke. If companies allow employees to smoke but it's not legal at the state of federal level, it doesn't matter. Unless everyone gets in the same page one way or another folks will always be looking over their shoulder.

That’s interesting. I had heard about problems but not the entire panoply of what exactly they were. What’s up with the Russian mob? Are they in the pot business now?
(05-04-2018, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2018, 11:18 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I actually had a chat a couple of weeks ago with two of my aunts who live in Colorado about the nasty blowback of pot being legalized there. They both said it's ruining everything from the job market to the housing market. The Russian mob has moved into the outlying areas of bigger towns and cities; the money the pot shops can't deposit their money into federally backed banks or credit unions so they take all that cash and buy up property/houses/land and resell it or rent it for outrageous prices; people can't pass drug tests so they lose their jobs and end up in state assistance; people flood into the state for the pot but can't afford the housing, can't pass drug tests. Basically they don't come with a plan and just wing it. Companies are having a hard time filling positions because folks fail drug tests. 

That’s interesting. I had heard about problems but not the entire panoply of what exactly they were. What’s up with the Russian mob? Are they in the pot business now?

It's money laundering that they're into.
The archetypal pothead/burn out is few and far in between, the drunks are more noticeable in the work place the the weed smokers
(05-04-2018, 10:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2018, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]That’s interesting. I had heard about problems but not the entire panoply of what exactly they were. What’s up with the Russian mob? Are they in the pot business now?

It's money laundering that they're into.

Exactly. 

My cousin and her husband and two kids live on a ranch out there and they've noticed an uptick of people moving into and out of ranches in their area that are for sale (so they're squatting.) They grow weed in the barns and when law enforcement catches wind of it and the folks know they know, they get the heck out of dodge. 

Or someone will buy a ranch and grow weed in the barns. They get caught when the water bill suddenly skyrockets from normal usage over the decades. The water company alerts LEOs and they go in and clean house. 

It was a fascinating conversation with my aunts. They've both lived in CO their whole lives (so about 61 years. One in a suburb of Denver and the other east of Colorado Springs) and they said it's unreal the things that are being affected. My uncle still lives on the family ranch out in the middle of nowhere, SE of the Springs. He works for the county and sees some crazy stuff too.
I think it depends on the job. I know I'm actively working to not hire techs that smoke pot. Say what you want but it's hard to motivate habitual pot smokers to work hard manual labor in the blistering heat.
I certainly want drug testing for first responders, physicians, cops and the like.
I couldn't care less if the service industry hires these fog heads, but letting these people manufacturer actual products is an issue. Hell, as the great Judge Smails once said, "The world needs ditch diggers too".
When I worked in restaurants, almost every employee smoked pot, from the dishwashers to the head manager. Later I worked in hospitals and was surprised to learn drug use AT WORK was just as bad as the restaurant industry, if not worse. The nurses and lab techs had a regular rooftop smoke-out and several nurses were hooked on opiates.
Don't underestimate the number of doctors, nurses, teachers, and lawyers that smoke!
(05-05-2018, 11:20 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]Don't underestimate the number of doctors, nurses, teachers, and lawyers that smoke!

Mainly audiologists because they say “‘ere” a lot.

I’ll show myself out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5