Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Question about Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not disagreeing about anything, I'm just confused on something. I always hear that the 3 top receivers are listed as Lee, Moncrief and Cole.

What about Westbrook? Why do people say that Cole is already a better receiver than Westbrook at this point? Especially when Cole went undrafted and Westbrook was possibly a 2nd round pick? Again, I'm not disagreeing with it...I'm just more confused when Cole overtook Westbrook as the better receiver in everyone's eyes? I know Westbrook was injured most of the year last year but they both came in at the same time and you would assume Westbrook's ceiling is higher, no?

Just looking for clarification on if I missed something...thanks!
(07-29-2018, 10:26 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not disagreeing about anything, I'm just confused on something. I always hear that the 3 top receivers are listed as Lee, Moncrief and Cole.

What about Westbrook? Why do people say that Cole is already a better receiver than Westbrook at this point? Especially when Cole went undrafted and Westbrook was possibly a 2nd round pick? Again, I'm not disagreeing with it...I'm just more confused when Cole overtook Westbrook as the better receiver in everyone's eyes? I know Westbrook was injured most of the year last year but they both came in at the same time and you would assume Westbrook's ceiling is higher, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOx1B3HwysQ

(07-29-2018, 10:26 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not disagreeing about anything, I'm just confused on something. I always hear that the 3 top receivers are listed as Lee, Moncrief and Cole.

An interesting question.

The media seemed to pick up on that, when they noticed that Cole was given a pretty high spot on the post practice podium rotation-usually reserved for higher profile players.

Perhaps Cole's performance last year and in this offseason elevated him to that status.

FLGatorsjags hit the nail on the head with his post.  No matter how you slice it, 7-186 against the Texans is impressive.
Thanks guys. And yeah, I definitely remember those games that Keelan Cole was outstanding...I just thought that because Dede Westbrook didn't get a full season and he had a higher ceiling it would be a closer race. Just had me confused why most places I see seemed to have Cole a shoe-in over Westbrook.

Sorry if it was a dumb question and topic, I apologize.
(07-29-2018, 12:51 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys. And yeah, I definitely remember those games that Keelan Cole was outstanding...I just thought that because Dede Westbrook didn't get a full season and he had a higher ceiling it would be a closer race. Just had me confused why most places I see seemed to have Cole a shoe-in over Westbrook.

Whoa there dude.

Not a dumb question AT ALL and certainly no need to apologize!

Apologies if I somehow made you feel in any way belittled for the question!

I am still uncertain how the receivers will shake out.  I have questions about Westbrook too.
(07-29-2018, 01:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-29-2018, 12:51 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys. And yeah, I definitely remember those games that Keelan Cole was outstanding...I just thought that because Dede Westbrook didn't get a full season and he had a higher ceiling it would be a closer race. Just had me confused why most places I see seemed to have Cole a shoe-in over Westbrook.

Whoa there dude.

Not a dumb question AT ALL and certainly no need to apologize!

Apologies if I somehow made you feel in any way belittled for the question!

I am still uncertain how the receivers will shake out.  I have questions about Westbrook too.

Thanks bud but I didn't mean you! I just figured in my mind it might be a dumb question based off flgatorsandjags' quick response of Cole's outbreak game from last year Big Grin
Not a dumb question was just showing you why. I honestly think Cole and Westbrook are our top 2 WR. I think they should both be on the field. Westbrook hasn't had that breakout game like Cole has had yet but I think its coming
(07-29-2018, 01:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Not a dumb question was just showing you why. I honestly think Cole and Westbrook are our top 2 WR. I think they should both be on the field. Westbrook hasn't had that breakout game like Cole has had yet but I think its coming

Thanks bro! Good point and I agree. I just found it surprising how almost every place I look doesn't have Westbrook in the "top receiver" mix.
Dang it, why did I click on that Youtube link? I got sucked into watching several highlight videos of last season. I had forgotten how ugly that Buffalo game was.

Remember that one Buffalo fan who kept popping up on our MB to piss and moan for more than a week after the game until Bullseye told him to go home? What an oddly troubled fan base.
Honestly, I am finding it extremely difficult to care about our WR corps this year. That's probably not worded right, but I don't know how to phrase it better.

Moncrief/Chark and Lee/Cole/Westbrook seem virtually interchangeable to me. As long as one of Moncrief or Chark is at X I really think it doesn't matter who or where we line up anyone else. I think the talent levels and skill sets are all very similar will lead to extremely similar results.

I do care/hope/pray that 3 of them are out there a whole lot more than last year, but that's a point that has been beaten to death by now.
(07-29-2018, 01:42 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I am finding it extremely difficult to care about our WR corps this year. That's probably not worded right, but I don't know how to phrase it better.

Moncrief/Chark and Lee/Cole/Westbrook seem virtually interchangeable to me. As long as one of Moncrief or Chark is at X I really think it doesn't matter who or where we line up anyone else. I think the talent levels and skill sets are all very similar will lead to extremely similar results.

I do care/hope/pray that 3 of them are out there a whole lot more than last year, but that's a point that has been beaten to death by now.

Like most of us, you're unconcerned with how our WRs shake out because we're so deep in that position. We can even trot out Mickens if needed. Lots of capable and eager hands to catch. Let's hope the man who fills them has progressed to another level.
(07-29-2018, 01:42 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I am finding it extremely difficult to care about our WR corps this year. That's probably not worded right, but I don't know how to phrase it better.

(07-29-2018, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

Like most of us, you're unconcerned with how our WRs shake out because we're so deep in that position. We can even trot out Mickens if needed. Lots of capable and eager hands to catch. Let's hope the man who fills them has progressed to another level.

Sounds about right.
(07-29-2018, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

Not just that it's deep, but I don't see much difference at all between the top and bottom. You could literally tell me we have Moncrief at X, Lee at Z, and Cole in the slot, or that we have Chark at X, Westbrook at Z, and Lee in the slot and you'll get a big shruggy face from me either way.
(07-29-2018, 01:54 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-29-2018, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Like most of us, you're unconcerned with how our WRs shake out because we're so deep in that position. We can even trot out Mickens if needed. Lots of capable and eager hands to catch. Let's hope the man who fills them has progressed to another level.

Not just that it's deep, but I don't see much difference at all between the top and bottom. You could literally tell me we have Moncrief at X, Lee at Z, and Cole in the slot, or that we have Chark at X, Westbrook at Z, and Lee in the slot and you'll get a big shruggy face from me either way.

Not purely attributable to talent, either. That's the capabilities of Mr. Keenan McCardell on display, right there. When Jerry Sullivan left, I thought we were doomed. Fate smiled upon us.
I think we have three WRs vying for the no1, in order: Cole, Moncrief, then Chark. I see Lee as the no2 and Dede in the slot.
Not comparing myself to a pro scout at all, but I played QB in high school and as a QB I can tell you that Bortles probably likes something different in each receiver. Cole is our burner, dude can fly. Lee is a gritty receiver that will catch those McCardell type routes across the middle. Westbrook is a guy that can emerge as a stud receiver with his quickness and his take off speed. If I'm Blake, I would be working on my timing and chemistry during the preseason. Moncrief has some talent but maybe their scheme didn't fit his skill set.

To me Westbrook is the best of the group. Cole is my deep guy, when he is on the line, you just have to respect his wheels. And Lee has become the volume leader as of now.

It's anybody's race and the preseason will be fun to see who wants it the most.

I'm dying for Westbrook to show us what he has.
I would think that Lee, Cole, Westbrook and Moncrief will all be vying to become Blake's number 1 receiver. Although not a true number 1 has emerged as of yet, I really like the competition at this position. Also, if one or even 2 of these guys get hurt, there won't be much of a drop-off with their replacement. Chark is an unknown as of yet, but his deep speed also brings another potential weapon to the offense.
(07-29-2018, 03:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Not comparing myself to a pro scout at all, but I played AN in high school and as a QB I can tell you that Bortles probably likes something different in each receiver. Cole is our burner, dude can fly. Lee is a gritty receiver that will catch those McCardell type routes across the middle. Westbrook is a guy that can emerge as a stud receiver with his quickness and his take off speed. If I'm Blake, I would be working on my timing and chemistry during the preseason. Moncrief has some talent but maybe their scheme didn't fit his skill set.

I don't think you need to be a QB to notice that; all you need to do is watch last season. How many times did Hackett send Lee deep for an incompletion vs sending Cole deep for a huge gain? I can't remember which playoff game it was, but I remember Bortles threw about 3 deep balls to Lee that all fell incomplete. First deep ball to Cole was a huge gain and momentum shift. Comparatively, how many times did Blake look for Lee on those mid-to-long third down passes vs other receivers when Lee was playing? (I have to edit this because it sounds super condescending. I didn't mean "you don't need to be a QB" to attack you, but to agree with your point.)

I kinda like how you saw a main-use for the 4 returning WR's on the team last year: Cole deep; Lee gritty short-mid middle field catches; Westbrook the athletic mid-deep catches; and Mickens the short catches for YAC. Obviously they all did more than just these types of catches (especially given the carousel of receivers that were playing and injured), but it felt like Blake was more comfortable throwing certain types of passes to specific receivers. In a game of chess, like football, there's nothing wrong with role-players like that. I just hope one of Chark, Westbrook, or Cole becomes a complete WR who can do it all, consistently.

On the topic of Cole specifically though, I've got Cole towards the top of the depth chart just because he's the only guy who's been able to catch the home-thrown throw from Blake consistently, so far. Maybe that changes this pre-season and season, especially with Chark on the roster and Westbrook having more time to develop. But for now, until someone can flip a field like Cole does, as consistently as Cole does, he's gotta be on the field, in my opinion.
Dede was amazing in the preseason. But so was Cole. So when Dede got injured, they relied on Cole and he showed up
Pages: 1 2