Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Leon Jacobs Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This 7th round rookie has done nothing but impress thus far and we're all watching him pretty closely to see if that holds true. 

Here's a thread to monitor his progress. 

And a link to Myles Jack complimenting him: 
http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...en-awesome

Quote:"Leon has been awesome," Jack said. "No. 1, he knows what he's doing. That's the coolest thing. Coach [Collins] will ask him a question in meetings and he'll be spot-on, no hesitation. So Leon is very bright, very intelligent. You can tell he goes home and he studies at night. He looks the part, so, very excited to see what ends up happening with him.

"... Not only is he in the classroom showing it, but he's on the field executing. He's very far ahead. He's further ahead than I was."
Hes been a beast so far. An absolute steal at this point. How does a 7th round guy come in and start on arguably the best defense in the league? It's crazy.
Not to hijack the thread, but speaking of Myles Jack, I've barely heard his named mentioned through the two preseason games.
And he wiffed hard on a tackle the other day...

Jacobs has been a beast thus far.
We got the best dline in the world

We have the fastest LBs in the world as a unit

And we have the best CB tandem in the world

Sacksonville#
I can't wait to see him play in games that actually count. This kid has a lot of potential. He and Richardson were my favorite Jags' draft picks this year.
(08-21-2018, 02:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Hes been a beast so far. An absolute steal at this point. How does a 7th round guy come in and start on arguably the best defense in the league? It's crazy.

To be fair, LB was probably the only glaring hole going into this year with Poz retiring, depth is still a concern, but it will be nice if this guy pans out and from top to bottom this defense is loaded with studs at virtually every spot, down to rotational guys on defense. It'll make this team that much harder to beat when the games start to count.
(08-21-2018, 02:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Hes been a beast so far. An absolute steal at this point. How does a 7th round guy come in and start on arguably the best defense in the league? It's crazy.

Yeah, that's what I don't get at all.  How does a 7th rounder walk right in and start from day one on the best defense in the league?   That's just really weird.   I've heard of first rounders getting inserted into the lineup immediately, but a 7th rounder?   On a defense that reads like a pro bowl roster?    That is very strange.
(08-22-2018, 05:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah, that's what I don't get at all.  How does a 7th rounder walk right in and start from day one on the best defense in the league?   That's just really weird.   I've heard of first rounders getting inserted into the lineup immediately, but a 7th rounder?   On a defense that reads like a pro bowl roster?    That is very strange.

The kid had all kinds of talent, but the Badgers were loaded at the linebacker position and Jacobs battled some injuries in college that made teams overlook him. He was essentially a one year starter, who played backup ILB and then started at OLB in a 3-4 system. It wasn't the ideal scheme fit for him, but he showed promise. Just looking at his workout numbers, you could tell he was athletic. Once he was completely healthy, he got some real NFL coaching and was used in a system he was more suited to, he began to shine.
(08-21-2018, 02:51 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]We got the best dline in the world

We have the fastest LBs in the world as a unit

And we have the best CB tandem in the world

Sacksonville#

Viva Dave Caldwell.
I saw an article written today on BBC about him. He is a rookie, TBD. Looks promising though.

He was drafted in the same round as Tanner Lee
(08-21-2018, 01:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]This 7th round rookie has done nothing but impress thus far and we're all watching him pretty closely to see if that holds true. 

Here's a thread to monitor his progress. 

And a link to Myles Jack complimenting him: 
http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...en-awesome

Quote:"Leon has been awesome," Jack said. "No. 1, he knows what he's doing. That's the coolest thing. Coach [Collins] will ask him a question in meetings and he'll be spot-on, no hesitation. So Leon is very bright, very intelligent. You can tell he goes home and he studies at night. He looks the part, so, very excited to see what ends up happening with him.

"... Not only is he in the classroom showing it, but he's on the field executing. He's very far ahead. He's further ahead than I was."

The reviews are raving for sure. From what I've seen of him, he could be a guy that falls behind once the process speeds up to NFL tempo. If he can keep pace...rookies tend to hit a wall at some point of the regular season.
You don't fall behind at SLB.... Leon is a natural... hes going to be a beast.
I hope they stick with Jacobs and use him like they have been. The dude is sneaky good at getting to the QB. Needs to improve at holding the edge. One of my favorite new dudes though. Hope he sticks!
(08-22-2018, 06:06 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2018, 05:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, that's what I don't get at all.  How does a 7th rounder walk right in and start from day one on the best defense in the league?   That's just really weird.   I've heard of first rounders getting inserted into the lineup immediately, but a 7th rounder?   On a defense that reads like a pro bowl roster?    That is very strange.

The kid had all kinds of talent, but the Badgers were loaded at the linebacker position and Jacobs battled some injuries in college that made teams overlook him. He was essentially a one year starter, who played backup ILB and then started at OLB in a 3-4 system. It wasn't the ideal scheme fit for him, but he showed promise. Just looking at his workout numbers, you could tell he was athletic. Once he was completely healthy, he got some real NFL coaching and was used in a system he was more suited to, he began to shine.

To me, it has more to do with the fact that he has the ability to play the LB role "on the line" rather than "stacked. Just for giggles, think about a LB playing on the line and try to not let it melt your brain. Anyway, Blair Brown is a decent football player but he played mostly MIKE or a "stacked" LB in college. It's what he has been trained at. Jacobs has experience Outside so the position is just a better fit for him.

Again, it's more about the developed skill set he has being a better fit for the specific role rather than him being more talented than those around him.
(08-23-2018, 04:00 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]You don't fall behind at SLB.... Leon is a natural... hes going to be a beast.

My concern is when the coaches start clapping their hands and chattering "pick up the pace" chiding the veterans to bring practices up to game speed. College players ALL believe college football is fast and the NFL is full of a bunch of old grads grazing in a professional pasture.  What Jacobs is about to find out, and every rookie finds out, is the NFL is much faster than college football. Things happen at a much greater pace in the pros.
(08-23-2018, 10:44 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2018, 04:00 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]You don't fall behind at SLB.... Leon is a natural... hes going to be a beast.

My concern is when the coaches start clapping their hands and chattering "pick up the pace" chiding the veterans to bring practices up to game speed. College players ALL believe college football is fast and the NFL is full of a bunch of old grads grazing in a professional pasture.  What Jacobs is about to find out, and every rookie finds out, is the NFL is much faster than college football. Things happen at a much greater pace in the pros.

Can you imagine there's any conceivable chance that Jacobs hasn't heard this already from a dozen coaches and veteran players over the past year?  

Or maybe he's never turned on a television and watched a single episode of something pertaining to pro football where this mantra is repeated ad infinitum? 

I think he's up to speed on this one. And sure, he may hit the rookie wall, but he looks like he's a step ahead of the game right now and that's encouraging.
Wait.... rookies aren't aware that the NFL is fast?!?!
(08-23-2018, 11:00 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Wait.... rookies aren't aware that the NFL is fast?!?!

No.

In fact, none of us are aware of anything until someone a lot more tuned in than us tells us things. To be honest, I can't even imagine how I figured out how to turn on this computer!
(08-23-2018, 11:49 AM)Deacon Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2018, 11:00 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Wait.... rookies aren't aware that the NFL is fast?!?!

No.

In fact, none of us are aware of anything until someone a lot more tuned in than us tells us things. To be honest, I can't even imagine how I figured out how to turn on this computer!

You have a computer??
Pages: 1 2 3