Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2nd and Two
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Incompletion
Third and Two
Incompletion
Fourth and Two
Incompletion
Game Over

Why do we keep abandoning the run?
That playcalling reminded me of the Russell Wilson Super Bowl, the Butler did it INT
All while we're averaging nearly 3 yards before contact... This coaching staff (and it's stupid play calling) has played a pretty good role in costing us games this season, even with all of the injuries.

https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/10...3132892161
Quick snap fall forward behind linder and norwell. Couldn't get 2 yards?
(10-29-2018, 09:31 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Quick snap fall forward behind linder and norwell. Couldn't get 2 yards?

2 yards is a bit harder than that. You actually need push on QB keeper for 2 yards, and Fletcher Cox is as good if not better than those 2.

Having said that, you still need a running game. And it cannot just be read-options and running power in the A/B gap behind the FB. Yes the team cannot set the edge to save their life right now, but you need some deception with jet sweeps, motion into a some WR screens, to have the semblance of an outside run game.
I think Hackett's play calling has been an issue dating back to the AFC Championship game. I just don't understand some of the play calls he continues to make that puts the offense in bad spots, especially with Blake's inability to accurately throw passes for short yardage. I saw no reason that they shouldn't at least tried to run it on some of the short yardage situations in the second half, but nope...we gotta throw throw throw. 

The offense as a whole has a lot of issues with Blake being the biggest one, but they aren't getting a lot of help from Hackett. I am almost ready for Marrone to start calling plays...it surely can't get any worse.
I've been wanting to get a clear picture on this issue. I went on record saying I liked how they were taking what the defense was giving them in terms of the easy underneath passes (opposed to running) for much of the game. I did say I'd have run it on 3 or 4 of those short yardage situations in the second half though and that was a bit of a head scratcher.

I tried to cue up the gamepass all22 just now to analyze those drives and situations but it's not functioning for me right now. May be off during the Mon night broadcast.
Will try again tomorrow and post whatever I have to offer here.
The 4th and 2 play call had me really wondering. If you're really that compelled to throw the ball there, why have everyone crowded inside of the hash marks when you have a QB that can run? That play should always be 5 WR split wide away from the line. Then it's just go routes for all five. That's going to start and keep away at least five defenders from the ball, probably six or even seven. Bortles should pick up that two yards every time you run it.
(10-29-2018, 10:02 PM)SCJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]I think Hackett's play calling has been an issue dating back to the AFC Championship game. I just don't understand some of the play calls he continues to make that puts the offense in bad spots, especially with Blake's inability to accurately throw passes for short yardage. I saw no reason that they shouldn't at least tried to run it on some of the short yardage situations in the second half, but nope...we gotta throw throw throw. 

The offense as a whole has a lot of issues with Blake being the biggest one, but they aren't getting a lot of help from Hackett. I am almost ready for Marrone to start calling plays...it surely can't get any worse.
I just dont get it. At this point it wouldnt really matter who calls the plays. This offense scheme is influenced by Marrone. Hackett is just a guy thats there to get canned when Marrone seat gets hot. Hopefully its both of them when they move forward with the coaching staff. Who calls plays doesnt matter at this point. This offense has no creativity and this coaches suck at scheming these WRs open.
(10-29-2018, 10:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I've been wanting to get a clear picture on this issue.  I went on record saying I liked how they were taking what the defense was giving them in terms of the easy underneath passes (opposed to running) for much of the game. I did say I'd have run it on 3 or 4 of those short yardage situations in the second half though and that was a bit of a head scratcher.

I tried to cue up the gamepass all22 just now to analyze those drives and situations but it's not functioning for me right now. May be off during the Mon night broadcast.
Will try again tomorrow and post whatever I have to offer here.

Coaches film on gamepass isn't working for me as well at the moment.
Even without watching that it's still unbelievable how we abandoned the run when it made all the sense in the world to do it. (I include that even the end of first half drive when we were at the 50).

I will be interested in seeing your comments after the all22.
I guess this coaching staff has lost faith in the players. I don't know how you fix that and that is the decline. Thanks for anyone that looks at all 22 and has posts later. I'm very interested.
I'm just starting to dig in to this all22 stuff to get some sense of why they didn't run on a few of those short yardage situations in the second half in London.

One quick early impression speaks to lack of confidence in the banged up line.

They lined up like this on third and one in the first quarter (Shatley as TE eligible) :

[Image: ScreenShot2018-10-30at9.02.20AM.png]

It yielded negative yardage.  (-1)

This certainly didn't do anything for the staff's confidence in that line in short yardage situations.

As many of us have been saying since the AFCCG, this squad just doesn't have the horses to line up in power formations and force it down your throat.  They need the 11 personnel and multiple looks to spread the defense out in order to be able to create running lanes. I'm hoping they weren't doing it because they don't have Hyde up to speed yet on that part of the playbook.

How many folks think they'd have had a better shot getting that one yard with a Yeldon/Hyde two-back set a TE in the slot and 2 receivers wide?
It forces the defense to spread out and defend five guys and even if it's just a give to Hyde, he's got multiple options of where to run especially if the other back and TE are clearing out an area outside the tackle for him (as we saw happen a few times earlier this season with ASJ/Grant/Fournette) 

This is just one quick impression. More to come...
The o-line is the by far biggest issue going on with this offense. It always starts in the trenches. Our guys are simply being manhandled. Even with the fact that the team was number one last year running, late in the season they struggled to run when they truly needed it. It has carried over to this year and injuries have compounded the problem. If they do not start playing considerably better....well you know.
Thanks NYC4jags that is one stacked box. 9 all crowded in with backers standing up and committed to run stopping. At least it wasn't our typical tight trips look.

Bortles struggles with throws to the flat yes? Is that limiting us from getting good spacing across the line? I don't think I've really looked at that.
(10-30-2018, 09:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just starting to dig in to this all22 stuff to get some sense of why they didn't run on a few of those short yardage situations in the second half in London.

They lined up like this on third and one in the first quarter (Shatley as TE eligible) :

[Image: ScreenShot2018-10-30at9.02.20AM.png]

This certainly didn't do anything for the staff's confidence in that line in short yardage situations.

As many of us have been saying since the AFCCG, this squad just doesn't have the horses to line up in power formations and force it down your throat.  They need the 11 personnel and multiple looks to spread the defense out in order to be able to create running lanes. I'm hoping they weren't doing it because they don't have Hyde up to speed yet on that part of the playbook.

How many folks think they'd have had a better shot getting that one yard with a Yeldon/Hyde two-back set a TE in the slot and 2 receivers wide?
It forces the defense to spread out and defend five guys and even if it's just a give to Hyde, he's got multiple options of where to run especially if the other back and TE are clearing out an area outside the tackle for him (as we saw happen a few times earlier this season with ASJ/Grant/Fournette) 

If this is the same play I'm thinking about,
Could Hyde have stretched this to the left and made a foot race to the marker?

I remember a play that Hyde missed the outside open area and ran right into a defender and thinking Fournette wouldve bounced that outside and at least made it a race.
(10-30-2018, 11:07 AM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2018, 09:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just starting to dig in to this all22 stuff to get some sense of why they didn't run on a few of those short yardage situations in the second half in London.

image*

If this is the same play I'm thinking about,

I remember a play that Hyde missed the outside open area and ran right into a defender and thinking Fournette wouldve bounced that outside and at least made it a race.

All22 is inexplicably down again. When it's back up I'll post the gif and a little more armchair breakdown.
I never understood the complaints about passing on every down. We were moving the ball, which was a huge improvement from the previous 3 weeks of offensive lethargy.
(10-30-2018, 11:21 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]I never understood the complaints about passing on every down.  We were moving the ball, which was a huge improvement from the previous 3 weeks of offensive lethargy.

I don't disagree in terms of the overall approach taken in that game once they determined the run wasn't working well.  The iggles were giving them the short underneath stuff all day long. Why not take it? But I think there were a few specific moments in the second half that they had a good opportunity to mix the run back in and perhaps erred in not doing so.
(10-30-2018, 11:21 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]I never understood the complaints about passing on every down.  We were moving the ball, which was a huge improvement from the previous 3 weeks of offensive lethargy.

Getting the defense off balance and opening up the possibility for big plays. 
Best way to create big plays for this roster is play action.
(10-30-2018, 11:07 AM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]If this is the same play I'm thinking about,

After rewatching  --  There were DBs in position outside both ways to prevent a bounce out by the RB.  Maybe Fournette may have bullied one of them backward enough for a first down, but I can count on one hand how many inside runs he's bounced outside since he's been in the league. Doubtful he'd have done it here IMO. 

It looks like they wanted to run behind Cann and Parnell there, but Grinnage got blown back so badly it sealed that off so Hyde just dove the other way in desperation. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Looking at all of Hydes runs in the first half, he either had linemen being blown up or he had a gap that was immediately filled by a linebacker. He had one good run in the half. It just looked like a combination of good defense and bad blocking to me.
Pages: 1 2