Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The fallacy of the "Last Place Schedule"....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Over the past few weeks I've read quite a few posters say things like, "last year we played a last place schedule" or "at least next year we get a last place schedule instead of first place." 

Statements like these seemed contrary to what I remembered about schedule making since the realignment that moved us out of the AFC North.

So I decided to do a little research....

https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/crea...-schedule/

Here’s a breakdown of how each team’s opponents are set:
  • Six games against divisional opponents — two games per team, one at home and one on the road.
  • Four games against teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road.
  • Four games against teams from a division in the other conference— two games at home and two on the road.
  • Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.

I assume the last/first place schedule designation given by fans has to do with that very last line..... which is ridiculous.

If two games out of sixteen are what you guys are referring to when you say first/last place schedule....WOW!

Think of it this way.... Anyone scheduled to play us last year, by way of that rule (we were a last place team coming off a 3-13 season), got a lot more than a " last place" team.

Because of this scheduling system, every team in each division plays a nearly identical schedule, the exceptions being those two games. And with the way teams often flux, sometimes yearly, through their division standings, what appear to be a last place schedule, may in fact be a first place schedule...and vice versa.

My point....last/first place schedules are a brass ring. When all else fails....at least we get the last place schedule next year.
(11-08-2018, 07:37 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: [ -> ]Over the past few weeks I've read quite a few posters say things like, "last year we played a last place schedule" or "at least next year we get a last place schedule instead of first place." 

Statements like these seemed contrary to what I remembered about schedule making since the realignment that moved us out of the AFC North.

• Six games against divisional opponents — two games per team, one at home and one on the road.
  • Four games against teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road.
  • Four games against teams from a division in the other conference— two games at home and two on the road.
  • Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.

I assume the last/first place schedule designation given by fans has to do with that very last line..... which is ridiculous.

If two games out of sixteen are what you guys are referring to when you say first/last place schedule....WOW!

Think of it this way.... Anyone scheduled to play us last year, by way of that rule (we were a last place team coming off a 3-13 season), got a lot more than a " last place" team.

Because of this scheduling system, every team in each division plays a nearly identical schedule, the exceptions being those two games. And with the way teams often flux, sometimes yearly, through their division standings, what appear to be a last place schedule, may in fact be a first place schedule...and vice versa.

My point....last/first place schedules are a brass ring. When all else fails....at least we get the last place schedule next year.

You're right.

/thread
(11-08-2018, 07:37 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: [ -> ]Over the past few weeks I've read quite a few posters say things like, "last year we played a last place schedule" or "at least next year we get a last place schedule instead of first place." 

Good stuff. Didn't care. But good stuff. I'm aware now.
I've been beating this drum for awhile. Teams in the same division play an almost identical schedule. And with how teams rise and fall year to year, your first place opponent from last year could easily be middle of the pack this year and vice versa.

Mentioned this during the offseason a few times, but we went 1-1 in those games last year (loss to the jets and victory over the chargers). So at worst, our first place schedule this year would only impact us by one game. Currently we are 0-1 with the Chiefs loss. If we beat the Steelers, we'll finish 1-1 in these games. Which means the first place schedule will have had zero impact on us this year.

The divisions you get aligned with and how you match up against those teams is far more important in determining the difficulty of your schedule.
The "last place schedule" thing did impact the 1999 season.
The Rams were playing a last place schedule, and for that reason, they didn't have to play the Jags in the regular season. But ever since realignment it's nearly a non-factor.
I don't know our schedule last season was pretty damn easy. Wasn't the opponent win % like .450-.470 ish?
It is still significant when comparing last year's division winner and last year's division basement dweller because the division winner is playing two more playoff teams from the year before. It's not insignificant, but it's not some huge deal to hang your hat on for why a team underperformed the following year either.
(11-08-2018, 02:03 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know our schedule last season was pretty damn easy. Wasn't the opponent win % like .450-.470 ish?

Which really had more to do with our terrible division.
Counterpoint: we also played the Luck-less clots twice and the tinhorns without Watson for three out of four quarters. We faced four playoff teams all regular season (Steelers, Rams, tacks x2) and went 1-3 and we were 4-4 against opponents that ended up with 8-8 or better records.
I've been saying this since the realignment. It's two damn games. That could be a difference, but it rarely is.
The soft schedule wasn't because of the last place schedule.
It was because of the colts and texans.

BUT, 2 playoff wins and a strong championship game makes up for whatever schedule aspect people want to use to downplay last year's team
(11-08-2018, 06:07 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]The soft schedule wasn't because of the last place schedule.

BUT, 2 playoff wins and a strong championship game makes up for whatever schedule aspect people want to use to downplay last year's team

Well would it have been better to lose to the Bills and ditch BB5 sooner than later?  What would the team look like this year with that outcome?
(11-08-2018, 06:22 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2018, 06:07 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]The soft schedule wasn't because of the last place schedule.

Well would it have been better to lose to the Bills and ditch BB5 sooner than later?  What would the team look like this year with that outcome?

Lol, so we would lose the good part of last year and this year would still suck. No thanks.
I told everyone here Jags had toughest schedule in nfl again this year. the nfl always gives Jags the toughest schedle in the nfl.
(11-08-2018, 08:42 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]I told everyone here Jags had toughest schedule in nfl again this year. the nfl always gives Jags the toughest schedle in the nfl.

Good grief.  It's all a formula.  The league doesn't 'give' them anything.
(11-08-2018, 05:38 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]Counterpoint: we also played the Luck-less clots twice and the tinhorns without Watson for three out of four quarters. We faced four playoff teams all regular season (Steelers, Rams, tacks x2) and went 1-3 and we were 4-4 against opponents that ended up with 8-8 or better records.

I remember back when no one listened to you like it was three hours ago.
(11-08-2018, 08:44 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2018, 08:42 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]I told everyone here Jags had toughest schedule in nfl again this year. the nfl always gives Jags the toughest schedle in the nfl.

Good grief.  It's all a formula.  The league doesn't 'give' them anything.

An evil make the jags suffer formula, and it's been going on for years. Every time the Jags have a running QB, the league becomes a passing league, every time the Jags have a great Defense, the league changes to an Offensive league.

Rico, you know how much the league hates us, stop placating us through these evil league formulas.

Al least we get to beat the clots this week, so the league at least gave us that. Tongue
(11-08-2018, 09:03 PM)Sammy Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2018, 05:38 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]Counterpoint: we also played the Luck-less clots twice and the tinhorns without Watson for three out of four quarters. We faced four playoff teams all regular season (Steelers, Rams, tacks x2) and went 1-3 and we were 4-4 against opponents that ended up with 8-8 or better records.

I remember back when no one listened to you like it was three hours ago.

Sammy, I think there is no way this is true, cause I don't think you could remember 3 hours ago. Banana
You know I realized I am not being fair. I was plenty happy at the start of the season and it was much easier to overlook BB5 warts.
Playing the browns and Broncos rather than the chiefs and Steelers is pretty significant. Could be the difference between 8-8 and sitting at home or 10-6 and in the playoffs.
Pages: 1 2