Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What happened to this team?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
And, no, I'm not trolling, this is a legit question. 

I know, in hindsight, the decision to put all their eggs in the Bortles QB basket was a mistake. OK. If I was GM
I wouldn't have went that route, but whatever.

But more seemed to go downhill with this team than just having a below average QB as your only option behind center.
The games I have watched with the Jags this year, I barely recognize this team. Are you sure Coughlin comes to work?
These guys have no discipline; they seem like out-of-control children. How has this team devolved so much and, what
will be needed to fix it? 

(As I typed this, Jags just got a turnover.) 

Maybe it's Marone, IDK. I can't get a feel for if the players buy into him or not, or if he has lost the players. All I know is,
there is more to their problems than just not having a QB. But that could be part of a leadership void. Something is amiss,
and you guys would know better than I would. Maybe the supposed player leaders just aren't real leaders/too immature. 
You have to have some legit leaders to become/remain good. It could be the main culprit.
Injuries on offense and an obsolete scheme on defense.
The disipline whent downhill, and the bounces aren't going our way. Injuries to most of starters on offense haven't helped either. Guys weren't super disciplined in the first place and when things started going bad they fell apart.
our entire o line is gone.....

useless topic. don’t know why even started. we all know what happened
(12-02-2018, 03:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Injuries on offense and an obsolete scheme on defense.

Injuries on offense and a league that won't allow defenses to actually defend.
we’re defending pretty well today..... your point is mute. we’ve played good defense all year basically we’re just always on the field
Injuries on offense. Can't seem to get the ground game going and our receivers have dropped passes when they've managed to get open and Bortles was able to find them.

Today they seem to be better on offense though. I actually like what I am seeing right now out of Kessler. Westbrook has to get better with his routes though. He'll eventually get there.

But that's it really. Injury bug on offense. Honestly, more like the plague. And the defense can't do it all out there. They've played well enough this year though. A competent offense would have this team at least three more wins for this team.
Yep -- entire Oline is out. Our $5m TE acquistion (Jenkins) is out. Fournette has played less than half of the season, Marquis Lee was injured prior to the season.

Defense is suffering from depression knowing if we get down in a game we can't come back.
(12-02-2018, 04:16 PM)ramseyx20 Wrote: [ -> ]we’re defending pretty well today..... your point is mute. we’ve played good defense all year basically we’re just always on the field

They've played very good today but one swallow does not a summer make and this defense has allowed crucial, long drives in practically every game this season. 

75, 86, and 68 yards against the Bills. 
80, 84, and 67 yards against the Steelers.
75, 70 and 86 yards against the clots.
64, 95, and 75 yards against the Eagles. 

That's not necessarily a comment on the defense because the rules and the league won't allow dominant defense to take over games anymore (notable exceptions not withstanding). You have to be able to score points on offense in this league and with the injuries we've had, coupled with the regression from Bortles that hasn't happened.
Lost 6 or 7 offensive linemen and 3 TEs.
We were a top 10 offense last year. We lost 8 starters for the year, I think. The O looked good enough for the first four weeks (minus the tacks game).

On defense, I think it's a clear case of a bunch of young players giving up and/or trying to do too much. We just haven't got it this year. I think we're a good QB and some linemen away though--possibly better coaching as well.
I've read several messages where it was stated that a great QB would have a difficult time being effective with this team.  I subscribe to these same opinions.  If you are trying to complete passes to WR's that aren't good and couldn't make it on other teams,  TE's that can't block or are worthless as receivers, and a complete offensive line that is totally incompetent, you will be a failure at QB.
We shut luck out today....'nuff said.
The D was tired of BB5 puttng them right back in the game
(12-02-2018, 04:16 PM)ramseyx20 Wrote: [ -> ]we’re defending pretty well today..... your point is mute. we’ve played good defense all year basically we’re just always on the field

His point isnt mute at all, otherwise you wouldnt see it. His point is actually moot however.
I was listening to the postgame radio program this afternoon. It kills me how these talking heads are attacking the fans for criticizing the team all week leading up to this game. It’s as if THEY weren’t right there leading the criticism! I listen to 1010 during the week, and that’s all I heard.....biting criticism . Now, after an unlikely victory, the hypocrites act as though they’re innocent. Unbelievable.
People forget at how opportunistic our defense was last year. They scored a ton of points and caused massive amounts of sacks and turnovers. This year, the secret was out and teams learned how to exploit it. Our offense wasn’t THAT great last year, we just had incredible luck when it came to avoiding injuries

Yea any time you hold anyone to zero, incredible job on D. They played hard.
(12-02-2018, 06:40 PM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: [ -> ]People forget at how opportunistic our defense was last year. They scored a ton of points and caused massive amounts of sacks and turnovers. This year, the secret was out and teams learned how to exploit it. Our offense wasn’t THAT great last year, we just had incredible luck when it came to avoiding injuries

We had the no. 1 rushing offense in the league. Don't know where we are statistically speaking this year but I suspect we have one of, if not the worst offense in the league. Also the rest of the league was not lighting it up like they are this year, so that plays a part. 

Take away the defenses turnovers, sure, their ability to score, whatever. But take away our ability to move the ball and you get what we have today. I have a feeling we wouldn't be talking about the defenses regression if our scoring average was somewhere around 20-30 points a game.
In addition to the injuries on the o-line, we've been very good at shooting ourselves in the foot on defense. We aren't getting nearly the pressure or turnovers that we did last year, but the personal foul and unsportsmanlike penalties are back-breakers. Giving opposing offenses fresh sets of downs and favorable field position is not a recipe for success.
Injuries on the offense and big plays given up by the defense. The defense gave up big plays from time to time last year too, but I think we tend to forget because they were also *making* big plays and scoring. This year that second part hasn't been the case. The OL injuries has resulted in significant turnover resulting in the running game tumbling from 1st to 18th. Our running backs have been beat up. Our expected number one receiver was IRed in pre-season. Our passing game has always been the weak part but last year we overcame it. Let's not forget that 10-6 wasn't exactly blowing the doors off last year, a couple of plays going differently and the team could have been 8-8 so in all the excitement after the playoff run, expectations were probably way to high. I said a couple of times that I thought we might take a step back this year. I didn't expect this big of a step back but then who could have predicted the number of injuries on offense?
Pages: 1 2