Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: QB is not the only issue. Defense given up 90 points last 3 weeks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This once dominant defense can't stop anybody the last few games.  They sacked Watson who was the most sacked in the nfl only once.  He came in with a lung issue and won while Mariotta came here barely able to throw the ball and won too.

It's laughable people comparing this defense to the 85 bears, 02 bucs, or the 00 ravens.  This defense does not have one pro bowler playing right now
(10-22-2018, 10:21 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]This once dominant defense can't stop anybody the last few games.  They sacked Watson who was the most sacked in the nfl only once.  He came in with a lung issue and won while Mariotta came here barely able to throw the ball and won too.

It's laughable people comparing this defense to the 85 bears, 02 bucs, or the 00 ravens.  This defense does not have one pro bowler playing right now

I think they mis Poz more than they thought they would.
Our offense continually gives the opponent the ball in scoring position.  Additionally, when our offence cannot establish any sense of ball control and any sensible time of possession then our defense is constantly put back out their on the field knowing if they give up any points, we lose.

Our Offense Sucks period !!!!
The worst team in the NFL put 7 sacks on watson and our super defense barely got 1
Our Defense Sucks too
Our Coaches suck worst

Maybe we are the worst team in the NFL and not buffalo
The defense played well yesterday. They only gave up 10 points against a mobile QB. And I think that KC game wasn't that harsh, seeing that the Chiefs almost scored 50 points on the Bengals last night. The Cowboys' game was the outlier.
Hard playing defense when you're constantly on the field because the offense can't score points or have a drive last longer than 3 minutes.
OC and DC along with HC are the main problems no 11 presser yet from marrone maybe he is in the godfathers office getting chewed out or fired
(10-22-2018, 10:21 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]This once dominant defense can't stop anybody the last few games.  They sacked Watson who was the most sacked in the nfl only once.  He came in with a lung issue and won while Mariotta came here barely able to throw the ball and won too.

how can they sack watson when we are down instantly and houston can just run the ball or run playaction?

what's more of an issue, 0 points at half 3 strait games?  or the defense playing not up to par?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(10-22-2018, 10:30 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]The worst team in the NFL put 7 sacks on watson and our super defense barely got 1
Our Defense Sucks too
Our Coaches suck worst

Maybe we are the worst team in the NFL and not buffalo

you realize there is a MASSIVE difference when it comes to sacks and sack opportunities when your team is playing with a large deficit right?  The other team does not have to telegraph passing the ball

why is this hard to understand?

last year we were fortunate, or lucky, to get the lead early and often on most teams, this year, with how PATHETIC our offense is, injuries or not, we are not getting the lead, and our defense's strength seems to be when the other team has to pass

think of the old indianapolis colts back in the day, when they got a lead on you and could unless freeney and mathis, it was GG, but when you got a lead on them and could run and use play action, they were in big trouble

that's us, except indy had an all world offense, and we have the worst one in the league

also not to mention all the short fields the defense has to deal with thanks to bortles
I agree that QB isn't the only problem, there are a number of issues.  In no particular order...

1.  QB play
2.  Receivers dropping balls at critical times
3.  No running game to speak of
4.  Turnovers
5.  Offensive line health
6.  TE
7.  WR
8.  Defense not playing as a TEAM.  Too many of them are trying too hard to "make something happen" as individuals.
9.  Game planning/lack of preparation
10. Play calling

I could probably go on, but it sure seems like the whole team is just melting down.  It's not just one player/position it's the team as a whole including coaches.
(10-22-2018, 12:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that QB isn't the only problem, there are a number of issues.  In no particular order...

1.  QB play
4.  Turnovers
6.  TE
7.  WR
8.  Defense not playing as a TEAM.  Too many of them are trying too hard to "make something happen" as individuals.
10. Play calling

I could probably go on, but it sure seems like the whole team is just melting down.  It's not just one player/position it's the team as a whole including coaches.

Punter sucks.
Return team sucks.
Coverage teams are just ok.
Kicker never in a position to kick.
(10-22-2018, 12:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-22-2018, 12:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that QB isn't the only problem, there are a number of issues.  In no particular order...

1.  QB play
4.  Turnovers
6.  TE
7.  WR
10. Play calling

Punter sucks.
Return team sucks.
Coverage teams are just ok.
Kicker never in a position to kick.

Special teams were certainly anything but special.
(10-22-2018, 10:48 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]The defense played well yesterday. They only gave up 10 points against a mobile QB.  And I think that KC game wasn't that harsh, seeing that the Chiefs almost scored 50 points on the Bengals last night. The Cowboys' game was the outlier.

This, also the defense only gave up 17 points to the Chiefs. The defense hasn’t been all-time historically dominant or anything, but it has played well enough to be 6-1 or 5-2 with a good offense, so currently in possesion of a first place in the division and a first round bye. Also, the offense looked a bit more effective with Kessler, who I don’t think is very good, at QB, so I can imagine how it would look with a good QB. QB isn’ t the only problem, but it is the biggest.
(10-22-2018, 01:07 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-22-2018, 10:48 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]The defense played well yesterday. They only gave up 10 points against a mobile QB.  And I think that KC game wasn't that harsh, seeing that the Chiefs almost scored 50 points on the Bengals last night. The Cowboys' game was the outlier.

This, also the defense only gave up 17 points to the Chiefs. The defense hasn’t been all-time historically dominant or anything, but it has played well enough to be 6-1 or 5-2 with a good offense, so currently in possesion of a first place in the division and a first round bye. Also, the offense looked a bit more effective with Kessler, who I don’t think is very good, at QB, so I can imagine how it would look with a good QB. QB isn’ t the only problem, but it is the biggest.
The defense pressured Watson 18 times on 25 dropbacks. He had a 50% completion percentage. 

QB is by far the biggest issue on this team. I thought Oline did fairly well to start but got worse later on when the Texans knew we had to throw. 

I just can't believe people are really blaming this defense. Sure they had a bad game against the Cowboys but they are being hung out to dry. They are being asked to basically pitch a shutout every single game.
Defenses don't play in a vacuum. Nor do offenses or special teams.
Tell me how much they've given up in the first half. Then we'll talk.Otherwise this stat is completely useless.
The defense is 2nd in yards given up and 9th in points. With a non-existent offense.

There are certainly issues but defense is way way down the list.
(10-22-2018, 11:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Hard playing defense when you're constantly on the field because the defense can't score points or have a drive last longer than 3 minutes.

I keep hearing this excuse but the Jags are getting dominated early in games where fatigue is no issue.  It's been like 60-0 in the first half the last 3 weeks.
Defense has regressed from last year, no doubt, but they're still above average and that should be good enough if they're getting contributions from the offense and special teams which they generally haven't been getting this year. The difference last year is the defense was dominant and won games for us single handedly on a regular basis and this year they're not even creating turnovers much at all.

A look at Bortles' passing efficiency and his percentages on specific down and distances shows that statistically he's been pretty much the same guy this year that he was last year, though the turnovers are up. He's on pace for 18 Ints and 7 fumbles lost at his current pace. He had 13 Ints and 3 fumbles lost for all of last year during the regular season(though he did put the ball on the ground a total of 9 times). The pace he's on this year likely means we don't make the playoffs unless something changes with him or with the position. The defense hasn't been there to bail him out this year like they preemptively did a lot last year and he's been worse about protecting the ball.

Maybe Fournette's presence will cause defenses to play differently enough and Bortles will return to his 2017 form of being better at protecting the ball. Perhaps Hyde's presence might even affect things. We'll find out this weekend. I just hope it's not too late once Fournette returns. Either way, we will be in the QB market this coming offseason as we should have been this past offseason. Of that, I have no doubt.
This team is in complete free-fall. All I have ever expected is effort and be competitive. I have seen neither. Visions of what might have been......
Pages: 1 2 3