Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags poked around for a new QB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Rumor is that teams were hesitant to trade their backup QBs, aka. The price was too high.

In the end all we have is Bortles. Gotta be encouraging that they're finally starting the search however. Even if it's too late for this year. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25128...ers-losers
(10-31-2018, 12:17 AM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]Rumor is that teams were hesitant to trade their backup QBs, aka. The price was too high.

In the end all we have is Bortles. Gotta be encouraging that they're finally starting the search however. Even if it's too late for this year. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25128...ers-losers

So we have one ESPN staff writer putting down that the Jaguars "poked around" other teams' backups. Has anyone credible said anything about that? Because all I've seen is that the Jaguars were not looking to do anything at QB.
fake news
So you think we didn't "poke around" for a new QB? I sure as hell hope we did.
You don't find franchise QBs poking around in other teams' trash heaps, and backups are the trash heap. No need to waste draft picks on other teams' trash. The Jaguars will just have to start hoping, again, that another Mahomes comes along when they're picking in the draft and that this time they'll have the intelligence to recognize it when he does.
Let’s just go to the quarterback tree out back and pick one.
We messed up by not drafting one this past offseason. I sincerely hope we don't completely ignore the position again, this coming offseason be it the draft or free agency. If we do, I might need to take a break from football.
(10-31-2018, 08:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]We messed up by not drafting one this past offseason. I sincerely hope we don't completely ignore the position again, this coming offseason be it the draft or free agency.  If we do, I might need to take a break from football.

Vic said he would swim the St Johns river if the Jags didn’t draft a QB in 2011. Gabbert came along and he was spared. 

So I’ll swim the St Johns if they don’t address it this year haha
(10-31-2018, 09:23 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-31-2018, 08:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]We messed up by not drafting one this past offseason. I sincerely hope we don't completely ignore the position again, this coming offseason be it the draft or free agency.  If we do, I might need to take a break from football.

Vic said he would swim the St Johns river if the Jags didn’t draft a QB in 2011. Gabbert came along and he was spared. 

So I’ll swim the St Johns if they don’t address it this year haha

Careful, Vic knew he was headed to Green Bay when he said that. You might not be so lucky.
(10-31-2018, 08:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]We messed up by not drafting one this past offseason. I sincerely hope we don't completely ignore the position again, this coming offseason be it the draft or free agency. If we do, I might need to take a break from football.

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but didn't Tanner Lee get picked in the seventh this year?

I know, I know...practice squad material. But still. It's frustrating that once again, Jacksonville's back in this very familiar spot at a very familiar drawing board. Hell of it is I dunno if there's any backups out there or available FA QBs this offseason who would even be worth looking at.
Heard we're signing Landry Jones
Combine this with the Landry Jones news and the Bortles non throwing shoulder injury and it seems like they were probably looking at a few names for a possible late round pick.
Targeting guys that could possibly be competition or veteran leadership next season.
Price was too high, so we sign Jones off the scrap heap.

It was never poking around for a Bortles replacement imo. It was probably poking around to fill out a roster and sign some insurance.
Jones ended up being that insurance that is likely only needed a few games or the rest of this season.

Help is not on the way folks lol
Poking around for a backup for if/when they have to move on from Bortles this season and roll with Kessler.

Just my impression/suspicion.
Bortles injury? Yeah maybe. But, if he blows against the Colts or Bills, and the Jags division title hopes get dashed, they'll move to Kessler/Jones (backup).
(10-31-2018, 11:38 AM)jagherd Wrote: [ -> ]Poking around for a backup for if/when they have to move on from Bortles this season and roll with Kessler.

Bortles injury? Yeah maybe. But, if he blows against the Colts or Bills, and the Jags division title hopes get dashed, they'll move to Kessler/Jones (backup).

Your thoughts were my first reaction. Plus, it is like a bone toss to the fans that the powers that be are aware of a problem and are addressing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-31-2018, 09:45 AM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but didn't Tanner Lee get picked in the seventh this year?

I know, I know...practice squad material. But still. It's frustrating that once again, Jacksonville's back in this very familiar spot at a very familiar drawing board. Hell of it is I dunno if there's any backups out there or available FA QBs this offseason who would even be worth looking at.

I remember when Lee was picked. It was almost unanimous that no one took that pick seriously. He was abysmal in the Senior Bowl and I was shocked he even got drafted. I could not even take the Lee selection seriously.
There was some reports about us talking to Cleveland and Philadelphia. Which would mean Tyrod Taylor and Nick Foles. I am sure the asking price was too much. But right now it appears Landry Jones was just an insurance policy for the time being. Bortles will probably tough it out and be ready to go during the bye week. Landry Jones will more than likely be in and out of here.
That's our problem we're always just kind of poking around for QBs.
(10-31-2018, 04:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]That's our problem we're always just kind of poking around for QBs.

True.
(10-31-2018, 04:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]That's our problem we're always just kind of poking around for QBs.

Methinks they'll do more than just poke around this offseason.

(10-31-2018, 09:45 AM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]

I think they likely still like Tanner Lee as a developmental prospect that they just want nowhere near a regular season game yet. Week four of preseason he really flashed. 

But he's like a poor man's Josh Allen  -  and Allen shouldn't have seen the field till 2019. He totally got Gabberted this year.
(10-31-2018, 02:58 PM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-31-2018, 11:38 AM)jagherd Wrote: [ -> ]Poking around for a backup for if/when they have to move on from Bortles this season and roll with Kessler.

Your thoughts were my first reaction. Plus, it is like a bone toss to the fans that the powers that be are aware of a problem and are addressing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much. It's not really earth shattering news to hear the tea was "poking around".  It's also not a shock that the price to trade for someone else's backup was too high.

The QB issue isn't going to be addressed mid-season via trade, or by picking up someone's cast-offs off the street. It's going to require an off season to identify the right target. I think that when the dust settles, the team will sign a competent veteran, and draft for the future. I don't see Bortles lasting beyond this year.
Pages: 1 2 3