Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL ratings decline article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Not a single mention about the National Anthem protest. Awesome journalism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/b...story.html
Journalism is dead.

NFL will need to stop the TNF games and probably the global experiment as well. They overestimated the staying power of their product.

Pigs eat forever. Hogs get slaughtered.
Quote:Not a single mention about the National Anthem protest. Awesome journalism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/b...story.html
The National Anthem protests are THE reason many people I know have stopped watching. The family I have watched the SB with the last few years and who are huge football fans refuse to watch any NFL broadcast now thanks to the protests. For the NFL or any 'journalist' to leave that out of the equation is fooling only themselves. Even folks who are either for or don't care one way or another about the protests agree that it's a factor.
Get rid of some of the commercial breaks. Also the amount of penalties are a killer, particularly the pass interference ones can just kill a game. Some games just seem like they will never end and there's no flow.
Quote:Get rid of some of the commercial breaks. Also the amount of penalties are a killer, particularly the pass interference ones can just kill a game. Some games just seem like they will never end and there's no flow.

Or at least some consistency in the level of violation that draws a penalty. The Jags London game was ridiculous.
Quote:Journalism is dead.

NFL will need to stop the TNF games and probably the global experiment as well. They overestimated the staying power of their product.

Pigs eat forever. Hogs get slaughtered.

TNF the last half of the season was okay. All season is a little much.
Quote:The National Anthem protests are THE reason many people I know have stopped watching. The family I have watched the SB with the last few years and who are huge football fans refuse to watch any NFL broadcast now thanks to the protests. For the NFL or any 'journalist' to leave that out of the equation is fooling only themselves. Even folks who are either for or don't care one way or another about the protests agree that it's a factor.

My biggest protest about the protests is the fact that people are emulating it without fully understanding what it represents or just how inciting it is. This story is perfectly representative of that. Yeah, we could have a high school cheerleading squad who possess an unrivaled social justice acuity. Or we could have a bunch of pubescent girls simply craving attention. 
Quote:My biggest protest about the protests is the fact that people are emulating it without fully understanding what it represents or just how inciting it is. <a class="bbc_url" href='http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/10/13/game-rescheduled-due-to-backlash-over-cheerleaders-national-anthem-protest/'>This story</a> is perfectly representative of that. Yeah, we could have a high school cheerleading squad who possess an unrivaled social justice acuity. Or we could have a bunch of pubescent girls simply craving attention.

Me Too-ism.
Quote:Get rid of some of the commercial breaks. Also the amount of penalties are a killer, particularly the pass interference ones can just kill a game. Some games just seem like they will never end and there's no flow.
You don't like a sequence of "TD under review - commercial - Call stands, PAT - commercial - kickoff - commercial - 2 plays for 8 yards, time out - commercial - turnover - commercial"?

Quote:My biggest protest about the protests is the fact that people are emulating it without fully understanding what it represents or just how inciting it is. This story is perfectly representative of that. Yeah, we could have a high school cheerleading squad who possess an unrivaled social justice acuity. Or we could have a bunch of pubescent girls simply craving attention. 

So no issue with the death threats against teenage girls then?
Quote:You don't like a sequence of "TD under review - commercial - Call stands, PAT - commercial - kickoff - commercial - 2 plays for 8 yards, time out - commercial - turnover - commercial"?

So no issue with the death threats against teenage girls then?

Your rush to emulate the righteous indignation and outrage movement has caused you to entirely miss the point of my post. By chance you aren't on a high school cheerleading squad, are you?
Quote:The National Anthem protests are THE reason many people I know have stopped watching. The family I have watched the SB with the last few years and who are huge football fans refuse to watch any NFL broadcast now thanks to the protests. For the NFL or any 'journalist' to leave that out of the equation is fooling only themselves. Even folks who are either for or don't care one way or another about the protests agree that it's a factor.

LOL.  Reminds me of Muhamad Ali's take on why he decided to protest the draft of Vietnam.  He said no Viet-cong ever called him a derogatory name...

Now we have athletes that want to make a peaceful statement and that's the reason you think ratings are down?  The number or nimrods that don't watch football because a few of the players kneel for the anthem would not make a blip on the ratings.  There just aren't that many ignorant people out there that are also football fans.  Dont get me wrong, there are quite a few.  But they aren't turning off the TV on Sundays at a level that would make a difference to the ratings.

No.  The cheating of the patriots, the feeling that the refs create outcomes that are desired by the NFL, too many penalties, and the fact that the game is becoming less and less football and more like Ultimate Frisbee is the reason for the lack of ratings this year.
This ratings bubble was a long time coming.  All the changes and controversies over the past 7 or 8 years have really led to this moment.  

To be honest, I think it's a good thing.  Hopefull they'll start making refs full time employees.  Hopefully they will begin to realize that they have been moving to far away from what people really like about football.  And hopefully this makes them reconsider this idea of moving games across the pond or into Mexico City.

Keep the brand strong here in the USA.  Stop watering it down for overseas markets.

I'd be surprised if that many people quit watching specifically because a backup QB for a lousy team didn't stand for the pledge.

The NFL is like the stock market. Overdue for a correction.
Quote:I'd be surprised if that many people quit watching specifically because a backup QB for a lousy team didn't stand for the pledge.
For them it's not the quality of the player or the team, it's the action itself and the fact that the NFL has done nothing about it. People don't watch football to be lectured about social (in)justice, they watch to be entertained. What employees do on their own time is one thing, what they do on company time is another. 
Quote:For them it's not the quality of the player or the team, it's the action itself and the fact that the NFL has done nothing about it. People don't watch football to be lectured about social (in)justice, they watch to be entertained. What employees do on their own time is one thing, what they do on company time is another. 

For "them"?  A bunch of bigots that can't handle free speech?  Those types of ignorant fools don't move the ratings needle.  The fact that you are not intelligent enough to realize that shows more about your lacking of understanding on how ratings works, not anything else.

The ratings slide has nothing to do with a bunch of snow-flakes that can't handle the changing culture.  The fact that games are less entertaining is the reason for the slide in ratings.
Quote:The NFL is like the stock market. Overdue for a correction.

Way over-due.  8 years or so.
The refs are absolutely putrid as well. 

The massive inconsistency is what really turns me away.

Quote:The refs are absolutely putrid as well. 

The massive inconsistency is what really turns me away.

Especially when the calls go the way of the most popular teams/players.
Pages: 1 2 3