Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Did you know Telvin had 100 tackles every year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking at Telvin Smith's stat line for his career and it is mind blowing for a 5th round pick.

He is poised to have 5 straight years with 100 tackles or more. He also has 7 career int's. 

Also 2 defensive TDs. (It seems like he has like 5 TDs).

What a stud at LB.
No I did not know. Thanks
Telvin is legit. If he can win a ring, add another all pro or 2 and another pro bowl or 2 and he can produce those number for another 4 year, I would expect him to be a HOFer.
Not to rain on your parade but I believe tackles are not an officially tracked NFL stat. They differ between the different outlets that track them. IIRC Bob Sanders at one point had more tackles in a season than the clots had defensive plays.

Not to downplay Telvin's contribution to the defense but just going by stats is not really a well supported argument in this case.
He also has 6.5 sacks. If he can get to the 20/20 club...hes gonna be in rare company: only 15 in NFL History have done it.
His big plays are even more impressive than his tackles, which as someone else was hinting at varies depending on how they are tracked. Teams go through the tape to get the precise tackle counts for their players, and their tackle numbers almost always differ than what nfl.com shows.

This is his overall after four years so just divide by 4 to get his yearly average...
  • Telvin Smith, 60 games (53 starts), 452 tackles (345 solo, 107 ast), 6 1/2 sacks, 24 PDs, 7 INTs (97 yards, 2 TDs), 4 FFs, 5 FRs (52 yards, 1 TD)
  • post season: 35 tackles (31 solo, 4 assists), 3 PDs,  1 FF, 1 FR
I see the OP watched the top 100. They mentioned he has the record for tackles for the JAGS for the first 4 years as a player since being drafted.
Nope, sure didnt.

I looked at his stats, as the posts says.
Did you know that [BLEEP] had 162 tackles in one year and also avg over 100 tackles per year for his career. 100 tackles per year for a 16 game season should be pretty much expected in the NFL for a starting lb.
why is Gamora
(05-19-2018, 05:15 AM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]Did you know that [BLEEP] had 162 tackles in one year and also avg over 100 tackles per year for his career.  100 tackles per year for a 16 game season should be pretty much expected in the NFL for a starting lb.

Agreed,150 tackles is impressive, but if your MLB isn't hitting 100 at least, he isn't doing his job.
If they are in 3 WR sets then its tough to hit those numbers. Poz was a machine. But he never splashed. He was like Rick Fox of basketball.
(05-21-2018, 06:46 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]If they are in 3 WR sets then its tough to hit those numbers. Poz was a machine. But he never splashed. He was like Rick Fox of basketball.

Poz was a much better football player than Rick Fox was a basketball player
Telvin Smith was a tackling machine at FSU. It was obvious to me at least that he would turn out to be the player he is in the NFL (and I'm not an FSU fan). He probably fell due to his failed drug test at the combine along with his low weight for a LB. A lot of well-paid and experienced GMs missed on a player who I thought should have been drafted in the top half of the 2nd round.