Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Bears Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Football is a strange and great game.  More than any game in recent memory, I spent the overwhelming majority of the game pissed at the Jaguars, but when the dust settled and the smoke cleared, the Jaguars emerged victorious.  I still have mixed feelings, but I know I feel much better than I would have felt had the Jaguars lost.  My thoughts...

1.  Something must be done about the officiating.  From the phantom false start to the blatant no call on the PI on Julius Thomas, the abiding sense I got was that the WWE is providing the officials. I would have gone apoplectic had they upheld that PI against Amukumara.   As bad as those plays were, they weren't even the most egregious blown calls of the day.  The call of defensive pass interference on Dominique Rogers Cromartie against the Ravens, and the Seahawks no PI call against Julio Jones shocks the conscience of most observers.  Though I have done no surveys or seen the results of any surveys to tell me this, I submit the NFL tv ratings have dropped in part because fans are weary of the rotten, seemingly corrupt officiating.  The only saving grace, if there is any to be had, is that at least the Jaguars and the Giants were able to overcome those outrageous calls.  I know officials have a tough job given the countless tweaks and nuances to the rules and the speed of the game, but they can do better.  

2.  Watching the first offensive drive of the game for the Jaguars, given how banged up the Bears were defensively, I thought there was no way the Bears can keep up with us.  But then after Robinson bobbled what would have been a TD into the hands of Tracy Porter, the Jaguars had a painful display of offensive ineptitude reminiscent of some of the Henne low points.  I attribute part of it to coaching.  I am convinced Olsen's approach to offense is anathema to having any consistent ground game, and ultimately, any offensive consistency.  I think part of it is attributable to Bortles.  I don't know for sure, but it seems like he is pressing-almost aiming the ball-and having the opposite of the desired effect.  But in the 4th quarter, he looked like the Bortles that we saw the first two years.  I can only hope this 4th quarter come from behind win as a catalyst to an offensive renewal for him and the team overall.

3.  We have talented receivers, but yesterday's game was an uneven performance by the group.  Allen Robinson started that first drive in dominant fashion, but then disappeared for the rest of the game.  Hurns was absent from the offense most of the first half, took a couple of wicked hits in the first half, then his 25 yard catch sparked the rally.  Not impugning the toughness of anyone else on the team when I say this, but his performance after that hit shows why many feel Hurns is the toughest player on the team.  Marquise Lee has gotten a ton of criticism from coaches and fans for his inability to stay healthy.  This year, however, we've gotten a glimpse of what his capabilities are when he is healthy and getting in sync with Bortles. We haven't seen the long TD catches we hoped for, but he used his speed to convert a key first down.  I think Lee showing the ability to convert the routine will bode well for the offense in the future.  But I would be remiss if I didn't give a nod to Arrelious Benn.  Benn has had a hard luck NFL existence.  Yes, he was drafted in the second round, but has bounced from team to team because he could not stay healthy.  He even wound up on IR for us last year after a great camp performance.  But he had the game winning score as he beat the DB, had the presence of mind to realize he wasn't touched as he slipped, the athleticism to get up and score.  Hopefully that is a sign of things to come for him.

4.  I have to give kudos to the defense for a gritty performance.  For the most part, the team shut down the run very well, and at times even dominant against a strong interior three offensive line.  They  only started to wear down in the second half after no help from the offense.  I didn't see the kind of pass pressure I'd hoped, but at the end of the day, they kept the Bears within range and out of the end zone, and made the plays when needed.  I expect more good performances in the future.

5.  Continuing on defense, I thought the LBs-especially Poz and Telvin-played good games.  Poz was all over the place and was a key in that run defense.  Telvin Smith seemingly had another zone pass defense lapse, but overall played well.

6.  For the first time in a long time, we can consistently say special teams is a strength.  While I still cringe a little when Myers kicks, that reaction is less and less frequent, as he has displayed the consistency he desperately lacked last year.  Nortman has been outstanding for us thus far.  In fact, not that I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, but I think he has given us the best punting in this team's history when you factor in distance and accuracy.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Jalen Ramsey-A tale of two halves for him.  The first half, he was off to his worst day as a pro, as Jeffrey had a lot of success against him.  He had 6 catches for 90 yards in the first half, and Ramsey uncharacteristically missed tackles that led to big gains.  (On a side note, Ramsey's "poor" performance was typically the ceiling/norm for way too many Jaguars' CBs over the years).  But in the second half, Ramsey flipped the script and shut Jeffrey down.  I'm not sure what adjustments were made by him or Wash, but we didn't hear much from Jeffrey in the second half.  Fittingly, Ramsey made the play that sealed the win.  Ramsey showed a short memory, resilience, grit, and clutch ability. 

B.  Myles Jack-Got the start at OTTO.  I saw him in on one tackle, but saw nothing else from him.  I think they were taking him out in nickel packages.  While Telvin Smith has great athleticism and Poz seems to do really well dropping in zones, somehow I think if they are taking out Jack in nickel packages, they're still doing it wrong.

C.  Yannick Ngakoue-obtained his 4th sack of the season yesterday on a key 4th quarter possession.

D.  Sheldon Day-Saw him but he didn't stand out to me.

E.  Brandon Allen-DNP

8.  Julius Thomas made about 2-3 key catches that extended drives for the team.  I think if Bortles is to have a resurgence, Thomas will play a key role.

9.  Nice to see Colvin return, and he made a key tackle.

10.  Bottom line:  while it was far from a pretty game, it was good to get another W.  We are no longer in last place in the division, and there is a sense there is a positive momentum.  Now make no mistake, this team will have to play at a much higher level to beat Oakland next week.  But if this team improves its performance and wins next week, it will have been a month since the Jaguars lost.  When was the last non off-season month that statement could have been uttered about this team?  Let's go beat the Raiders to see how good it will feel to say that.

Great summary. My takeaway is nearly identical. A few things I'd add. 

On the Lee lack of TDs topic I'd add  that he did have a TD opportunity taken away by defensive holding. 

Also - the penalties got better. (not sure if mentioned)

Blake looked very rattled after the INT then turned it on in the fourth as you mentioned. It's concerning. He's got to be able to do it for four quarters to win against the better teams. (Chicago isn't one of them)

He also needs to continue to minimize his "one read" tendency.  There were receivers open when he threw into tight coverage a few times, but it wasn't a glaring problem in this one. 

The crossing routes by Hurns in the fourth were huge too. I hope they capitalize on that moving forward. 
Benn is a great special teamer and now solid depth as a receiver

Blake needs to play better. Its been 3 years now and still playing like a rookie at times.
Quote:Great summary. My takeaway is nearly identical. A few things I'd add. 

On the Lee lack of TDs topic I'd add  that he did have a TD opportunity taken away by defensive holding. 

Also - the penalties got better. (not sure if mentioned)

Blake looked very rattled after the INT then turned it on in the fourth as you mentioned. It's concerning. He's got to be able to do it for four quarters to win against the better teams. (Chicago isn't one of them)

He also needs to continue to minimize his "one read" tendency.  There were receivers open when he threw into tight coverage a few times, but it wasn't a glaring problem in this one. 

The crossing routes by Hurns in the fourth were huge too. I hope they capitalize on that moving forward. 
I'm not sure what is more concerning, the one read stuff or the rattled stuff.

If there is any thing that endeared him to Jaguars fans early on is that he was very aggressive and he went for the big play.  I don't know if he is being over coached into cautiousness, it's an evolution due to a shaky OL, if opposing defenses are particularly taking away the deeper stuff and forcing him to work underneath, or some combination of the above, but the idea that if something goes wrong, he either loses confidence or starts to press is bothersome.

But another thing is early on he went through his progressions.  You'd see his head turn from one read to the next.  I haven't noticed that as much this year, perhaps because as a 3rd year player, I didn't expect him to regress in that area.  I haven't seen the coaches film, but I'd hate to think he has regressed here too.  Don't you have the NFL.com all 22 stuff?  Can you or anyone else elaborate on this?
Quote:Blake needs to play better. Its been 3 years now and still playing like a rookie at times.
He does need to play better.

I know you haven't said anything about it to my knowledge, so I am not attributing you with saying this, but I'm far from ready to give up on Bortles.  He's going through some struggles now-not all of which are his fault.

He can get through this.
1. The first half play calling was horrible. I really would like to know if we scheme and the other team prepares better or if we are just that bad at execution and adjustments. And I 'd like to hear it from the coaches.Speculation is pointless.

2. This game I found myself asking if Hoyer was starting for us would it even be close? Bortles has regressed this year; frustrating after an improved year last year. And frustrating to watch second and third team QBs have good games against us

3. The offense looks entirely more comfortable and executes much better in a spread no huddle. I'll takeFootball for $500 Alex.

Quote:He does need to play better.

I know you haven't said anything about it to my knowledge, so I am not attributing you with saying this, but I'm far from ready to give up on Bortles.  He's going through some struggles now-not all of which are his fault.

He can get through this.
Blake has had some terrible luck this season. 3 interceptions that go right off the WRs hands. The Arob one this week was just flat out unacceptable. The run game has been putrid and that clearly effects Blake. Not to mention it takes this staff longer than any other staff in the league to realize something so obvious... Like how much better Blake looks at uptempo. 

Blake needs to play better but he should have 3 less interceptions and about 3 more TDs.
If I had to add a post script, it's this.

You can make the argument this team might be beginning to turn the corner.

The last two wins featured a game against the Colts that wasn't as close as the final score indicated, and a game against the Bears where we played about as bad as a team could play and still won the game.

I'm still not sold on the coaching, or if the coaching can overcome OL weaknesses.

But if maturity factors into this, maybe Bradley is right.  Maybe this team is starting to mature.

We'll certainly see this coming Sunday.  The Raiders are a heckuva test for this team.  If we can knock off the Raiders-and then the Tacks, that would put us at 4-3 and right in the thick of things in the AFC South race.

Quote:Blake has had some terrible luck this season. 3 interceptions that go right off the WRs hands. The Arob one this week was just flat out unacceptable. The run game has been putrid and that clearly effects Blake. Not to mention it takes this staff longer than any other staff in the league to realize something so obvious... Like how much better Blake looks at uptempo. 

Blake needs to play better but he should have 3 less interceptions and about 3 more TDs.
Agreed completely here.
Quote:I'm not sure what is more concerning, the one read stuff or the rattled stuff.

If there is any thing that endeared him to Jaguars fans early on is that he was very aggressive and he went for the big play.  I don't know if he is being over coached into cautiousness, it's an evolution due to a shaky OL, if opposing defenses are particularly taking away the deeper stuff and forcing him to work underneath, or some combination of the above, but the idea that if something goes wrong, he either loses confidence or starts to press is bothersome.

But another thing is early on he went through his progressions.  You'd see his head turn from one read to the next.  I haven't noticed that as much this year, perhaps because as a 3rd year player, I didn't expect him to regress in that area.  I haven't seen the coaches film, but I'd hate to think he has regressed here too.  Don't you have the NFL.com all 22 stuff?  Can you or anyone else elaborate on this?
The all22 stuff isn't up yet.  Should be up later today or tomorrow morning at the latest.  I'll check it. 

I did see him go through his progression yesterday at times, but I also saw him key on one guy a few too many times.  
Did anyone pay specific attention to Fowler at all? Reading the post, I realized I don't remember hearing his number called much. If we could increase the pressure on the QB from that spot this defense could be really solid.

I hope the offense can get it going at some point. Slow starts, the thing that ruined them last year and they specifically wanted to eliminate this year, are still a dominant theme yet again this season and it's frustrating. I agree that Olsen is the one who's most at fault for our horrible running game. His run play calls are too involved and he needs to simplify things. Simplifying the offense is going to be the key to our season I think, because these guys aren't going to gel and start clicking fast enough in order to do what Olsen wants.

Next week is a huge game, the biggest in Bradley's tenure imo. If games like yesterday are what it's gonna take for these young guys to learn how to win, then so be it. I just hope we can make it 3 in a row somehow someway next week...whether it be by refs, luck, voodoo or whatever, just gotta win this one.
Quote:Benn is a great special teamer and now solid depth as a receiver
He's a big guy. I would like to see him on more redzone packages.
Quote:He's a big guy. I would like to see him on more redzone packages.
I understand your thinking here.  With his size and speed he should be good in the red zone.

I guess my question is who do you take out?
Quote:I understand your thinking here. With his size and speed he should be good in the red zone.

I guess my question is who do you take out?
oh that's easy. Marcedes.
Quote:oh that's easy. Marcedes.
So if inside the 5, you'd take away whatever run look a 2 TE set would offer, or would this be more outside the 10?
Quote:Did anyone pay specific attention to Fowler at all? Reading the post, I realized I don't remember hearing his number called much. If we could increase the pressure on the QB from that spot this defense could be really solid.

I hope the offense can get it going at some point. Slow starts, the thing that ruined them last year and they specifically wanted to eliminate this year, are still a dominant theme yet again this season and it's frustrating. I agree that Olsen is the one who's most at fault for our horrible running game. His run play calls are too involved and he needs to simplify things. Simplifying the offense is going to be the key to our season I think, because these guys aren't going to gel and start clicking fast enough in order to do what Olsen wants.

Next week is a huge game, the biggest in Bradley's tenure imo. If games like yesterday are what it's gonna take for these young guys to learn how to win, then so be it. I just hope we can make it 3 in a row somehow someway next week...whether it be by refs, luck, voodoo or whatever, just gotta win this one.
I think yesterday was a tough game for the pass rushers because Hoyer gets the ball out as fast as possible. He doesn't let plays develop for deep shots and instead, take the gimmies. He had 49 pass attempts and only accumulated 300 yards for 6.16 YPA. That's very Hennesque. 
Quote:I'm not sure what is more concerning, the one read stuff or the rattled stuff.

There was one play that was clear Arob had 3 people on him deep down the field.  So he is being double and triple teamed at times.
Quote:Benn is a great special teamer and now solid depth as a receiver

I always liked Benn on special teams, but never thought he would be an important contributor on offense. He showed great awareness of that play knowing the Bears player did not touch him and then staying in bounds.
Quote:Did anyone pay specific attention to Fowler at all? Reading the post, I realized I don't remember hearing his number called much. If we could increase the pressure on the QB from that spot this defense could be really solid.

Not sure how much base vs nickel they played yet, but Fowler isn't on the field for base package unless they rotate him in for Ngakoue. 

(Odrick and Ngakoue are the ends in base)

When they were in nickel, Hoyer was making a lot of quick passes, so we saw lots of this:

[Image: giphy.gif]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5