Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: There should only be two long-term plans for Dante Fowler moving forward
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
1. Stay at 250 Lbs and play a hybrid linebacker role, similar to how Seattle used Bruce Irvin in the OTTO position, a guy that can set the edge, rush the passer, drop in coverage etc..., this takes advantage of Dante's athletic versatility, which is his greatest strength. 

2. Bulk back up to 270+ Lbs (he was 277 at UF) and play the "Michael Bennett" role (Bennett is 272 Lbs) in Seattle defense. Bennett plays an edge-setting DE position in Seattle's base defense but kicks inside to rush the passer on obvious pass situations. Fowler (like Bennett) has already proven to be an elite run defender but (also like Bennett) lacks the requisite "bend/flexibility" to be an elite threat off the edge. Kicking him inside is a great way to maximize Fowler's rare combo of length, quickness, strength, and violence.I don't think he'd lose much in terms of athleticism at 270+ lbs, that size combined with his rare athletic traits is a nightmare for interior o-linemen, he's a guy that has the potential to be incredibly disruptive rushing from the inside. If I'm not mistaken, he rushed from the inside on occasion at UF as well.

Personally, I like the 2nd option, as Fowler's potential in the "Michael Bennett" role is simply though the roof, given the fact that he's more explosive than Bennett and just as strong. It also affords the Jags the opportunity to either draft or sign another (hopefully dominant) edge rusher, a guy like Chandler Jones would look great in a Jags uniform next year. Our obvious pass rush package would align like this, Jones, Jackson, Fowler, Ngakoue, that's a potentially nasty pass rush that has a chance (more often than not) to effect the QB while only rushing four.

I wish they would use Dante a little more creatively, I don't think they are maximizing him by just having him rush from the 9T. Maybe it is just me, but I feel like he rushes better in a 2pt stance and he also seems to get more pressure by rushing up the middle. I would like to see him moved all over the filed as a chess piece but what do I know?

I'd move Fowler to OTTO, once Jack is ready to take over inside. But this is all moot talk if Gus gets canned. Our scheme will change to something that utilizes all of the talent on the roster and gets all these guys on the field.

Regardless, Fowler has a ton of versatility and I think he can still develop into a good edge rusher. Just give him time.
Quote:I wish they would use Dante a little more creatively, I don't think they are maximizing him by just having him rush from the 9T. Maybe it is just me, but I feel like he rushes better in a 2pt stance and he also seems to get more pressure by rushing up the middle. I would like to see him moved all over the filed as a chess piece but what do I know?

Agreed, at 250 Lbs the guy is a chess piece, but isn't being utilized like one.
Did he play yesterday?
Quote:Did he play yesterday?

Yes, he was a contributing factor to the sack Ngakoue got I believe.
The way I see it.....   Stop trying to make our players into Seattle "roles" and "players".  We aren't going to recreate that defense.  Why draft a guy based on their athleticism and then try to change them?

This coaching staff would make it so much easier for me to believe if we stopped taking our roster (round peg) and trying to jam it into the Seattle mold (square hole).

lol the rookie has one below average game against a QB who gets the ball out fast and now he's not being utilized right.

He is bound to have good games and bad games everyone.

Fowler at Otto ngakoue at Leo sounds perfect
5 games in and we're switching his position?

Quote:The way I see it..... Stop trying to make our players into Seattle "roles" and "players". We aren't going to recreate that defense. Why draft a guy based on their athleticism and then try to change them?

This coaching staff would make it so much easier for me to believe if we stopped taking our roster (round peg) and trying to jam it into the Seattle mold (square hole).

Don't teams normally draft players to fit their scheme on defense???
Quote:5 games in and we're switching his position?

He will be a Tight End before you know it...
Yeah... my long term plan for Fowler is "don't go thinking you have him all figured out in 5 games." 

The DE position historically takes a while to figure out on the NFL level. Ngakoue's development is an outlier. 

Lots of first and second round picks at DE have looked average or worse going into their third season before the lights came on and the production started.  

Fowler needs development.  I don't doubt that he could play a LB role, but I don't think we know all that much about him as a pass rusher just yet. 

Quote:He will be a Tight End before you know it...

What's his throwing mechanics like?....
Fowler literally has only one move. If it doesnt work he doesn't try as hard. Watch closely.
Gus isn't smart enough to use Fowler. I figured when we drafted him he would be play strong side LB, some DE or even kick inside on obvious passing downs like he did at UF. He's a great chess piece, but Gus is over here playing Candy Land.
Like NYC said, none of us really have a clue what, or who Fowler is after only 5 games.

Also, to move Fowler to the OTTO spot would mean he's only going to be on the field for around 20-30% of the snaps, per game. Is that really how you think he needs to be used?

Some people are already complaining about Fowler after only 5 games. Could you imagine the tears that would be flowing if they moved our #3 overall draft pick into a position that's basically just an extra body on the edge to stop the run.

Quote:Fowler literally has only one move. If it doesnt work he doesn't try as hard. Watch closely.
Literally.
Key board coaches in full effect
Quote:5 games in and we're switching his position?

This
Pages: 1 2 3